• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/350 USS Georgia SSGN-729 Ohio Class Submarine.

Rhino

Super Moderator
High time I started on Sea n' Sky's next presentation Model Kit.
IMG_6386_281024x65829.jpg

USS Georgia SSGN-729 in 1/350 scale. She's bigger than I'm accustomed to. Hmm. Parts & stuff! :idonno
Jacob_Lee_Hall_Jr_.jpg

USS Georgia will be an Honor Model for presentation to this little Man's Papa. :salute :captain
IMG_6387.JPG

Wisdom. Justice. Moderation. (for all y'all wuht don't speak no Latino!) :smack

IMG_6389.JPG

I've got all the stuff. The fit on this Kit is disappointing.(POOP!) $40.00 Dragon "Smart Kit" could use some tutoring. :stinker Hull halves warped, hull panel lines put you in mind of an ancient Matchbox Kit. The Sail halves differ in height.
IMG_6392.JPG

To fit the forward diving planes, I advise oval-ing the holes to make the alignment, rather than grinding the dog-snot out of the diving plane pivots.
IMG_6390.JPG

IMG_6391.JPG

Those of you that know me, know well I just can't leave things be. Floor for the Bridge, so's ah kin add some 1/350 Navy Folk.
How_Submarines_work~0.jpg

I wouldn't start a model like this one, without learning something about how Nuclear Submarine systems operate.
IMG_6393.JPG

MUCH dry-fitting is also advisable!! I may do something else with the Dry-deck Shelter. I just don't like the look of it. :idonno

Thanks, men, for looking in!! :salute :drunk

IMG_6394.JPG

The tedious outer missile tube hatches are easiest attached to tape in the center, and thick C/A glued along the outboard edge. You can apply thick C/A to the bottom of the rest of the hatch later. It doesn't bleed through, and overfill the hatch seam. (or glue your fingers to the Boat!) :facepalm
IMG_6395.JPG

Georgia's after 2 missile hatches will be open, to allow for BGM-109 Tomahawk launch. The masked area will be white.

Interesting build Rhino. Trying to visualize the parts and area you are working on and not quite getting it. (not all that familiar with subs)

IMG_6396.JPG

The monster seam obviously runs the length of the Boat's hull. Fill-Sand-scribe-cuss :bang head, Fill-Sand-scribe-cuss :bang head, Fill-Sand-scribe-cuss :bang head I will NOT be building a second 1/350 Dragon sub kit. :stinker
When the Ohio-Class Boomer was built, she carried 20 missile tubes made into Her pressure hull (the subdivided, welded, steel tube inside the Hull of the Submarine). Ballast and trim tanks are arranged between the outer hull and the PSI hull. The outer hull is streamlined to reduce friction underway. The kit includes Posidon and Trident ICBM's, and 4 Mk. 48 torpedoes in 1/350 scale. USS Georgia, as one of 4 SSGN (cruise missile Boat) carries 16 operational missile tubes, with 7 Tomahawk BGM-109 missiles per tube. The internal space gained is used for SEAL ops, and other recon/intel gathering functions. I don't think any of that is classified. :hmmm
IMG_4982.JPG

SSBN-643 USS George Bancroft, is smaller than an Ohio-Class Boat by a bunch, but you get an idea of how big these deadly, swift, silent Ladies truly are. Does that help?
I can't say where USS Georgia is deployed at this time. :bat

Like why does the kit come with torpedoes? How do they want you to display it?

I saw a sub come into Charleston Harbor once, we were at the Ft. Moultrie site, don't know which sub it was but it swamped the jetty we were standing at, thought the guy out on the end was going to be swept away. There was a lot of mass under the water to cause that much wake.

:popcorn

Sending sanding :zen

The Kit comes with torpedoes as the outer tube doors can be modeled open with the Fish leaving them. USS Georgia's mission is one of stealth and secrecy. I thought it much more likely She'd launch Tomahawks, than torps, so I modeled the outer doors closed. No red boat is going to notice Her passage, until it's too late. :zen
IMG_6411.JPG

IMG_6412.JPG

Rudders installed. I think I've got the huge hull seam licked! FINALLY! I had hoped to paint some today, but I broke some ungainly antenna housings off the stern of Georgia. :bang head :smack :bang head
IMG_6416.JPG

I try to build a "Straight Model". I REALLY do!! I just cain't. I'm naughty.
I told a story about how this impressive young Officer was so uncharacteristically excited when news of his Son's birth reached him, that he swam out of the Boat to get home to see his new, sweet, Boy. I didn't have a 1/350 scale screen-door, but I had an extra hatch about. Other Guys leave the Boat while She's submerged. They come back too!
IMG_6417.JPG

Major assemblies in almost one piece. The new mine-finding SONAR allows USS Georgia to safely navigate the treacherous hedge apple/oak leaf minefields of Iowa.
IMG_6418.JPG

Brass antenna housing replacements, with antennas extended. I'm posing 2 of the missile tubes open, so Georgia needs these instruments extended.
IMG_6419.JPG

The missile hatches fit nearly as well as the rest of the :bat :bang head :facepalm :vmad :stinker Kit does. I will hinge just 2. She's coming together.
Thanks for looking in!

It matters little. :rotf :drinks It all Submariner stuff. :salute If I can't stick my arm out the window, I can't drive it. I was invited to "drive" USS Georgia, but I'd be gone/submerged 93+ days. I rather had 3 or 4 hours in mind. My hat is off to those Men. :salute :eek:ldguy :pilot I cain't begin to understand the required mind-set.

I was considering that career path. I wanted to go into Nuclear engineering and the USN was a pretty good place for it. Sub duty would mean being based in CT, HI or San Diego, not bad. I took a bunch of tests and qualified, but also qualified for Aviation and kept having a bunch of recruiters tell me that was the way to go (this was before Top Gun) with "son, don't ya wanna be flying 18s off a carrier?", etc.

When I started looking into it, it turned out it would be a couple of years of classroom and I'd have to be in the top 5% to remain before I even saw a cockpit and they only filled the small amount of openings by congressional approval so the whole process left a bad taste in my mouth and I went a different way.

Yiiikes Chris . Not exactly a good fit on pieces considering the size of the boat.

It would take a better man than me to be a crew member. I like windows and female companionship.

Cheers,Chistian B)

Back