• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Large Custom Millennium Falcon (new pics )

Heavens Eagle

From a Galaxy Far, Far, Away. . .

OK whith a title like that there better be something substantial eh? Well there is! :D

Let's begin with the show shall we.

At present time on a bench not so far away we find . . .

Falcon-Intro.jpg~original

Falcon-Reference01.jpg~original

Falcon-Reference02.jpg~original

1Falcon-Screws-c.jpg

Falcon-Basic-001.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-002.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-003.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-004.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-005.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-006.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-007.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-008.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-009.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-010.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-011.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-012.jpg~original

Falcon-014.jpg~original

So in answer, Yes it is the DeAgostini/Model Space subscription Millenium Falcon. I started down this path of building an uber deluxe Falcon way back with the first MPC kit in the 80's. With the minimal and marginal references available at the time as well as lack of know how and tools to do anything about it, I became rather disappointed with the kit and never finished it.

This a whole different build and type of build from that one long ago. This time I have awesome references, tools and many more skills than on that time previously. In addition I will have to build slow. The parts are doled out at a small rate thus allowing changes and revisions as we go along. It's not going to be a race, but an adventure and I hope you will follow along with me.

As always questions and comments are welcome and appreciated. Enjoy your week there is much more to come! :soldier

REVISION
I was finally forced to do some tweaking to this post and added and moved some of the pictures around. In the process of doing more and more of the basic builds I had doscovered some things and am just going to do the best I can to update the things I can to reflect a better photo flow. The biggest change is adding the info pic, references pics and moving the screws to this first spot to make it easier to find. That photo is also updated and has all but one of the screws which won't show till after Issue #40.
I also changed the weeks to Issues as that is how they are published and labled.

Some of the other earlier photo posts will have some changes as well. Most likely they will get a few more photos added. If too many I will add the extras to the next post I make for a comment. My OCD kicking in but it will get all the ducks in a row.

Thanks for watching and all your wonderful comments my friends!

Coming fram a Galaxy Far Far away, an epic build.

Thats it we wont be seeing him for 2 years :D

I will be folowing along and enjoying your build mate :coolio

What a project, I can feel the wheels spinning from here Paul, this is going to be a wild ride! :popcorn

Thats it we wont be seeing him for 2 years :D

I will be folowing along and enjoying your build mate :coolio

Never worry about that Dave, I currently have 2 other kits on process (that I am actually working on) that have never had posts on them. I am way behind on my postings so I am trying this week to "Git-er-Dunn" and get somewhat caught up.

As for things I am going to do on "The Maltese" before the next shipment, I should remake the quad lasers, revise the upper round turret and revise the upper hull parts (2). I have till the end of the month to do that, even though the next week(s) posts with the parts aren't up yet.

I have noticed that there are some differences between the classic model and the CGI model. I believe that the MR kit, Fine Molds kits, and the DeAgostini kits mostly refer to the CGI models for detail. I can understand why and agree with their decisions to do so. With the CGI model everything was already scaled correctly and detailed and sized. What would you rather do, import the CGI model scale it and start in on model design or try and measure the old school one and start from scratch. I'd go with the CGI too.

So, for me, I cam choosing to do mine as the classic original filming mini that I have several hundred photos of. Also as there are some variences from the first movie to the second I am specifically choosing to do the model of the Falcon from "Empire Strikes Back".

As for my references, the primary reference is the original filming model followed by CGI models on the damaged or obscure parts. Cockpit and Hold references are also going to be from ESB as 3rd level references, then all the 3rd party or enthusiast reference items to fill in the gaps or in some cases improve the look of some areas.

Dave you might :smack me once in a while if I get distracted and don't keep up with this. :D

Coming from a Galaxy Far Far away, an epic build.

Everyone, I have a question. :bang head

I would ike to hear your educated opinions on my use of the copyrighted photos in my builds. My useage is never just to have a photo but to specifically point out differences from the kit part(s) to the original model or set.

You can see above how I would be using the material. Maybe Saul and Chuck could weigh in on this and give me some idea of how to continue this for others benefit without become a target for the wrath of Lucas and Disney.

You have to clearly state on the article at least once that the pictures are used for educational non profit use only and no copyright infringement is intended. When possible also state the source of each picture. Hope that helps

Looking forward to this.

