• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Polish Firefly: Zemsta Dewertusa

Sharkmouth

Information Overload
Staff member
Not your usual entry as I won't be the one building it if all goes as planned!

While struggling with seasonal depression, after recuperating from diverticulitis, my mojo disappeared until Hubert (Dewertus) asked me for a Tamiya Firefly. I wondered why he went from 35th to 48th but he insisted he saw it in 35th scale. Hubert builds models with his son John so low parts count and superb engineering are mandatory.

It turns out that Tamiya reboxed the Asuka (formerly known as Tasca) Firefly, added figures, and increased the price. Obviously, the Tasca kit is superbly engineered but it has at least three times the parts with some tiny as well. Yet, I didn't want to disappoint him. Hubert had made it clear he doesn't care for resin (remember the Tamiya MiG-15bis?) so my leftover Firefly turrets would have to do. Sadly, I only had one Dragon Firefly turret left and it has issues.

However, it can be built into a nice kit if one takes the time and if you have an AMS suffering modeler as family.

This Polish Firefly is named Zemsta II (Revenge II):
h8e36df3.jpg

The black lines show what needs attention:
HubertsFireflies03.jpg

HubertsFireflies04.jpg

Area around cupola reshaped (upper right with original look at bottom) and matches the Tamiya part.
HubertsFireflies05.jpg

Hull needs some work as well as the rolled sections are modeled as rough castings:
HubertsFireflies01.jpg

HubertsFireflies07.jpg

More to come,

Is this the same subject?

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/sto-lat-a-century-of-reborn-poland/153490-polish-firefly-rycerz-dewertus

Is this the same subject?

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/sto-lat-a-century-of-reborn-poland/153490-polish-firefly-rycerz-dewertus

Nope! While both are Firefly Mk IC, this one is a Composite hull (note the cast front with rolled steel rear). It is available as a kit from Dragon & Tasca/Asuka so no scratch-building, simply correcting the kit parts to make it easier for Hubert to build.

The Knight (Rycerz) is all rolled steel and I am only providing the correct bogies and scratch-built Firefly turret for Hubert to add to his Tamiya M4 Early (kit 35190).

Regards,

Hubert, Zemsta had the later upswept bogies as in your Tamiya M4 Early (35190) kit. I have modified the lower hull to accept the Tamiya parts. Also, I am sending you Academy wheels adapted for the Tamiya bogies (Parts 15 & 17) so it will be correct for this Firefly. Just make sure to slide them on with the seam on the inside as shown in the photo.

ZemstaAcademyWheels.jpg

Note, I am not sending these bogies, just using my set to test the fit of the Academy wheels (which has details on both sides) to the Tamiya kit parts 15 & 17.

Regards,

Well, instead of using your bogies on a different hull, I found one in my stash which I converted the rear plate to Chrysler production, added bogies with the correct wheels from a different Academy kit since they fit the Italeri kit axles without alteration. Those shown earlier have been drilled out for the Tamiya bogies and therefore unsuitable.

ZemstaIIhull.jpg

The red areas point out what was removed for the Chrysler production since it differed form the hull in the Italeri M4A1 (in this case M32B1) kit. The outer tow tabs (with arrows) needed removing after I drilled out the ones I kept. The door stops and tow hook mount were also removed.

Regards,

WOW but when you do detail, you DO detail

I fear perfect kits as I will not be able to add my touch until finishing stages like paint and stowage. I actually enjoy this type of old school modeling.

Regards,

Back