• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

USS Arizona build

Tim A.

I've decided to dig out a 1/350 scale kit of the Arizona that I'd started several years ago and boxed back up. I'll also be using the Gold Medal Models PE set which is very nice btw.
I've also decided to display it as a waterline model which means removing the lower hull half I'd spent so much time on before fitting to the upper half. This kit is by Mini Hobby Models.
The reason I quit the first time around was the mess I created trying to get the portholes of the wall that supports the upper deck from the main deck, they are molded way oversize. So armed with a new sense of "I can't screw it up anymore than it is" I was able to separate the glued halves and will just make new walls. So now it's all ON for this kit again.
A minor detail flaw of the kit which is a pretty simple fix is the molded torpedo blisters on the hull of the model angle forward at the bow and stern. Arizona's where vertical. I fixed it by just reshaping them to be straight up and down no problem.
Arizona went through a few refits in it life. The PE set offers parts for the different time periods also but I will build her as she looked in 1941.

The start....

h29fc088.jpg

hb1b304c.jpg

ha6ceb65.jpg

h9bf61f8.jpg

Holy Cow! I gotta say I have looked at that 1:200 scale one more than once, then the price tag stopped me.

Whenever I watch the movie "They Were Expendable" I get the urge to try an Arizona, or a PT Boat.

Hey Tim, I'm going to move this to our Shipbuilders group so when you finish you'll earn a campaign ribbon.

:popcorn

Hey HOOD!

I will be watching with interest on this. Have the Banner release of this kit with the brass barrels and Eduard PE set. Have thought long and hard about whether to sell it and get the 1:200 kit with goodies, or to try and do a nice build with it.

:popcorn

Back