• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A Tribute to my Grandad

White_Wolf

Master at Arms
I want to do a small vignette based on the only two photos of my mum's dad. He was a pilot, was killed in 1943 on the Eastern Front.
He was the pilot of a IAR-39, crew of three.

Two photos below, masterfully restored by SA Dave - thanks again mate :notworthy

hcb53293.jpg

h2480f36.jpg

I will scan the originals and post them here later.

The kit is from Azure, the IAR 39 in 1/72 scale, box and some progress pics below.

h77cca3c.JPG

h5018e4e.JPG

h8f9752c.JPG

Fuselage painted on the inside. I have the instruments and the two machine guns to paint, then weather. I will use three figures that came from Revell's Monty's Caravan kit. Have to process them a bit, remove the berets and change the pose, that's going to be fun :D

Hope I get it right with the plane. This has always been a bit of a Nemesis to me.

Thanks for watching,

Laurence

Looking forward to this :popcorn

Thanks Bob, so am I. Not sure at all about the plane, never managed to get one right so far.

The kit is a mixture of plastic, resin and PE. Already not 100% impressed with it. Lots of sanding so far, not to mention that the struts positions on the lower wing is off by 5mm according to the instructions - they tell you to move them :vmad
This is when I really get a lot more appreciation for a Tamiya / Revell kit to name just two.

Cheers,
Laurence

I want to do a small vignette based on the only two photos of my mum's dad. He was a pilot, was killed in 1943 on the Eastern Front.
He was the pilot of a IAR-39, crew of three.

Two photos below, masterfully restored by SA Dave - thanks again mate :notworthy

hcb53293.jpg

h2480f36.jpg

I will scan the originals and post them here later.

The kit is from Azure, the IAR 39 in 1/72 scale, box and some progress pics below.

h77cca3c.JPG

h5018e4e.JPG

h8f9752c.JPG

Fuselage painted on the inside. I have the instruments and the two machine guns to paint, then weather. I will use three figures that came from Revell's Monty's Caravan kit. Have to process them a bit, remove the berets and change the pose, that's going to be fun :D

Hope I get it right with the plane. This has always been a bit of a Nemesis to me.

Thanks for watching,

Laurence

Outstanding ! Looking for more progress on this one (y) (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

This is when I really get a lot more appreciation for a Tamiya / Revell kit to name just two.

Cheers,
Laurence

I heard that, you got a great support team here, sing out with any issues and I know you'll get a load of suggestions on how to get past it.

:zen

Great pics of your grandfather- and I'm sure you'll do him proud with this build. Tough kits can be a lot of fun, in the end. Cheers!

h2480f36.jpg

They got hollywood good looks, the guy on the right looks like a young Di Niro. Did you say that is your Granddad?

Laurence, I'll be :popcorn Great tribute to your grandfather! (y) Stuff like this is what keeps me going with my model building!! Having a personal connection to a subject. Thus, my "Theme Builds" thread.

h2480f36.jpg

They got hollywood good looks, the guy on the right looks like a young Di Niro. Did you say that is your Granddad?

In this one, he is in the middle. The other photo, he is the one to the left.
On the original photos, he wrote a few words too. Those photos were taken in 1941, they are in amazing condition for 76yo material.

Thanks everyone for your kind words :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

In this one, he is in the middle. The other photo, he is the one to the left.
On the original photos, he wrote a few words too. Those photos were taken in 1941, they are in amazing condition for 76yo material.

Ah the one who looks like John Garfield. (y)

h2480f36.jpg

Or Sean Penn. It's fun to find artifacts of ancestors, really brings them to life instead of being just old pictures. :drinks

Back