• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Photobucket policy change leads to outrageous fees

Steve Ski

Gents,

This may have been posted already, don't see it, but Photobucket has recently updated their policy regarding 3rd party sharing of your pics. They now want a $400/yr fee for you and me to use their services. Now, I don't mind paying for the service, I currently pay $59/yr for Fotki, but $400/yr is a bit over the top, IMHO.

I have just deleted my PB account and will use Fotki whenever and where ever possible. But what really ticks me off it's the cost they are requesting for 3rd party usage.

I had a ton of pics that were run thru PB that are now blank, before I deleted the account mind you, and would have to pay what basically amounts to black mail or a hostage fee to keep my threads active. I now have to start new threads and post a short series of pics to get everyone back up to speed. That is pathetic and only shows that someone in upper management is looking to make a big chunk of change.

I vote with my dollars and have done so. Please check this out for yourself if you use PB, may save you a headache in the future.

Onward and forward, and Ruck Over Baby!

Cheers, Ski.

I hear FaceBook bought them and want the band width so they're clearing everyone out of the way.

Tony lee :eek:ldguy

Sounds about right, don't it? It's no wonder I'm not a SpaceBooker, HA!

Zucker me ars....................

Facebook sucks also. Might explain the reason they made such a dumb move, they want to kill it.

I was telling Dave that they could have charged a nominal fee of just a couple of bucks a month for it and most people would have done it. $400 a year you can buy a Virtual Server for the web and then some and host your own images.

As far as the Gallery on MA is concern, we will not have the same gallery when we migrate and upgrade but we will have some sort of gallery to host your images if you wish. The policy is that if a member in good standing is using our services to host their images on 3rd party we're ok with that. It's alll in the name of sharing the hobby.

We're not the only ones upset.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/4/15919224/photobucket-broken-images-amazon-ebay-etsy-paid-update

I hear FaceBook bought them and want the band width so they're clearing everyone out of the way.

Tony lee :eek:ldguy

Actually not according to anything I could find, but from what Wikipedia says, and it is up to date on the latest, is that it is partnered with twitter.

Twitter partnership[edit]
Twitter announced in June 2011 that Photobucket will become the default photo sharing platform for Twitter.[12] According to a report by Sysomos, 2.25M images are shared on Twitter daily, which accounts for 1.25% of all Tweets posted.[13] Just before the announcement, TwitPic and Yfrog were the leading photo-sharing services.

From what I could find I would say that they are stepping up their game and getting in with some of the bigger photo/file sites that are more corporate/big photographer orientated,and which do charge exorbitant fees. Personally I think if you wanna snub them just leave your account alone instead of deleting it, and get another one to use, otherwise I think you are just giving them the desired results of freeing up space.

At the moment my pics seem to be still up but I'm moving things over to Imgur at the moment, and one thing I've noticed is that the file size is a bit larger then what Imgur will let you resize it, to after I've down loaded it and then uploaded it. I also find it easier to upload camera pics to Photobucket, download them to my computer, and then reload them to Imgur then to try and load them directly.

Funny you mentioned Imgur, heard some good things about that site. I'm thinking Fotki isn't where I want to be, some sites won't take to it well.

As for deleting my account, it was worthless and I have original copies anyway. No need to keep an undesired hindrance amongst the living, lol.

Cheers, Ski.

Back