• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

My new technique for doing wood.

jknaus

Administrator
First off paint a base colour for the wood. Light for light wood and dark for dark. In this case I used Tamiya flesh as a base.

DSC04440.JPG

Then I used my oil paint and dabbed on a coat of in this case Burnt Sienna.

DSC04441.JPG

Wiped most off with a wide brush.

DSC04442.JPG

I would stop here and just brush out till I got the shade and striations I wanted doing it my old way. I read a new tip and added some yellow ochre. It will help give tonal variations to the "wood". In this pic too much ochre was applied. But this is the back side and not so important.

DSC04443.JPG

This is my palette by the way. The oil paint sits on cardboard or card file so the linseed oil whichks out and the oil paint dries faster.

DSC04444.JPG

Again wipe it out. You get some nice tonal variations.

DSC04445.JPG

Not tip number 2 I learned. Use some foam such as what you get in the after market kits and wipe some more. This gives awesome striations.

DSC04446.JPG

DSC04447.JPG

DSC04448.JPG

This pic looks better,

DSC04436.JPG

In a couple of days I will paint this with Tamiya Clear yellow or orange or a mix. Not sure yet. Will post more pics then.

James

Yeah, thanks James! I'll keep that in mind the next time I try to simulate wood (so it doesn't turn out looking like dirt!)

:D

hanks all. Today I went and sprayed the Tamiya clear yellow.

DSC04450.JPG

Now all it needs is a pin wash for the panel lines and I think its a good representation of wood.

James

Back