• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Jakku Desert speeder Version 2.0

tiking

Ok fellows. Here is my version of the desert speeder from the new Star Wars film I mentioned earlier before. As I mentioned before, the base of this speeder was a toy version that I bought for spare parts. After seeing the Jakku speeder version put on the net, I got inspired to do a similar model but, as always, I tend to go one-step-further in my builds.
Here is the toy version, compared to the the toy version, to the real model from the film. I like the version seen for a some seconds in the desert when Rey is flying through the desert on her own speeder. As you can see below the toy version isn't all that fantastic:

toy_version_zpsodqk3iiz.jpg

Now this version of Finn's speeder, above, is ok but I did not like the gun mounts. So I had to removed them. Secondly, the thickness of the bars or braces were also a concern. They did not look good to the naked eye. So I had to completely removed them by sawing them off. I opened up the engine exhaust holes at the rear and added styrene tubings over the original bracings to hide the clumpy and glossy look of the bracings.

The one from the movie, below, is more slender in terms of the bracing work. I like that.

SW_LaunchBayHollywoodStudios_JakkuSpeeder_zpsrb8n0umn.jpg

The short screen capture of the one from the movie:

alien_zpstjwhtdjc.jpg

The netting was made of Tamiya tamiya tape. I simply used a piece of brass wire as the frame and litterally weaved the tape around and across the frame. That simple. I just love the Tamiya tapes or Scotch brand tape. As we all know that they actually make the Tamiya tapes.
I decided I wanted to make my speeder more interesing by adding some kind of equipment in the cockpit. Don't ask me what they do but since the the Jakku speeder was build by scavenging parts, then it shouldn't matter what was used or what the various parts do. Just use your imagination.
So the end results is what you see in the pics. This might not fit right with you Die-Hard Star Wars fans but just think of it as another Jakku Speeder upgrade. Thanks for looking.

jakku_desert_speeder21_zpswylq7kd6.jpg

jakku_desert_speeder25_zpshtbnya0q.jpg

jakku_desert_speeder14_zpsgy45drbe.jpg

jakku_desert_speeder22_zpsatcgd2ho.jpg

jakku_desert_speeder20_zpshtdr1cnl.jpg

jakku_desert_speeder15_zpstzzyjv2l.jpg

jakku_desert_speeder10_zpsl1q65csu.jpg

jakku_desert_speeder8_zps6ec9dgkh.jpg

jakku_desert_speeder9_zpsqw3sbryo.jpg

jakku_desert_speeder5_zps9pctyivj.jpg

jakku_desert_speeder3_zpshbhrtlqz.jpg

jakku_desert_speeder24_zpsytwqkjrx.jpg

jakku_desert_speeder19_zpspwffvzlz.jpg

jakku_desert_speeder16_zpsvvirsnuy.jpg

jakku_desert_speeder12_zpsfcyckkor.jpg

jakku_desert_speeder7_zpssoimfgw1.jpg

Glad to see you posting again! What about updating your avatar? You're back among friends so I hope your staying. ;)

Back