• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hound

Chris ITA

Hi Guys,

well here is my first entry in a TnT group build.

In line with my long term personal project to model all the armour used in the Dieppe Raid, here is the second Dingo I'm doing (I've already done Hunter) HOUND

hound.jpg

Here's the obligatory paper shot (sorry,didn't have a paper today so I used last Saturday's)
IMG_8896.jpg

and here are the goodies:
IMG_8893.jpg

and to prove I haven't started it, here it is in the bag, plus the AM and decals from Echelon:
IMG_8897.jpg

And of course, there will be a fair bit of scrtaching going on

One thing I have been unable to source is a set of Hussar's wheels that are correct for this build, with a chevron tyre pattern. Does anyone know where I can get Hussar Dingo wheels?

Chris :)

Cool! Now Chris, you understand in this group the objective it to get as lost to the reference picture as possible.

MoonPuppy, as lost to the reference picture? Watcha been lapping up?
Chris he means as CLOSE to the reference picture...

Regards,

Chris ITA wrote:
In line with my long term personal project to model all the armour used in the Dieppe Raid,

:blink That's an epic project!

When I saw Mark Bannerman's Dieppe Churchill with the seagull on the tank I really wanted to do something similar. I'll be watching with interest.

Ted

sharkmouth wrote:
MoonPuppy, as lost to the reference picture? Watcha been lapping up?
Chris he means as CLOSE to the reference picture...

Regards,

:blink

OK, I'm going...somewhere...not sure yet.

moon puppy wrote:
Cool! Now Chris, you understand in this group the objective it to get as lost to the reference picture as possible.

I know moonpuppy, thats why I wanted to join the group build. Getting it close to the photos is where the scratching (and fun) comes into it.

Here are the three I've already done for my Dieppe project:
HUNTER
Hunter-1.jpg

IMG_5682.jpg

RINGER
Ringer-1.jpg

Ringer40.jpg

'Battle Buggy'
battlebuggyphoto-1.jpg

IMG_5533.jpg

IMG_5547-1.jpg

The project is to model them all from photos after the battle, mostly form the 'dieppe through the lens book' and the bundesarchiv

in fact the need to give all the churchills interiors was what lead to me starting my company ;)

amazing chris - just amazing!

in the end will you combine all builds to one single HUGE diorama? that would be really phantastic!

Thanks guys :)

I should say, I don't intend to build them all for the group build :eek:hmy: 30 tanks, a handful of armoured cars and a universal carrier!

I might do another tank yet though ;)

Anyhooo, I have made a start on this one:

this is a very small vehicle, about 7cm long or the same size (maybe a touch shorter) than the Tamiya Willys Jeep

Despite that the Eduard set has around 90 pieces :huh: although not all will be used

I started on the left wall with the brackets for the map board, clips for the spare bren barrel and some other stowage items
IMG_8902.jpg

I also added a bren barrel (with the ends drilled out) and I will add teh stowage missing in the kits

Next I had a look at the battery and radio. The tamiya kit battery is an ugly formless lump and there is no radio (despite two mounts on the outside of the Dingo!)

Eduard provide both these items, but this set comes from the time when etch company believed anything could be rendered in etched brass, and frankly not everything 3D can be made in a 2D medium, so I substituted one of my own company's number 19 sets and a battery from my Matilda interior kit
IMG_8900.jpg

IMG_8898.jpg

then being a bit cross eyed from little brass bits I had a look at the outside.

There should be weld seams on the outside (the Dingo was rare in early war british armour for being of all welded construction) like this
dingo_6_of_6.jpg

This is what you get on the Tamiya box:
IMG_8903.jpg

hmmmmm, weld free :(

never mind, styrene strip soaked in poly cement and scalpel tip to the rescue!:

IMG_8904.jpg

More soon, all comments welcome :)

Great step-by-step Chris, I'll follow along as I build my Miniart Mk1. I'd like to convert a dingo to a Lynx sometime.

Thanks Ted. There's a great site for Dingos: Daimler Site

Also, Brach Model do a Lince Here I've seen it, and its a beauty of a kit :)

Anyway, the detailling of this beast continues:

I replaced the radio ariel and scraped out the air louvres:
IMG_8924.jpg

IMG_8923.jpg

I also completed the driver's compartment with eduard parts, and plenty of scratch work:
IMG_8929.jpg

IMG_8927.jpg

IMG_8928.jpg

All comments and criticisms welcome :)

Looks like a great project , I have both ET etch sets ( fenders & basic ) this kit but have not been able to pick up the old dingo kit yet ! :unsure:
http://etmodel.blogbus.com/logs/42118261.html

Jenny :kiss:

Thanks Guys :) Jenny; I did think about the ET set, but in the end I decided to go a bit more......DIY

So, first I finished the interior and closed it up:
IMG_8943.jpg

Then I sorted out the rear, scribing the missing panel lines, adding the starter crank socket and adding the missing rivet detail and crash bar
IMG_8939.jpg

IMG_8938.jpg

IMG_8937.jpg

Next I decided to knock up some fenders from foil. I used the foil from a pie tin (washed out of course) then rolled and teased flat, and burnished over the original kit parts.

This brings three distinct advantages. First it is scale thinckess at about 0.2mm rather than the 3mm tamiya fenders. Secondly it is excellent for modelling dinks and dents, and third it allowed me to model the stowage bins open (which is not possible to do with the tamiya parts:

IMG_8956.jpg

IMG_8957.jpg

IMG_8958.jpg

IMG_8960.jpg

IMG_8959.jpg

I need to finish adding all the detail to the fenders;lights, lifting eyes, tools and whatnot, then the suspension. Anyone that knows this kit will know it doesn't really do suspension, just a badly moulded spring and a rod, so I'll have to knock something suitable up ;)

Well Chris , that is a really way kewl techanique for making those fenders and looks as easy as pie ! :laugh: :unsure: Well I thought it was funny . Did you use the same method with the fender of the Churchill ? Geez , you sure love those Churchills ;) , I think we should call you Winston from now on :pp !

Jenny :kiss:

Thanks Guys :)

Moonpuppy, wait till you see what I'm doing with the suspension :blink

Jenny, I used brass sheet for the churchill fender, but if I had it to do again I'd use the foil technique.

"I think we should call you Winston from now on"

Perhaps not, Winston was so mortified at the failure of the raid that he wanted his name taken off the tank :unsure: Luckily for the Churchill it proved itself time and again in the future, just a shame they never could put a good gun in it

got loads done this weekend and added all the fender stowage and the missing suspension

4872328153_83f78cfed2_z.jpg

4872935758_e373acd54a_z.jpg

4872328529_fe047bd89d_z.jpg

4872328689_8fac3f2a11_z.jpg

4872936306_5d8c303bf3_z.jpg

4872936452_e893b71015_z.jpg

Here's the suspension, not my best work, but remember it will be behind the wheels.

The only part here that is a 'replacement' are the springs. the rest was absent in the original kit, so I had to dig about a bit for some good reference

4872329277_c9c4bc0845_z.jpg

4872936890_d3e4925d15_z.jpg

The only things left are the wheels and roof. The Hussar wheels are apparently not released until September, but I have no patience, so I've come up with another solution ;) ...................

As always, criticisms and comments welcome :)

Chris , ......... love your work man , ............ the whole Dieppe series you've got going is beautiful !!!!

Chris , ......... love your work man , ............ the whole Dieppe series you've got going is beautiful !!!!

Back