• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Airfix Buccaneer

nsmekanik

I've decided to take a leap into the deep end and build a 1/48 jet, simply because, long story short, I've ended up with a few, a couple of Hawker Hunters and this one. Not sayin how far I'll get with this one in what time period, however, having read up a bit it seems to have a few not insurmountable issues which will make it at least interesting :fencing .

Any ways after a bit of reading I decided to start with glueing the bomb bay doors into the lower fuselage and the first thing I see is raised panel lines, not a big deal unto itself but curiosity got me lookin and they don't seem right to me. After a long google search trying to get a close look at those doors, no joy to be found, so does anyone have a pic of these things so I know what they should look like? :D

:drinks

Despite being British and a confirmed Cold War Jet fan, I'm sorry but I haven't got anything to help you on your build. BUT having attempted to build this kit m'self, I can advise that it does suffer with quite serious warp/alignment issues on the main upper & lower fuselage halves... you will need to put some hard-work into it !!

If you can wrestle it into submission, you'll get a really nice model at the end... and you'll have achieved something that I have failed to do...

...twice. :bang head

Ian

hth

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/buccaneer/walkaround.php

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/71771-blackburn-buccaneer/

James

@ Ian
This will be the first cold war jet I've built since.....I dunno about the mid to late 60's and that was I believe a silver plastic Revell? Voodoo with the raised panel line decal placement guide
899.gif
, and I've never done a British jet let alone a 1/48 Airfix British Jet
sSc_hiding2.gif
....ssssoooooooo if all goes well ignoring that I've read up a bit on various methods used to overcome siad issues I think we could say a successful completion would be more likely to be associated with beginners luck then any skill on my part, but given my track record of completions I'm not so sure that's gonna be an issue any time soon
sFun_whistle.gif

@ James
Those are awesome Dude :D thank you some much for posting those links
palm.gif

@ Bob

OK sign me and lets get started :woohoo: , oh and by the way.........WHERE do I find the campaign this ribbon is attached to, Ive been all over the forums looking
frantic.gif
so obviously I missed something........
Any way the thing is on the bench and I want to get going on it so here are the obligatory pics
IMG_02015B15D.JPG

IMG_01985B15D.JPG

IMG_01975B15D.JPG

:D
:pilot

Works for me, hang on while we move to Second Chance Déjà vu.

Wooo...that was fun, everyone make it? You're on Tim. :drinks :popcorn

bin puttin away at this thing but to lazi to take pics :pp . All I gotta say is that if I was a quarter scaler Buccaneer fan I'd be truly P@@@@d at Mr.Airfix, the thing looks like it was cut and squeezed by thems that press cereal box toys and such :pinch: .

I disagree Ian, wrestling this thing into submission is not going to get me a very nice model, I think you'd have to murder it and resurrect it as a skeletal reflection of itself reconstructed with a lot of foreign material stuffed into places where a lot of scrap plastic presently resides :java . Personally I'll be satisfied if I manage a cheap imitation of a cheap imitation of the real thing :beer . I'm just going to work at getting a reasonable a model out of this thing as I can without putting a lot of effort into it beyond getting a decent fit and a nice paint job. :drinks

Well that box was pre Hornby if I remember and the sprue is surely pre Hornby think its theyr tipical 80's kit.

Still is the only Buccaneer in 48 though

I got some decaling done in the cockpit. Surprisingly they didn't behave as badly as I thought they might, still not great, care needed to be taken especially with the bigger ones as they did tend to slightly fragment where they were being handled, they reacted well to pollyscale decal softener. It's funny but they fit the instrument panel quit well, front cockpit so so, and the rear cockpit rather poorly.

IMG_0218~0.JPG

IMG_0219.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

IMG_0221.JPG

IMG_0222.JPG

IMG_0223.JPG

This would be a nice cockpit in 1/72, but in 1/48 not so much :drinks

I think you are going very well on it Tim, - old Airfix kit - much like my Operation Chastise Lanc in Wings over the Reich, must have been their worst ever molding.

break out the next sized hammer! :pilot

Thanks Phil, and if it ain't it's damn close eh :D .

No this ain't dead yet, just a deep sleep :java finaly got the
quote.gif
cockpit
quote.gif
instaled
IMG_0253_zpsbfb18a1f.jpg

IMG_0254_zps2305d7b8.jpg

Certainly some questionable engineering in how it.........uuhhmmmm..........
quote.gif
mounts
quote.gif
to the upper fuselage. Definitely a case of the instructions being let down by the kit.

Back