• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

USS Hornet Sea Air & Space Museum 7 May 2017

Rhino

Super Moderator
USS_Hornet_CVS-12.jpg

My Sweetheart and I took a trip to California to visit her Daughter, Son-in-Law, grandchildren, Sister & Brother-in-Law this May.
We drove 3,710 miles in 10 days. We had a very fine car-ride getting to Oroville, where the kids were. We saw a lot of America the Beautiful. My one wish was to visit USS Hornet CVS-12 at the Alameda pier, in San Francisco Bay. I was quite insistent that we go Sunday 7 May. This was Deb's first visit to any aircraft carrier, anywhere, so I wanted it to be special! I had a ulterior motive That my darlin' Deb did not suspect.
I've been a wee bit slow on posting this. Photo editing tools in Windows 10 are new to me.
USS_Hornet_Arrival.jpg

20170507_131204.jpg

Moored near the old Hornet a 4 huge Ro-Ro's (Roll-on Roll-off cargo carriers) held in readiness by a skeleton crew of 10 Men each. These vessels stand ready to respond to natural disasters that may occur on the Left Coast.

We were met on the Hangar Deck by USS Hornet Museum docent Bert Carlson. Bert is a USS Midway sailor, in the engineering spaces in the mid-1970's. (Don't say "snipe" like that!!) :tomato :salute :skipper
USS_Hornet_Bert_Carlson~0.jpg

Originally from Minnesota, tall affable Bert is a treasure trove of US Navy Aircraft Carrier,and engineering lore. We could not have had a better tour guide/wing man. :eek:ldguy :salute
USS_Hornet_Apollo_CM.jpg

Not the actual Apollo Capsule, this one was a training unit, made to predict re-entry characteristics of the manned Ship. You would have be pretty friendly with your fellows to take a ride to the Moon in one of these cozy things. My Honey's tricky phone has more computing power than both of the Apollo spacecraft modules of those heady days.
USS_Hornet_Apollo_CM_28229.jpg

Them winders ain't facktrey. They wuz added afterwerds. :drool
USS_Hornet_Gemini_Capsule.jpg

The Gray Ghost also recovered the Gemini capsule. The navigation was so precise it looked as if the Gemini capsule might land on the flight deck. :smack As it occurred Gemini splashed down just 3 miles from the Ship. The pictured Sikorsky Sea King is not the actual "Old 66". It IS the proper Sea King. I was saddened to learn the actual "Old 66" was lost a couple of years after the Apollo recovery mission.

USS_Hornet_Scooter.jpg

One of Composite Squadron 8's TA-4J aggressor ships graced the hangar bay as well.
USS_Hornet_CIC_Analog_nav_coumputer.jpg

This you don't see just every day! the analog mechanical system that drives "The Bug" used in the navigation plot. Keen-O! :coolio
Next stop, Combat! :zen (y)
USS_Hornet_CIC.jpg

USS Hornet's Combat Information Center is as complete as any Sea Dog could ask for. Radar scopes, plotting boards, ad lost of historical value contained here in. Everything but sweating young sailors, and comms chatter. Too fargin' COOL!!
USS_Hornet_CIC_Ploting_board_1.JPG

This 'board shows CV-12, USS Hornet's position in Task Group 58.1 with Adm. James J. "Jocko" Clark in command, during March of 1945 as the attack on Okinawa commenced. Notice the surrounding US Navy Vessel's radio call-signs are also written in in grease pencil. :ro: (it may have been paint pencil these days. Not much updating to do.)
Bert darkened the compartment and turned on the red night vision lamps for us, to add to the ambiance'. Mt camera flash spoiled the effect.

USS_Hornet_CIC_Ploting_board_2.JPG

Helo control board, circa 1969. You'll notice on both plotting boards a DD-96, USS Hedley, call-sign "Joker" has been added. As it turns out, Bert's mischievious friend, Keith has "pencilled himself in" to naval history aboard CVS-12. I'd have liked to meet the C/O of USS Hedley (Lamar). I'd imagine he and I are kindred spirits. :rotf

Next up, Flight Deck!
USS_Hornet_LSO_platform.JPG

An imaculate example of the Landing Signal Officer's control platform. Yup! The nets for getting out of the way of wayward Navy aircraft are still there too. The 4-foot chain link is a non-mil spec safety addition.
USS_Hornet_Fresnel_Landing_light.JPG

For the uneducated among us, I shall narrate! This is the Fresnel landing light system. (the Ball). Aviators coming up the glide slope (yes, Up!) can see the Ball, day or night to let them know how there alignment with the landing pattern looks. The ever-watchful, experience Aviator standing on the LSO platform can see the entire flight deck, and the approaching aircraft. The LSO has absolute authority to allow incoming aircraft to Trap, or to wave them off.
USS_HORNET_wave_off.JPG

Bert demonstrated the restored, operating, fresnel landing system for us. This is what a "Wave-off" looks like when the airplane driver has done everything else right. His altitude is good, his speed is good, he's centered on glide path. Contrary to what you see on The Big Screen, not a hell of a lot of radio chatter goes on between the Carrier & incoming aircraft. Hand signals, flag hoists, and finely orchestrated procedures are strictly adhered to. To much chatter gives the Ships position away. :bat
I can't say every visitor gets the V.I.P. treatment Deb & I did. I hope so! Young MR. Carlson Knows his Vessel!

