• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/350 Trumpeter HMS Abercrombie

ErnieS

This will most likely be a slow build as I am building this with a very dear friend of mine. He is building the sister ship HMS Roberts. We try to get together a few times a month dependent upon my schedule, and will be working on these together when we do. So far, we have gotten the Master Barrels replacement set for the main 15" and 4" guns. I will probably add some aftermarket 20mm guns as well as some 40mm pom pom barrels, though Bill will probably not. I think Bill has the hull of the Roberts together, so I will do that so I am caught up to him. Just got the kit, so still need to order paint, and the other barrels.

I knew this sounded familiar and it just clicked in. This is the Roberts Class Monitor. I'm getting the HMS Roberts from Saul. So very much watching to see what you do. Found some PE for it but it was almost $170.00 US and thats too much. So any tips you can give I'm all ears.
James

Hi James, yeah I have seen that photo etch as well, very impressive but at more than 3 times the cost of the kit is a bit much. I think trumpeter has done a good job with the three frets of etch they include in the kit. A big improvement is replacing the gun barrels. I will probably get a set of 20mm that include new turned pedestals. Another issue for me is that the Abercrombie was built after the Roberts and has some differences (larger crew quarters, artillery storage, increased deck armor over engine room) which affected the aft deck house, so how much of that set would be applicable to the Abercrombie??? Bill and I compared the kits last week and there are I think 4 sprues that are different between the two kits.
Basically, I am going to use the etch from the kit, replace the guns, and probably leave it at that.

Back