• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Reference pic. build ......................

Cheyenne

Simple , covers everything and anything World War II or I .

Sorry for the lotsa pics thing ..........

Every genre of the site can be included ..........
Armor
Softskins
Figures
Zoomies
Ships
DIOS

Even simpler , take a reference pic. and build the pic. , getting it as close as possible to the photo .

Ok now the hard part , ....... there would be alot of scratch , conversion type work due to available kits vs. what pic. you want to build . Then again maybe not too much depending on the pic.

If I ask the boss [ Jenny ] reeeeal nicely , ....... maybe it could be an open ended no finish date group build .
Awards only upon completion and posting in the showcase/finished forum ...........

Only one rule ..............
Don't take a generic type pic. like this ...........

PanzerIII.jpg

Or this ..........

0059.jpg

Find a unique pic. , ........... build a static tank but do something like this ....... test yourself .

life_274.jpg

Or do single figs like this ........

gipup.jpg

Or this ..............

booty6ry.jpg

No you don't have to build every leaf , tree or building , just the main focus of the pic .

Or this , ...... no he's not dead he's a sleeping jarhead .........

PICT5056.jpg

Try and scratch this ..........

dog_mp_jeep_texas_1942_sm.jpg

More examples of " wow , that would make a cool build "

SR_47_1_.jpg

bikehorse.jpg

U1008802INP-1.jpg

Moon Pup , Chuck , ................ Gary , with your new plane infatuation ........

luftss17.jpg

me109_afrikakorps.jpg

me_262a_color_01.jpg

Laura ........

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-J160922C_Ital.jpg

demag0ggi1qr.jpg

Dio dudes ................
Johnny , I've got a cool DAK pow pic ........

life_43.jpg

life_35.jpg

norm-27.jpg

norm-248.jpg

norm-247.jpg

DurchdenendlosenSchlamminRussland.jpg

You ground floor up scratch builders ...............

wwi_pigeon_truck.jpg

2431097460_144b0f18fc_b.jpg

Some more random stuff ...................

756mud.jpg

buna_2.jpg

sdkfz-251-10-02.jpg

caravane.jpg

mercedes-lorry-in-floods.jpg

PICT5173.jpg

PICT4798.jpg

photo76-vi.jpg

interesting idea well worth taking into consideration glenn!

Cheyenne wrote:
Or this , ...... no he's not dead he's a sleeping jarhead .........

PICT5056.jpg

fine! a sleeping jarhead! and the dude behind the cute jarhead? what is he? :silly:

Cheyenne wrote:
Laura ........

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-J160922C_Ital.jpg

nuts! i'll never build something like that! you want to see me end up in the funny farm dude?

Cheyenne wrote:

that's looking interesting enough though to make me give it a try!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Laura , just suggestions , ........ the main idea is to get us to go a little or a lot outside the static ootb build and scratch , convert , or add on baggage , stowage etc.

Most pics will not be able to be covered by a kit and that's it type of thing .

Mostly looking for unique pics , ..... not like in the rare tank department , ..... but what real photos of WWII and WWI life was like from real photos .

Look how cool the wet vehicle with the umbrella looks !!!
You could even try to replicate rain drops on puddles around the build !!!
And all that very cool , just gotta have stowage piled on , .........

Fabulous idea! Great photos too. If someone find a photo, should they post it to get a consensus as well as a benchmark of what they'll try to achieve?

Regards,

Thanks Saul , ........

Let's say you had this pic. in your ref. stash or found it on the internet and this was the pic you wanted to recreate .

life_35.jpg

The main focus is the three Marines and the downed plane .
That would be expected in the build .
The plane etc. in the background wouldn't really need to be in the build , unless of course you wanted to include it .

Same here , the GI and his booty , main focus , the background vehicle and buildings not really necessary , ....... once again unless you wanted to include them .

booty6ry.jpg

This is a really cool idea, one that I would be in for sure...

heck I already think I have the picture I would use in mind. ;)

I like it, one problem I have with Group Builds is the end date. The few I've done I miss the date. What is being done on some other sites, and I ain't to proud not to borrow their ideas, is having a Special Interest section. Now Special Interest Groups or SIGs generally concentrate on a specific subject, I know there is a website dedicated to just P51SIG. I see no reason we couldn't have a Reference Photo SIG.

