• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Battle in the Low Countries 1940

randy_ditton

Master at Arms
Hello All, Finally getting around to posting this here..This is a "Braille scale" project that is set in a railyard. The main focus is a small factory. This is a old building with timber framing and stone walls that management has not spent much money on upgrading. The equipment is old time belt driven and steam powered. It features a large gantry crane that is timber and a narrow gauge tram for moving product to the mainline.
The concept is a building with some battle damage but mostly intact. German troops and armor are advancing thru the area.....

Crude drawings....

036-1.jpg

047.jpg

053.jpg

I'm using hydrocal plaster for the walls. A stone wall section from "C.C. Crow Products" was copied and several were joined to form the large walls. Window and door openings were cut out and molds were made from these "masters".

001-18.jpg

008-16.jpg

003-17.jpg

005-11.jpg

006-17.jpg

009-15.jpg

The interior is made up of scratch and commercial goodies. Most of this stuff is sold as " HO scale " or 1/87th for us train guys. In reality alot of it oversized and works well in "Braille scale" if you are careful. The smaller equipment is placed in the back of the building and larger scale items placed where figs or vehicles will be close by. Doors and windows are Grantline products...

010-10.jpg

012-9.jpg

038-2.jpg

030-1.jpg

050-1.jpg

041-1.jpg

039.jpg

035-3.jpg

042-1.jpg

014-8.jpg

015-10.jpg

017-5.jpg

040-1.jpg

021-2.jpg

010-11.jpg

014-9.jpg

043-1.jpg

040-2.jpg

044-1.jpg

032-3.jpg

050-2.jpg

049-1.jpg

051.jpg

052-1.jpg

001-19.jpg

003-22.jpg

004-16.jpg

006-21.jpg

007-11.jpg

Taking a break from the structure, I wanted to use the Dragon Pz IV for this but as sold it builds into a "F", needed to back date it to a "D".....

004-15.jpg

009-16.jpg

010-12.jpg

014-10.jpg

006-18.jpg

002-18.jpg

010-13.jpg

003-19.jpg

010-14.jpg

002-19.jpg

026-2.jpg

Adding etch fenders from Part and using some Eduard etch. The fenders were designed for a Revell kit and they are just short. Added some plastic and then soldered some sides to the rear fender flaps so I could add springs. The tools are a mix of scratch, etch and from the stash. Soldered a piece to the antenna deflector to give it the proper profile. Used Aber machine gun barrels...

001-20.jpg

003-20.jpg

009-17.jpg

005-13.jpg

Built up an unarmored smoke candle rack from plastic and brass..

006-20.jpg

021-3.jpg

003-21.jpg

010-15.jpg

005-17.jpg

003-24.jpg

016-10.jpg

001-21.jpg

009-18.jpg

011-15.jpg

019-8.jpg

004-19.jpg

005-16.jpg

006-22.jpg

003-25.jpg

Working on changing the tracks, idler wheels, hubcaps and the cupola...

Back to the building as I start to add some damage....

003-23.jpg

005-15.jpg

004-17.jpg

The doors and windows are not glued in yet as I try to decide how much damage to show.

That is up todate for now, comments are always welcomed!

Randy

Madness !!!!! Now this is the coolest ! I am absolutely in love with it already , I just about fell off my chair (hey with my height it is a long way down to the floor too :eek:hmy: ) when I see that Panzer IV , how kewl is that ? In braille scale that is way awesome .

Keep us updated on progress .

Jenny :kiss:

WOW! that's outstanding randy! phantastic!

but since you have put so much effort into the panzer 4 you should add the two small vertical splash guards in front of the driver and RO's side visors right under the lifting hooks!

i try to find pics of that spot to show you! :)

EDIT: found a good pic! i drew a white circle around the splash guard!

pz4d-2-circle_20100305_1846883595.jpg

Cowabunga uncle Randy , that's some of the finest work I've seen in awhile , .......... Then I remember it's in Billy Barty scale and have to change my britches !!!!!!

All pant loads aside it's a pleasure to peruse your work .

Keep going and , ........ yes more pics. of the factory !!!!

Hi Jenny, Now don't go hurting yourself girl :) Thank you for the kind words.

Laura, Thanks for catching that! your pic reminds me to also add that cone shaped signal port cover thingy to the turret roof, ahhh There is always something :) :)

Mike, More to come but progress has slowed as I try to model damage, never done it before and it is difficult to get right!

Hello Dario, Glad you like it!!

Thanks Cooler King, This scale is alot of fun for me.

Randy

Goodness! How long does it take your eyes to get reacquainted with 'reality' when working on such tiny things?
:blink

Really great stuff. I love the building in particular. As for the damage, try to find photos of walls with the damage you want to replicate. I wouldn't leave window frames in openings where large damage knocked large sections down. The rubble, unless it is cleared up, will be a challenge.

Regards,

I am in complete shock!!! :eek:hmy: :eek:hmy: Your work has gone way past cool. WOW!!!!

Terry :notworthy

Holy vision impairment Batman!
Hey Randy there is some beaut work going on here... Your scratch building is the bees knees, and the tankwork is an eye opener for me as I was not familiar with what is available to upgrade these kits in this scale...
Great stuff indeed.
Brad

Thanks Ant, Had to find a way to get some rr track in here :)

Hi Tony, Glad you like it!

hello Saul, Thank you for the comments :)

Thanks Terry!

Hi Brad , Thanks for looking in and commenting

Randy

Hi Folks,

Erik, Thank you for your interest!

Hello Yago, Glad you like it, as a long time train model builder I really enjoy checking out your site :)

Just a small update.....

finally got the proper cupala for my Pz IV D conversion and made some changes, thanks Laura. The running gear is correct and mounted along with some narrow early tracks.

Time to start the paint...please ignore anything below the fenders as this area is not complete and I just stuck the tracks on for the pics....

004-20.jpg

007-12.jpg

Going with a proper (I hope :) :) ) May 1940 camo....

018-9.jpg

022-2.jpg

034-3.jpg

017-7.jpg

037-2.jpg

029-1.jpg

038-3.jpg

I am thinking of adding a bundle of the small sticks and an air recognition panel for some color....

Progress on the main structure is slow!....

Working on the boiler room addition, Making up some of the elements such as water pump and a vertical boiler and a start on the piping...

016-11.jpg

044-2.jpg

047-1.jpg

After I got this far I saw an ad for a dio base from (Masterpiece Models?) That depicted a horiznal boiler and smoke box front that looked much more european and fitting for what I was trying to do so its back to the scrap box for a new boiler!

As always, all comments are welcomed....Randy

Randy, WOW WOW WOW. Great work. I like to see all pics, one by one, many times and during large time.

Thanks for posting this work.

Yago.

Back