• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

King Tiger Late Production

Heavens Eagle

Have had this one standing by until the build was set up. I had already had it OK'd in the pilot thread so let's at least get a post up.

KingTiger-001.jpg~original

KingTiger-002.jpg~original

KingTiger-003.jpg~original

There is the initial post to just get things rolling. King Tiger Late Production is now taken. Hurry up and take your spot folks! This is where we TaNGLE! :bang head

While doing computer work this last week, I cleaned up and drilled out the Friul tracks for this beastie. Something I found in the process is that a lot of the links were bowed slightly. While the white metal castings are decently detailed, the metal is fairly soft and easily bent.

So for now the right and left tracks are all pinned together. Have not glued or trimmed the pins yet. Once the suspension is all built. I can fit the track lengths and pull a pin to remove the extra.

Don't have any pics at the moment as I don't have the software set up on the new 'puter.

While doing computer work this last week, I cleaned up and drilled out the Friul tracks for this beastie. Something I found in the process is that a lot of the links were bowed slightly. While the white metal castings are decently detailed, the metal is fairly soft and easily bent.

So for now the right and left tracks are all pinned together. Have not glued or trimmed the pins yet. Once the suspension is all built. I can fit the track lengths and pull a pin to remove the extra.

Don't have any pics at the moment as I don't have the software set up on the new 'puter.

:hmmm I'll keep that in mind when I do the tracks on my Tiger. :drinks
:popcorn

I have been working on this kit as well as my T-90 and the gigantic Arizona. Right now the Arizona is eating time in doing research.

Here is a quick update to what the Tiger has had done.

KingTiger-004.jpg~original

Normally I would have just cleaned up the wheels by hand and not thought about it, but what with Bob and all his lathe envy I decided to try usning mine to clean up the wheels for a change. Probably went a bit faster overall, but the time spent setting up chucks probably made it somewhat moot. :idonno

KingTiger-005.jpg~original

KingTiger-006.jpg~original

KingTiger-008.jpg~original

At some point I will do some paint work, but for some reason I have never been one to just jump into doing paint work. Once started I am fine, but it is the getting started part. :facepalm

Very nice Paul. I guess I'm going to have to get the small lathe out of storage.

I do use my lathe some Kenny. (much more for hobby than what it is supposed to be used for. watch repair) The thing to remember is thata watch lathe works very similar to a wood lathe. There is a tool rest and all the cutting is done by hand. Care has to be taken so the cutting tool doesn't catch and gouge the plastic, but that is where SHARP tools and constant practise come in handy.

It probably did save a little time using the lathe to clean the wheels but the main thing is it was much easier.

Back