• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Couple of 'rare' F-4 shots

ij001

Hey folks - mentioned before that the F-4 is the 'foundation' of my obsession with military aircraft and over the years I've seen so many, many photos of so many, many rare and one-off schemes etc.

Well here's two I just saw via the USMC Phantom Facebook page.

heabad2e.jpg

VF-33 F-4J's in three different schemes at the same time. Especially interesting for me as my 1:32 Tamiya 'J' will be wearing one of these schemes !!

h87d6357.jpg

This is really odd, a VMFA-232 'S' in a lo-vis scheme that I have NEVER seen before in any reference book. Probably early to mid 1980's.

:hmmm Hmmmm, think I can see an F-4 build in the near future. Have a great weekend everyone. :drinks

Ian.

Crazy, haven't seen a mixed hi/lo vis bird before...not counting CAG birds. You're guess at the time frame would coincide w/ the change over from high to low vis schemes.

My guess would be that it's a 'transition' scheme. In the early 1980's the 'rules' such as they were, were vague and open to some wild interpretation. Could be overall Light Gull Grey with 'Compass Grey' titles and full colour/full size stars'n bars... Honestly I couldn't say, which was the reason for posting...

...it's a fascinating photo, and properly qualifies for the 'Snapshot in Time' thread. :coolio

Ian.

Do we have a "Snapshot in Time" ribbon? If not this would be a good one to make an award for. The requirements would be that the model build has to have a printed out photo of the scene as part of the build.

My Ju88 is going to be one of these if I ever get back on it. Have 2 slightly different photos of one being readied for bomb loading in France. Clean and fairly simple but with figures and some tackle on a concrete airstrip.

Snap shot in time was just a forum for dioramas but it never really caught on. One of the forums that will not make the migration to the new site.

That F4 with the fad job, maybe it's a trick of the light?

Back