• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

M4 (early) * * F I N I S H E D * *

ij001

Yes resistance is futile - but then who would knowingly resist 7 of 9/Jeri Ryan :gogo . Ok, I know, I know I don't have much in the way of time to build this, especially as my model building speed is at best sluggish and more usually moves along at a glacier-like-pace. But if I push everything else to one side except the F-86 which is very close to finishing, then I should be able to get it done over the holidays.

So to business:

The vehicle will be pretty-much from the box, but I have more than a few accessory sets, stowage etc to pad-it-out. I'll also be using a couple of Verlinden and/or Nemrod figures. Sometime in the future I'll be adding it into a little diorama/vignette setting.

A quick question for WWII AFV builders in general and 'Shermaholics' in particular... When were the dayglo aircraft ID panels issued ???, after the Normandy breakout or later on as the allies pushed toward Germany ???

Stay tuned :soldier

Ian

M4 (early) - Tamiya 35190

No idea about the Dayglow panels but :popcorn

Remember to get your proper startup photo :good:

The panels came around after the Normandy invasion. An early production Sherman would be really rare in the ETO. They would be more likely in North Africa and Italy. Possible but.....

Terry B)

Thanks Terry, that's good help.

From Osprey 'New Vanguard #3 - Sherman Medium Tank 1942-45' (author Steven J. Zaloga), Page 6 - Photo caption:

"'Hurricane', an M4 of H Co. 66th Armd Regt. 2nd Armd Div. Like most tanks of the 2nd Armd Div. this M4 was camouflaged shortly after landing in Normandy with a pattern of Earth Brown over the usual Olive Drab*. The repair work was being done near Le Teilleul, France on 17 August 1944"

* In the light of more recent research published by others, the author has since revised his 1993 assertion, and now states that the camouflage was more likely to have been black over Olive Drab.

There's three sets of markings in the kit, one is for an Italian front vehicle thew other two for 'Normandy' tanks including the aforementioned 'Hurricane' which I plan on doing. Reading through my references over the last couple of days, early but remanufactured M4's could be found alongside M4A3's and up-gunned 76mm M4's well in to 1945...

So pics with date-stamp a little later today along with updates on other projects.

Stay tuned, folks.

Ian

Off this morning so made a start, but first the date-stamp photo's as required by law :coolio

"And so it begins...."

The photo in the Vanguard book (and elsewhere), clearly show this M4 had the later cast gearbox cover, (which is left in the kit from the earlier M4A3 release). Here you can see that I've textured the plastic using liquid poly and an old cut-down 'stippling' brush.... First time I've ever done this and REALLY happy with how it came out !!

The idler wheels are from the 'old' M4A3 and need a little 'smoothing':

Another first - First time I've ever built a Sherman with a 'Cullin' cutter. This is from the Verlinden detail & stowage set:

Built-up the six bogies too using the kit supplied open 5-spoke wheels (as per the photograph) and the later plain drive sprocket, again this is evident in the photo. And to finish this set, a couple of general views of the lower hull wearing a coat of Tamiya primer.

Not bad for two-hours at the bench this morning, eh ?? - Stay tuned, more soon.

Ian

Thanks all - really enjoyed yesterdays session. It's coming up to 0930 Friday just now, and I've got office duty.... the phone hasn't rang yet, and I just had my afternoon appointment postpone, so guess where I'll be in about three hours !!

:yipee

Ian

Hull done:

Turret textured in the same way as the gearbox cover, I've sprayed it all white inside:

Flash has washed-out the image but you get the idea. Here it is altogether:

And finally, as it sits now in a coat of Tamiya grey primer:

Yep, I'd call that a productive afternoon session and it's only coming-up-to 1630 !!

Ian

Last of the sub assemblies done - Mantlet and gun !!

And the last chance to see it all clean before the pre-shading begins !!

As you can probably tell, these are phone photos - not bad but a wee bit dark. Stay tuned more over the next couple of days. Thanks for all the interest and comments so far, always appreciated.

Ian

M4 (early) - Lots of progress

Paint going on:

First a very thinned coat of Tamiya OD lightened a little with their Chromate Yellow equivalent over the pre-shading all done with Tamiya flat black - I love this stuff :v .

Then I added a little Dark Green and gave it a second coat.

Next I lightened that mix again with Chromate Yellow and roughly highlighted the upper hull and turret.

Looking a little closer.

Next I sprayed some black camouflage.

And finally lightened the black a little and repeated the highlighting again.

Again a little closer

Not bad for two sessions over two days. Going to let this all cure for a day or so, then a coat or two of Kleer/Future and decals. Thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment. More soon.

Ian

Back