• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

My DeAgostini Millennium Falcon Build

I've been working on this model since July, and I figured it was high time to get around to writing the first entries to my build log.
This is a duplicate of my model-space build log with some minor differences.

Paul's build of this kit is a huge inspiration and wealth of ideas.
My options included the lovely Paragrafix photoetch set, but I wanted to do a lot more detail, so I began to scratch build the cockpit from styrene.

The cockpit is the natural place to start, since that comes complete within the first two months of parts. I really like how De Agostini is spreading out the parts of the construction. The start with the cockpit and main hold/lounge area, with external parts sprinkled in. I'm currently at five months in, and I have plenty to keep me busy for a long while, as I intend to extensively customize the hold and cockpit areas to match the filming sets from the movies.

Here is where I decided to use the original cockpit parts, and where I made my first cut:
cockpit_020_600px_zpspvxqduj8.jpg

This was taken after I had already cut the floor where I was originally intending to put in the levels that should be in the cockpit. Here is what it looked like with the dividing wall.
cockpit_021_600px_zpsokt5qze6.jpg

The floor levels-
cockpit_022_600px_zps6zieier9.jpg

After looking at things, I decided to build the entire floor.
cockpit_023_600px_zpsgdoj7zky.jpg

Here is the original cockpit resting on the new floor-
cockpit_025_600px_zpswbewgaii.jpg

Building up the side walls. You can see where I'm lengthening the cockpit to be more accurate to the ESB set.
cockpit_002_600px_zpsxcedkwxo.jpg

Here is the underside of the new floor. The washers are glued in place to allow me to place the rear seats with magnets.
cockpit_014_600px_zpsmswav6ae.jpg

Speaking of the seats... I wanted to replace the stock seats as the front pair are way too big, and the rear seats are too small and poorly detailed.
For the front seats, I purchased a 1:43 scale Porsche toy of the proper model year and cut the seats out of it.
cockpit_037_600px_zpsxhstdxmu.jpg

As you can see, the model kit seats are way larger than a more true 1/43 scale.
cockpit_030_600px_zpsknhogoxo.jpg

cockpit_029_600px_zpszanyfp3d.jpg

The new seats with the stock cockpit. I think this looks a lot better.
cockpit_031_600px_zpswrrugd6m.jpg

For the back seats, I decided to try scratch building them. Here are my first iterations of these.
cockpit_032_600px_zpsnmpsnjig.jpg

cockpit_033_600px_zpsfbwuar3n.jpg

cockpit_035_600px_zpstjxg2xbn.jpg

Next up is the main control console.

Now we're onto the main console.

The shape of the console in the kit is way off. Using set photos, I crafted my own version of the console. I also scratch built new control yokes to look more like the real props. The scale is too large, I know, but these are a first version. I'll likely build new ones later that are more accurately sized.
cockpit_017_600px_zps31dfyck9.jpg

The posts that hold them are some metal pieces that I got from an old job. There were going to be tossed out, so I grabbed a big bunch of them to use as greeblies. I have them in a couple of different sizes, and really make great looking posts for the yokes.
cockpit_018_600px_zpse3k3fipq.jpg

Above the yokes is my scratch built console. Here it is with the rest of the console that goes between the seats. I also made by own throttles as the ones with the kit were huge.
cockpit_019_600px_zpslyvvffww.jpg

cockpit_013_600px_zpsjxvke53n.jpg

cockpit_012_600px_zpsgzurk0kq.jpg

I'll be routing fiber optics through the consoles, and install a blue surface mount LED behind the little screen with the rectangular cowling.

cockpit_027_600px_zpsfbet3upv.jpg

Here are the parts together to give an idea of the size of the new extended cockpit.
cockpit_004_600px_zpsp3k7frwk.jpg

