• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Upcoming builds - well, hopefully ....

White_Wolf

Master at Arms
I have been flirting with this idea for a while now and I am keen to start putting things together ...it will all be dedicated to the brilliant Romanian flight pioneers Henri Coanda, Aurel Vlaicu and Traian Vuia.

I want to prepare for the upcoming competitions three scratch builds as it shows in these pics below:

h8ab70cc.JPG

The one above is the world's first plane without a propeller. There have been claims that this was the first turbo-jet, thermo-jet, etc-jet and so on. Nobody can deny the obvious fact there is no propeller. The plane was displayed at the Paris Expo in 1910 and had a short and rather dramatic first and last flight. The jet coming out the engine did not go the way the inventor thought it would, but rather lingered along the fuselage causing a fire. The inventor's name was Henri Coanda. After this accident he gave up the idea of a jet and focused on traditional airplanes. He went on to become Bristol's Chief Engineer for a few years, his later work included a lenticular aerodyne which I would be keen to build too.
The "COANDA effect" is well known and applied, bears his name and it was what caused his jet plane to crash.

h6f93076.jpg

Aurel Vlaicu was a brilliant engineer who flew this airplane for the first time in June 1910. The pic shows a 1/1 scale reproduction of his airplane. The Romanian Army ordered few of them to be built and used for military purposes, making Romania one of the first countries to have an air force.

ha98b072.JPG

Traian Vuia, another Romanian inventor built this airplane and flew it for the first time in March 1906. It was the very first heavier than air flying object to take off from a horizontal strip of land using only whatever was available on board. No catapults, no sliding downhill, no pulling - pushing, nothing but a simple engine producing an "astonishing" 25hp.

ha2e5083.jpg

Last pic showing NY Herald's article on Vuia's flight.

Well, call it national pride, but I really want to get these babies built one day soon.

Any ideas / suggestions / comments would be most welcome.

:good:

That's a cool project.

In terms of suggestions, you'd probably be better off building that with balsa and material. I'd even suggest going to a RC flight forum and looking for plans. I've seen models made of wood and tissue that not only blow away plastic kits, but also fly.

If you go to another forum please share with us! We're open to any sort of scale modeling.

I've been fascinated with the story of Gustave Whitehead (Weisskopf). It's been claim that he flew in a heavier than air craft a full 3 years before the Wright Bros. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustave_Whitehead

Balsa is the material of choice, even bought some in preparation.

One of the many challenges are the spoked wheels ...I got some little cars with spoked wheels that may be willing to donate lol

Back