• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revell PT-109

razordws

I've tried to build this in a campaign before but it never happened so I'll try again.

Ancient kit, according to scalemates it dates back to 1963. I picked up some navy figures awhile back but will likely only use the raft.

hdf861a1.jpg

h5966a14.jpg

:popcorn

I grabbed one of these a few years ago because I had leftover RC gear and figured it would make a nice quick project. When I cracked the box I saw how rough the kit was compared to today's standards.

Needs some TLC, but I'm sure you can wrangle it into shape.

:popcorn

I grabbed one of these a few years ago because I had leftover RC gear and figured it would make a nice quick project. When I cracked the box I saw how rough the kit was compared to today's standards.

Needs some TLC, but I'm sure you can wrangle it into shape.

Its a bit rough alright. Not going to try to make a jewel out of it, just hoping for something respectable.

Wonder how many of these kits they've sold in 54 years! :idonno

Wonder how many of these kits they've sold in 54 years! :idonno

I'd have to dig out the Aurora book to get the exact number, but with their Frankenstein kit, they had two molds that didn't come out of the injection machines for years. They ran them 24 hours a day, had to use firehoses to cool the roof on their Long Island factory because of the heat. Off the top of my head, I think the number was over a million kits and the molds are still used every few years. Revell, Monogram and now Polar Lights.

The 109 might not have had that broad of a reach, but it might have too. If it's still kicking around, there's a audience.

Mine got chunked last year when we cleaned out Mom's house, that ol' orange tube glue still had most of the big parts securely in place. It survived many living room sea battles without a drop of paint on it. Looking forward to seeing one built again. (y)

Mine got chunked last year when we cleaned out Mom's house, that ol' orange tube glue still had most of the big parts securely in place. It survived many living room sea battles without a drop of paint on it. Looking forward to seeing one built again. (y)

PT109 with several builds of the USS North Carolina, couple of Yorktowns, some DDs and of course the Skipjack. Scale Smale. Who cared back then. Scale was factored in on the damage it could do. And we never included the props, they were a drag on the shag carpet. :rotf

Alright, I just cracked the Aurora book and I was wildly off:

The molds cycled every 25 seconds, by '64 (Frankenstein came out in '61) they sold seven and a half million kits.

7,500,000 in the first 3 years and they are still doing them 53 years later. So why can't I find more? :D

Back