Here is my first try at the side panels.
cockpit_001_600px_zpsu1pfv7ps.jpg

Here is what my old is doing.
I'm using the Paragrafix cargo hold kit, which is fantastic. I'm also scratch building a new computer console, and replacing the wildly inaccurate bunk over the lounge seat. With the scale, the bunk would only sleep someone around Jawa size.
hold_007_600px_zpszc1roh6h.jpg

I'm going to be lighting the controls that are at the base of the bench seat, as well as the longer ones by the wall above the seat backs.
I'm going to be threading an electro luminescent wire through the lounge area to light it all up. I'm not going to worry about blinkies on this part.
Here's the channel I cut to house the EL wire.
hold_011_600px_zpsfg5lbwir.jpg

As visible in the first pic, I cut the holes in the wall for the insets.
hold_008_600px_zpsmvgrcpi5.jpg

Here are what the greeblies look like that I'm using all over the place. They're really great looking.
hold_009_600px_zpstqdialsb.jpg

I decided to scrap where I was on the bunk and start over. I wanted the wall behind the seat backs on the left side, and this method made it easier to get the bunk shape built.
hold_013_600px_zpsbdn0jzfy.jpg

I'm also moving the seat/bunk area back further as the doorway is blocked off to much by the seat and the computer.
Also, what I intended was to use a piece of thin styrene between the photo etch and the stock floor. This let me fill in the holes in the PE, as well as control the hole size where the maintenance pits are.
I first sized out a white piece as the base.
hold_002_600px_zpsjh0acjry.jpg

Later, I decided to use black styrene as the base so it won't be a problem if my priming and painting miss any spots under the floor grid.
hold_006_600px_zpslijbexv0.jpg

I also added some metal under the floor to allow me to use the magnetic chair idea here too. I'll likely either remake this chair or get a shapeways one. The scale is just too big in here.

The floor levels are all glued down and sanded now.
Here's the hold as it is today. Yesterday I worked on the alcove where the pipes are as well as moving the wall behind the computer back some for more room.
hold_003_600px_zpspjponbko.jpg

You can see that I cut a huge hole in the port side wall. My plan is to add the room that was shown in the original set mockup model in issue 16, page 13.

This shot shows the top I'm putting over the pipes. This is an early cut that I'll be refining to make it look like the film set. See issue 14 page 13 bottom left for what my goal is.
hold_004_600px_zpsc3ny9xro.jpg

This shot shows the greeblies I added to the back wall behind the pipes.
hold_pipe-wall_001_600px_zpszy2atxdq.jpg

hold_005_600px_zpsfskdm136.jpg

See, I actually build things! :yipee

Looks like it is comeing along well there Dan! Only part of the hold I have worked on is the virtual one in my head. It looks like you are picking up on a lot of the little details that they missed in the kit.

I am still working on the cockpit with mine, but have learned some neat things and am going a route similar to what Paragrafix did with their panels. I can make and print out my own decals then once I have the instrument panels laid out. Finally have the brass pattern for the rear bulkhead figured out and will go in and get after drilling them after while.

Something I noticed is that the wall behind the nav console in the hold is incorrect in the kit. Placement and shape should match the 5 support beams in front of the 2 large pipes. It should be back in alignment with the fronts of those beams and angled as well. That then makes the wall with the corridor opening a little longer where you added those holes. I believe it also allows the nav console to move back out of the way a little bit. There is a lot of tricky "stuff" in the hold that needs to be addressed in order to make it look right.

Your getting it looking good Dan! (y)

I used to do electronic assembly, and they were little plugs that came installed in the sockets of connectors. You remove these, then you can plug in whatever other kind of wire attachment system you wanted. These were kinda blanks that normally got tossed out. I kept a bunch of them, even though at the time I had no modelling plans. I like to make stuff though, and these were just too awesome not to hold on to.

I think one of the main issues with the kit dimensions is the fact that the inside and outside just don't work well together. If they kept the outer length 32", but shrunk the inside by a little bit, then it would be a much more appropriate fit. As it is, it's looking like the inside is going to be a separate display for me. That way all my hard work isn't hidden away.

Back