• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dad's motorgrader Update 1/18/12

bob letterman

Master at Arms
Staff member
WW II Road Graders.

I've searched the web without much results. Anybody out there have any good photos of WW II military road graders? Preferably, US Army in the ETO, but any would be helpful.

I will need to scratch it in 1/35th scale, so as many photos as possible would be appreciated.

Or, anybody know of a book on the same subjects?

Thanks,

Bob

WW II Road Graders.

A US one like this?
1.1242255900.how-about-an-old-wwii-road-grader.jpg

Regards,

WW II Road Graders.

Are you looking for self powered graders or ones towed behind a tractor?

:laugh:

Oh - Sharkmouth - just posted picture of a towed one :laugh:

WW II Road Graders.

The US military towed Adams graders:
post-75-1313050551.jpg

post-75-1313017662.jpg

Later on, they used self propelled models such as this one:
1924d1271865841-show-your-toys-bikes-cars-atvs-1914-49-adams-412h-001-mile-half-gravel-drive-no-one-wants-take-care-so-i-do.jpg

So, when you let me know which direction you are going, I can post more.

Regards,

WW II Road Graders.

I think graders in that era were towed, I think it was the 50s when they got motorized. I don't have pictures that far back, got tons of Korea era bulldozers. :mpup

WW II Road Graders.

A few more towed items but these are from Alaska when the military road was laid during WWII:
Attu040601-024.jpg

210786048_70405a21fc_z.jpg

Bob, This grader is from 1930:
philip%20walsh%20on%20motor%20grader_thumb.jpg

Regards,

WW II Road Graders.

i'll look though my Dad's stuff, he might have some but I really doubt they would date back to the 40s. He was in the construction business in the 50s and 60s.

WW II Road Graders.

Thanks all you guys.

They made self powered ones back in the 30s and I know several companies including Caterpillar made them for the American military during WW II. I have seen pics of them somewhere, but I do know that they didn't have the compartment cab. They were open and looked very similar to ones from the 50s. Most of the ones I have seen in the past were from the Pacific building runways on the islands. All I need is photos of various angles. I would prefer the ETO, but, hell, beggars can't be choosers.

I'll take anything I can get!

Bob

WW II Road Graders.

http://sheckler.bouwman.com/Allegan/County/Snowplow.html

CATERPILLAR_112_GRADER_2.JPG

CAT112_GRADER_3U2312.JPG

CAT_112_GRADER_MODEL_3U.JPG

http://www.tractorparts.com/cat2.htm
http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/other_machinery/grader1.html
http://www.oocities.org/mikesloane/misc_eq.htm

http://www.google.ca/search?pq=%221940%27s+construction+tractors%22&hl=en&cp=24&gs_id=2c&xhr=t&q=%22Caterpillar+112+grader%22&safe=off&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1112&bih=803&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

hope its some use.
James

WW II Road Graders.

here is a link with a couple in action
http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675057528_IX-Corps_soldiers-operates-bulldozer_road-grader-in-operation_crane-passes

I took a small walk around of a older grader just outside the KLETC grounds a couple of months ago. I will put it up soon.

WW II Road Graders.

That looks like the one my Dad had and sold to someone who shipped it off to Nigeria.

WW II Road Graders.

FH000017.jpg

This would have been late 50s, early 60s building I26 somewhere in Newberry Co SC. Chip, recognize it?

FH000072.jpg

FH000073.jpg

These two were in Alma Ga in 1952 when my Mom and Dad were on the way to Jacksonville FL for their honeymoon..yes, Dad stopped on the side of the road and took a picture of a stuck bulldozer on the way to their honeymoon...he really liked bulldozers. :D

These are pictures of the grader he had since he was in the paving/grading business. He sold this just a few years ago to an outfit out of Atlanta who transported heavy equipment to Nigeria for jobs there.
P3190014.JPG

P3190015.JPG

P3190016.JPG

P3190017.JPG

P3190018.JPG

P3190019.JPG

P3190020.JPG

P3190021.JPG

PA290048.JPG

PA290049.JPG

PA290050.JPG

PA290051.JPG

PA290052.JPG

PA290053.JPG

PA290054.JPG

PA290055.JPG

PA290056.JPG

PA290057.JPG

4-6-2006-49.jpg

And this is a bonus shot, 1967 he got a contract to do the tarmac at Charleston AFB, got some good pictures there, and got some bad ones, one bad one is of a Connie passing by as they were working. hate that one didn't turn out so good.