Heck, the first build I completed when I returned to modeling was based on a photo my dad took of his jeep in a creek in Korea. I've all done them to some extent.

Hey, I'm game!

Well Glenn said to start with that it would be any WW1 or 2 subject. I think we should honor that if it's a Group Build but if we make it a SIG, I think any picture would be fare game. But I don't manage the GBs so it's up to those folks to make the call.

Well where is one for me to do :( ......

For Bob Letterman , just get an aerial photo of a european city with lots of tanks and stuff :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hmmmmmm :unsure: I have an idea .......... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Jenny :kiss:

Oops , almost forgot , Bob [ M.P. ] ...........

I'd kinda like to keep it WWI & WWII , but the site is for all the members so it's off to the voting booths .........

Another reason for WWI & WWII was so this pic. could be made into a banner for finishing your build .
That is if this brainstorm is ok 'ed .
One more reason for WWI & WWII is we're kinda short on ref. pics. of the Crusades ...............

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-132-0632-272.jpg

Bob , my time frame idea was to only have a start date [ with ref pic. and newspaper date ] and no end date , awards only to be given upon completion of build and posted in the showcase/finished builds forum .

That sounds good for me. Would you allow people to join in at a later date? If so how far out from original start date?

In light of all these images that have been released by the German government and Life Mag and so many other sources, I think we should keep it in WW1-2 era. that's my .02c

moon puppy wrote:
Well Glenn said to start with that it would be any WW1 or 2 subject. I think we should honor that if it's a Group Build but if we make it a SIG, I think any picture would be fare game. But I don't manage the GBs so it's up to those folks to make the call.

OK, you're right - well then this could be a thread to get me motivated to start my 1/32 Lightning and use one of the pics below. But then this GB has to be last for a year or more :)

00ba6940783ea5a8_large.jpg

17bd7d434bf52c7a_large.jpg

595b7233153528fd_large.jpg

6e9a1d7307878e49_large.jpg

881411be19db060c_large.jpg

c3a95ec51ed01e37_large.jpg

Martin , now that's the kind of pics. I'm talkin about excellent shots !!!!!!!

M.P. ...... yeah you could start anytime after kickoff with date and ref. pic.

Brad , didn't see no spider around that web but I did see this ....................... about a mile and a half beyond the tank , on the right hand side , on that ridge ...............

20090415_p34_20090321_1616_63120sev.jpg

Well, I would be all in for yellow #2 AKA photo number 12, myself.

And the no closing date is really more my style :pinch: .

Gary B)

Jenny , Laura , Pup , thanks for floating this group thing through .

Bob Jr. ......... thanks also for the new " rank " name .

Just one question , ...... who's the walrus in the beach chair , ........ hope the Coast Guard doesn't see him , ........ he'll get towed back out to sea ......... :blush:

Ok , very easy group build , no pressure .

If it's ok with the head office April 1st will be the kickoff date ....... there is no end date .
When you complete your build you post your finished project in the Showcase/finished builds forum , ....... you get your participation banner .

As in our other group builds a newspaper date etc. is your ticket to start building .
A reference photograph from World War I or World War II should also be posted to show us what you're going to do .
As explained in previous posts [ see above chatter ] only the main focus will be required .

Example :

3878398817_ee7e4449e5.jpg

The vehicle, figs. and a street base would be expected as it's the main focus of the pic. , ....... the background building not really required but if you want to build it , ....... go for it .

Please do not use a picture like this .........

2457504718_dbe32757d5.jpg

Figures : As in an earlier post , the GI and his booty would be expected not the whole town behind him .......

booty6ry.jpg

Try and not use generic " pose " figures that do not tell a story , ..........
like these ...........

27specially20for20you21.jpg

Planes , ...... planes are cool but try and have a pic. with a bit of an interesting focus ..........

me109_afrikakorps.jpg

That's really about all you have to know ............

The object is to copy the ref. pic. as closely as possible .

Just a couple of points, Please let's have WIP here and completed build posted on the same thread you start the build with. If you'd like to post your completed work on Showcase/finished forum that will be fine also but if you do, make sure you also have it in this forum. This will allow proper credit for completion and we don't have to go hunting in the Showcase for your build.

There is a 18 month time limit, plenty of time to complete.

Back