• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

AMC DH2-"WINGS ARE WIRED"

MrT

Master at Arms
Staff member
When Wing Nut Wings let it be known that they would release DH2 I knew I would have to have one. So in January I put my money down and got one
I can't wait any longer to start. I want this to be done by the end of June in time to take it to EagleQuest in Dallas so don't look for me to work on
much else for a while. I love this plane! Oh man all those wires. Oh and yeah this is the plane that stopped those Fokkers over the western front.
Here are some pictures to get started.

Terry B)

DSC09219.JPG

DSC09221.JPG

DSC09227.JPG

DSC09228.JPG

DSC09229.JPG

DSC09230.JPG

DSC09231.JPG

DSC09233.JPG

DSC09234.JPG

DSC09235.JPG

DSC09236.JPG

AMC DH2-LET THE WORK BEGIN

Well, that one is aptly named. It looks like a challenge :popcorn

Cheers, Christian B)

I want to know what you're going to use for rigging. I've been looking at this really thin lead stuff, looks good and would not lead to sagging lines.

I want to know what you're going to use for rigging. I've been looking at this really thin lead stuff, looks good and would not lead to sagging lines.

I will use 1 to 2 pound test fishing line like I used on the DH9.

DSC05681.JPG

Terry, would you mind going over how you make those buckles again? I need to do some for my Ninak. How many are there? :gogo

Ok Paul wants to know how I am making my rigging. Now keep in mind that there are plenty of folks that do this better and there is plenty of stuff you can buy that can do this for you. Just remember "I'm Cheap" so I will and go through what I do and hopefully it will make sense.

Ok first you need to make eyelets to attach your rigging to. The WingNut Wings kit that I have has all the rigging attachment points molded in so it easy to locate where the eyelets will be located. But first you have to make the eyelets. For the eyelet I am using .010 to .015 diameter copper wire that is bent around a .031 to .040 diameter rod. I then twist the copper using the rod. Here some pictures to help.

DSC05514.JPG

DSC05515.JPG

DSC05518.JPG

Then you trim off the excess wire and you are ready to attach the eyelet.

DSC05519.JPG

DSC05521.JPG

As I said the kit has molded in rigging attachment points. For your eyelet to fit well you will need to drill the out. I attach the eyelet with a small amount to super glue.

DSC05522.JPG

DSC05523.JPG

Next I make the turnbuckle using the same copper wire and rod I use for the eyelet. Wrap the wire around the rod the same way you would make springs or headset cords.

DSC05524.JPG

DSC05525.JPG

Cut a small section to make the turnbuckle.

DSC05527.JPG

To make the rigging I use 3 pound test fishing line. Cut length of line and thread the turnbuckel onto it.

DSC05530.JPG

Then thread the loose end through the eyelet holding the turnbuckel between your fingers.

DSC05531.JPG

Now take the loose end and thread back though the turnbuckel.

DSC05532.JPG

Pull it tight and add some super glue.

DSC05533.JPG

DSC05535.JPG

Trim the excess line.

DSC05536.JPG

Repeat the process on the other end and SHAZAM!! you have rigging wire.

DSC05537.JPG

If all goes well you have a nice tight line that you will not need to heat tighten. If you do have some sag in your lines then you may need to heat shrink them and that should don the trick.
I hope this explains how I do this. I will happy to anwser any question you might have.

Terry B)

Thanks a bunch Terry, I now have no fear of my Ninak. :dude

Speaking of crazy.....I worked on the rudder peddle last night and added the real return spring.

Terry

DSC09238.JPG

DSC09239.JPG

Looks good Terry but seems like it would need one for the opposite deflection as well . :fencing

Cheers, Christian B)

Back