Copyright infringement usually centers around trying to make a profit off of someone's originally generated work.

You could produce printed material including photographs of their model (sprues, built, whatever) that you took and it's your copyright. But without permission, you couldn't reprint their model photos, screen shots, etc.

When in doubt, just credit the photo.

Generally, what you are doing is promoting their product anyway, so if it ever came to their attention, they shouldn't be upset. That is of course that you aren't hosting a website named 'This model sucks, don't buy it!' and use all their photos, then they may have an issue. :D

I just saw a blatant infringement the other day: the box art for a resin zombie model that used a screen shot from 'The Walking Dead'. No reason in the world for it, the model was just a generic zombie form, yet they used an iconic promo shot from the series. Nothing will probably come from it, but it makes me laugh.

Actually, Dave, yes it does. Big thanks my friend!

Probably would not make any difference to the Modelspace forum. I suspect even a hand written letter from Lucas and the head of Disney wouldn't change their minds. That is what brought it up. I don't want MA or myself to get in trouble though and I suspect that if it isn't blatent and done in a proper way Disney/Lucas would pass on messing with us anyway.

Ausf thanks for your input! Common sense is what it is about. Truely I am beginning to think it is more about DeAgostini preventing folks pointing out the blatent errors. I have already discovered a handful of errors. Most are not that big, but a couple are quite a bit different. As their line is that it is as perfect and accurate as it can be made I would have to call "Bull Roar" on them.

Still a really decent model though.

Press on Paul, What Jeff said is correct to the best of my knowledge. You, nor I as the owner of the website are making a dime of the use of those images.

:popcorn

Yeah Bob, the way they have been used is purely for education on correcting the faults found in the kit. Actually the admin at the other site agreed with me, but dem was da rules and he had to enforce them.

On the other hand we might end up with some new alliance members from this. :D

I will have a couple of slight revisions to my first post to help with the possible legality issues, and week 2 is in process with more detail pics and parts.
In addition I will probably start my cutting and chopping this weekend. Still have some other projects going on so it will be hit and miss spot work for a while.

:geek

You might enjoy these guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaAepL-FgbI

Yeah, Dave, there are a bunch of videos on Utube about building this kit. The British I beleive are up to week 25 to 30. Seems like most are out of the box versions. Not many are into cutting and chopping things to get them right.

Watched some last night to get a looksee on the future releases and can say that some of the future magazines will be showing some of the photos I am referencing. (guess that is probably why they don't want the photos on their site)

Anyway, I am working on the week 2 post and it should be a good one. I will be chopping up the upper turret and revising it, (correcting) with how to do it, AND reference photos. So check back soon.

Well may I suggest these I know its not your kit I just love how it looks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkcwm09wYHI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o169aVOm8rg

Hey everyone, I would like some more input here. Been doing a lot of digging for photos and information on this beastie and I have been finding a lot of photos of the 5 foot filming miniature, and pretty much zip on the 32" mini which this is supposed to be a model of.

Here is a pic of what I am talking about:

Falcon-Q01.jpg~original

The problem with this is that the 5 footer seems to have some extra detail and some more apparent differences in some visible places. For one the top turret disk in this kit does not have a lot of surface detail while on my references (the 5 footer) it has a nice little bit of detail with some very visible differences. The biggest differences are the quad guns are way different, and the mount area on the disk is much nicer looking on the 5 foot model than on this kit.

As it is supposed to be a really accurate kit of the 32" prop, that would be one way to look at it. I just have no references for that prop and would like to detail it up.

While I don't need it to be exact, I am feeling like I should at least go for it for my own sense of correctness. On the other hand what is on the kit "might" be correct too. I just have no way to determine that. :hmmm

Slap me around a bit guys as I would really like to do the mod but don't want to mod it and make it really wrong. I have at least confirmed some things, it would be easier if someone had some good topside photos of the filming 32" prop.

I guess I just don't really trust the guys making this beast. When I hear one thing and the photos don't really match, I question. :frantic

Thanks all!

Paul I would guess they have more detail on the big one because it would be more visible than the smaller ones that were probably used for transit shots of the Falcon flying. Since your build will be static (I assume :rotf) I think you need to up the game on it! Not like you're pressed for time on this. :rotf

:popcorn

Back