• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Making Scale Canvas and Tarps

razorboy

Image1.jpg

For years I have made my own scale model canvas and tarps from facial tissues. Toilet paper usually proves too porous in appearance for most scales and does not hold up as well as facial tissue when wet. You will need scissors, facial tissue, white glue (I use Elmers), a soft paint brush and a small container of water.
Image2.jpg

Begin by cutting the facial tissue into the desired shape and size fitting it as required. Once you are satisfied with the shape and size, place it in the desired location. Mixing a small amount of white glue and water together (50/50 mix), apply the mixture gently to the tissue taking care to retain the proper positioning. Only mix as much as you will need for one coat at a time and as I said, apply gently.
Image3.jpg
I use an inexpensive, soft, 'crafts-type' paintbrush to apply the glue/water mix but as I said before - BE CAREFUL! The facial tissue will tear once wet.

Image4.jpg
During the initial "Coating" be sure to keep the tissue in the desired location, gently fitting it, folding it and otherwise setting it in it's permanent place. Once completely dry (this normally takes about 10 minutes), apply another light coat of fresh mix, then when that coat is dry, apply a third and final coat.
Note: I usually mix the second and third coats a little "Stiffer", instead of a 50/50 glue-water mix I generally go 60-65% glue / 40-35% water.

Once the last coat was dry on this M-41, I did a "Pre-fit" the PE items before permanently attaching them.
Image5.jpg

Image6.jpg

Allow the "Canvas" to completely cure overnight before painting and be extra cautious if using "Washes" to weather or shade the piece.
The canvas mantlet cover on this M-41 is now ready for some Khaki paint followed by weathering and shading.
Note: When weathering with washes, if your "Canvas" is not completely cured it may re-hydrate and rip!
Image7.jpg

Below is a finished, painted, weathered and shaded tarp on a 1/35 scale SdKfz.250/1.
Image8.jpg

This canvas 2cm ammunition rack cover was made using this method. Note the added detail possible through simply wrinkling the wet “Canvas”, adding folds and creases.
Image9.jpg

© 2010 razorboy miniatures - All rights reserved

Excellent sbs. A home made canvas looks so much better than store bought in my opinion. (y) (y) (y)
James

Thanks for the great SbS (y)
I use the wipes used for cleaning glasses, and it look so much better than the plastic covers and stowage.
//Mats

Thanks for the tip.
do you use a single ply of tissue or multiple plys?

Bill

I used the glass cleaner wipes to make the tilt on the deuce and a half. Always a great tip to read about. Thanks for sharing Dave. We could use more how to articles like this. (y)

Back