• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Plow capabilities

White_Wolf

Master at Arms
I found this photo of a Tiger Tank with a plow. As it is said, if it ran through thick snow, it would eventually accumulate under its' belly and cause some issues with driving forward as the tank would be stranded on top. Got that photo (couldn't find any other on the same subject) so, with a lot of zooming in and a lot of "it's gotta be like that" kind of assumptions, I eventually put together this little vignette, with snow around it and a log on the tank's right side. The original pic has two figures on top, due to lack of time I only got the chance to put an impatient commander on top (excuses, excuses ....)

Reference pic...

hed20d30.jpg

And final result ...

h1962724.jpg

h75e6bd5.jpg

h120a033.jpg

(y) Looks great! never seen that arrangement before, but it makes sence, not a good thing to have your tank stuck in the snow!

//Mats

Nice, yeah I can see how that plow is not that beneficial. Spent a week up north now i'm a snow expert :rotf

(y) Looks great! never seen that arrangement before, but it makes sence, not a good thing to have your tank stuck in the snow!

//Mats

Thank you :notworthy

A beast of some 50t of steel stuck on top a pile of snow isn't a good thing on a good day let alone when you have some angry people trying to kill ya. During those conditions even the engine oil would turn into some very thick marmalade making starting the engine a big challenge. That's why a tank would be left with the engine running throughout the night so that tank would help all others "go live" the next morning.

Very cool stuff. Yeah cold weather is a whole new set of rules. You know its cold when you see someone with a tiger torch trying to warm up the oil.
James

Very cool stuff. Yeah cold weather is a whole new set of rules. You know its cold when you see someone with a tiger torch trying to warm up the oil.
James

You know it's cold when hydraulic fluid freezes when it pissed 50 feet out of the lift trailer on the tarmac. It bounced when it landed... :blink

Beautiful work. :good:

I've never seen that pic, it's a real find. It's going to help with my tank battling this winter, that's for sure.

Thank you sir,

Unfortunately that is the only TIger with a plow pic I could find, it was helpful because there isn't much snow around it and you can see some details.

Thanks Ron & Luiz (y)

Over here it is used for cooking, you find it at the supermarket :D

I found out that you have to be patient with it, put it in place a small amount at the time to create the layered effects. I used a small cup, put the bi-carb first then the glue/water mix. It is a bit fizzy at first, but then it settles and I put it on the base while it was still very wet, to create the fluffy appearance as if immediately after a blizzard, rather than the perfectly laid snow, which is a lot more even.

Hope it helps.

Laurence

There is not a lot of info on it. I think it was an experiment although I imagine as it rode up over the snow the plow was pushing aside it wouldn't do much good. Nice scratch job. Now you'll have to get the Panzer IV from Dragon with plow to go with it :evil: :D

James

Thanks James :D

That's right, not much info at all. That photo is the only thing I could find and took it from there.

I think I won't be doing German tanks in a hurry - want to do some US stuff, I got some ideas :geek

Laurence

Back