• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

U.S.S. ENTERPRISE NCC1701"CAPTAIN TO THE BRIDGE"

MrT

Master at Arms
Staff member
I am about to begin a large project that is not exactly unusual or unique. It's been done before, but not by me.

https://youtu.be/B594jsKbsss

I will be starting on the 1/350 scale version of the original series starship Enterprise from Polar Lights.

POL880.jpg

The build will include the lighting also from Polar Lights.

TOY-SCL2-15406.jpg

TOY-SCL2-15406_01.jpg

I am going to attempt replicate the paint scheme of the original series movie model. I have found images of the original model being restored by the Smithsonian Institute.

11219p.jpg

ent_smithsonian_01.jpg

Should be fun.

Spock-spock-star-trek-smiley-emoticon-000554-facebook.gif

U.S.S. ENTERPRISE NCC1701

Get your geek on!

This should be interesting. I'm sure you're going to nail this.

Looking at the paint scheme on the original I see all the techniques we try to learn, streaking, shading and some washes.

Looking forward to this Terry. :geek

Watching this with interest.

I shelved mine when Bob pushed me into the chaser lights under the viewer screen. :D

I've since decided to go direct production model, including the blank side since the only way I can display it would make all the shuttle bay and bridge detailing invisible.

There's tons of info out there, including an updated color analysis and a guy who timed the Smithsonian bussard motors (apparently they only light and run it at certain times during the day). I think the kit motors turn too fast or something, I can't remember. I know there is a lot of complaints about them being loud, but I bet some insulation around the mount will help.

I'm sure this is going to be special in your hands, I've seen many built up, and I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but a lot of the Star Wars/Star Trek models out there aren't the best airbrush handlers and they're very resistant to critical help with decals/glass, etc.

It's a weird type of build, it requires a pristine finish of seams, but it needs to be prepainted for light blocking and the window inserts.

Again, looking forward to your solutions and will shamelessly steal them afterwards. :hmmm

This should be a nice one! Also have one of these but no lighting kit (yet) Then have 3 of the refit kits (all original release) and 2 of the NX-01 Enterprise.

Enjoy the build Terry! I will be watching with a lot of interest (y)

:popcorn

Watching this with interest.

I shelved mine when Bob pushed me into the chaser lights under the viewer screen. :D

I've since decided to go direct production model, including the blank side since the only way I can display it would make all the shuttle bay and bridge detailing invisible.

There's tons of info out there, including an updated color analysis and a guy who timed the Smithsonian bussard motors (apparently they only light and run it at certain times during the day). I think the kit motors turn too fast or something, I can't remember. I know there is a lot of complaints about them being loud, but I bet some insulation around the mount will help.

I'm sure this is going to be special in your hands, I've seen many built up, and I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but a lot of the Star Wars/Star Trek models out there aren't the best airbrush handlers and they're very resistant to critical help with decals/glass, etc.

It's a weird type of build, it requires a pristine finish of seams, but it needs to be prepainted for light blocking and the window inserts.

Again, looking forward to your solutions and will shamelessly steal them afterwards. :hmmm

Yeah there is all kinds of geeky stuff out there about this, but I'm going to stress over how fast the bussard collectors turn. I'll be happy if it all works. The noise factor I will check into, but again that may be just something I'll have to live with.

The build up will be different. The saucer section in particular may take a lot of sanding and rescribing.

Thanks for the interest.

:)

Getting started! I added liquid masking to the clear parts of the bridge before painting.

DSC06331.JPG

Not much of a start, but a start.

The Bridge....

Enterprise-TOS-Bridge-2.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Spock-spock-star-trek-smiley-emoticon-000554-facebook.gif

Terry,

This will be interesting! I'm having a hard time imagining what the bridge of a 1- 350th scale Enterprise would be like, size wise?

Anything for comparison? Will you be able to see it when it is finished?

Bob

Terry,

This will be interesting! I'm having a hard time imagining what the bridge of a 1- 350th scale Enterprise would be like, size wise?

Bob

The bridge is just a little larger than a quarter.

Yeah you will be able to see through the clear dome over it.

B)

Terry,

Bob

The bridge is just a little larger than a quarter.

Yeah you will be able to see through the clear dome over it.

B)

Whoa!!! I hope you have a good pair of optivisors Terry! :yipee

This is gonna be interesting!

You;ll nail it!

Bob

Here is a scene from the original pilot showing the bridge from the outside.

DdP8c.jpg

Here some other folks work showing the bridge.

IMG_4730.jpg

jw_ent350d.jpg

I also ordered some more special help today.

s-l1600~3.jpg

s-l500-4.jpg

s-l500-3.jpg

The plot thickens.

B)

If you're using the Grafix kit, you might as well add the chaser (thank MP for that insanity):

Never knew the bridge was a clear dome. It was never shown on the series that I know of. And I think it was more believable in B&W when it was on TV back in the 70's. We only had a B&W TV. The color makes it look cheesy. :popcorn Gary S.

I remember that scene, only time they did that view from what I recall.

Jeff don't blame me, you were the one who took the joke as a challenge

Back