Hope these help Dad! :mpup

WW II Road Graders.

Cool pictures MP.

Stuck the little walk around here
https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/the-real-thing/90434-caterpillar-road-grader#90434

WW II Road Graders.

They made self powered ones back in the 30s and I know several companies including Caterpillar made them for the American military during WW II.

Yup!

The original Self propelled Cat Grader was made in 1928.

"In 1928, Caterpillar purchased the Russell company. The product offerings after Caterpillar's acquisition remained self-propelled graders, tractor-pulled graders, and elevating graders. The so-called "self-propelled" graders at that time were simply attachments to the front of "crawler" tractors. The new self-propelled graders were the Ten Motor Patrol (affixed to a Caterpillar Ten), the Fifteen Motor Patrol (affixed to a Caterpillar Fifteen), the Twenty Motor Patrol (affixed to a Caterpillar Twenty), and the Twenty-Eight Motor Patrol (affixed to a Caterpillar Twenty-Eight).

In April 1931, Caterpillar introduced its all-new "Auto Patrol" rubber-wheeled grader. Late that same year, the Auto Patrol was renamed as the No. 9 Auto Patrol. This machine formed the basis for all motor graders produced by the earth-moving industry."

:D

This is a 1940's Cat the plywood cab is makeshift and obviously not original but the grader might be similar to something seen in WWII

IMG_1004.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg

IMG_1007.jpg

Hope they help.

WW II Road Graders.

Saul, Jeff, MP, James,

Thank you all so very much! Is this a great web site or what! From all of these, I just might be able to get it built! If any of you should find any more, please post them.

I can't promise it will be I.P.M.S. accurate, but it will definitely look like the real thing. Judging from what is available out there, I doubt if I will get an email about 6 bolts instead of seven on the plate that articulates the blade! :yipee

Thanks again, Bob jr., please let me know when you get this thing started, be it a GB or a Sprue U Thang!

Bob

WW II Road Graders.

They made self powered ones back in the 30s and I know several companies including Caterpillar made them for the American military during WW II.

Yup!

The original Self propelled Cat Grader was made in 1928.

"In 1928, Caterpillar purchased the Russell company. The product offerings after Caterpillar's acquisition remained self-propelled graders, tractor-pulled graders, and elevating graders. The so-called "self-propelled" graders at that time were simply attachments to the front of "crawler" tractors. The new self-propelled graders were the Ten Motor Patrol (affixed to a Caterpillar Ten), the Fifteen Motor Patrol (affixed to a Caterpillar Fifteen), the Twenty Motor Patrol (affixed to a Caterpillar Twenty), and the Twenty-Eight Motor Patrol (affixed to a Caterpillar Twenty-Eight).

In April 1931, Caterpillar introduced its all-new "Auto Patrol" rubber-wheeled grader. Late that same year, the Auto Patrol was renamed as the No. 9 Auto Patrol. This machine formed the basis for all motor graders produced by the earth-moving industry."

:D

This is a 1940's Cat the plywood cab is makeshift and obviously not original but the grader might be similar to something seen in WWII

Hope they help.

Ken, are you crazy? Of course they will help!

Fantastic! Thanks so much!

Bob

p.s. I guess with everybody helping me with this, I actually have to scratch this damned thing now! I will!

WW II Road Graders.

Thanks for setting me right on when they motorized them Ken, I didn't realize it was that early.

WW II Road Graders.

Thanks for setting me right on when they motorized them Ken, I didn't realize it was that early.

Well, the FIRST motorized one was the Russell self propelled grader from 1919:

Grader1919.jpg

im734z.jpg

Cropped Detail :
im734zdet2.jpg

In 1922, Galion released one as well:

Galion_Patrol.jpg

A nice post on old farm equipment photography:

Let me stop before someone accuses me of TMI!

Regards,

Last edited:
Back