More pictures to come. Time for tending to my Ham & potato soup more closely! :yipee

really neat! Too bad they don't have the Hraley from Clint Eastwood in MAGNUM FORCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8l7cD_YI4Y

USS_Hornet_F-14D_n__Fiance_.JPG

The VF-101 F-14D still had her GE-110 engines in Her.
We visited the Un-reps conning station, the Bridge, and Deb sat in the Captain's chair. The skipper wasn't about, or He might have tossed us both in the Brig!
IMG_6765.JPG

The Helm, inside the armored Battle Bridge and "Vulture's Row". I stood in the very same spot President Richard M. Nixon stood in when Ol' 66 brought the Apollo 11 astronauts back to the Ship. That's RIGHT The Big Dick's footprints!! :rotf
After our tour of the Island superstructure, we freed Bert to go attend to other USS Hornet visitors, subject to the demands of the Service. I did not expect my Sweetie to be as interested in the Ship as she was. Off She went, scampering down ladders and ducking through hatche,s to see more of CVS-12's tidy, squared away spaces.
IMG_6767.JPG

USS_Hornet_Berthing_space.jpg

Enlisted berthing space
USS_Hornet_Chapel.jpg

The Chapel
USS_Hornet_Sick_Bay.jpg

USS_Hornet_Sick_bay_28229.jpg

After Sick Bay
USS_Hornet_Chief_s_galley.jpg

USS_Hornet_Chief_s_wardroom.jpg

The Chief's galley & Mess deck
USS_Hornet_Torpedo_assy_space.jpg

USS_Hornet_Deb_s_Used_torpedo_sales.jpg

Torpedo assembly space. WWII Mk. 13, with a Mk.48 in the background. Anybody Need Mk. 46 acoustic homing torpedo?
20170507_142442_001.jpg

A "Dress up like a Sailor" play area. Deb chose the cap of a Marine Lt. Colonel.
I'll see if my Lady has any more Hornet pictures to post.
Alameda isn't what it once was. No Jets, no silent, gray, steel, ships arriving & departing. No Ratings returning to Quonset huts, after a long day's toil. Most picturesque, and a lot quieter. It smelled nice there too!
Arrived_Home21__Sierra_Hotel21.jpg

Our hats are off the Men & Women of the USS Hornet Air, Sea and Space Museum! Well Done!!
Special thanks to Chris Miller, and Mr. Bert Carlson. My partners in accomplishing the most important " mischievious mission" of the 4th quarter of this Life. :salute :captain :salute :captain :salute :notworthy :good: :ro: :ro: :dude

Not gonna lie. Little jelly. B)

I do miss the time I spent bobbing around on those floating cities. The best of times, the worst of times.

No fair, you added more pictures after I commented. Glad I came back around to check. That analog computer is waycool!

USS_Hornet_You_re_doing_this_Here__Now21.JPG

Mike's been after me to 'fess about what else we did while aboard USS Hornet. So I will give in.
I have a one-of-a-kind Sweetheart. :love I had a one-of-a-kind engagement ring made for Her by a local Indianola jewelry shop. :coolio I had to choose an unforgettable place for my oft rehearsed proposal. :captain :eek:ldguy :pilot The Men & Women of the USS Hornet Museum and I had been in cahoots for better than 5 weeks. Deb was completely surprised as the visit unfolded. She asked me, "You're doing this here?! Now?!"
USS_Hornet_Yes.JPG

I blew my rehearsed speech. I was uncharacteristically choked up, and managed to get out "Now I have a question for You, Young Lady. Will you Marry me?" :facepalm
Debra put her hand on my face, smiled her signature smile, Then she said "Yes, I will be happy to be your Wife, Chris."
This is not truly a Modeling subject, so I hesitated to post it on M/A. I wish no disrespect to my world-wide Brethren. It IS a Milestone in the life of your, perhaps, most confirmed bachelor.
I never expected to marry again, for any reason. I'm sincere about this Woman. I want Her to have no doubts about it. This Life is finite. Don't waste ONE SECOND of it! :bat
Everything that followed has been, just so much velvet, I can't believe I live in my old, craggy, skin.
Thanks for lookin' in!!

Nice! (y) (y) (y)

Wishing you both all the best, now and forever! :drinks

Cheers!

Bill

(You are in by back yard. I'm just a couple of minutes on the other side of those hills in the background). :eek:ldguy

Back