• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

SurgiCon 23 8 April 2017

Rhino

Super Moderator
It's High time I invited everyone to attend SurgiCon 23. The date is 8 April 2017 at the Euclid room, next door to the Hy-Vee store on east Euclid avenue, in Des Moines IA. Our Theme is "1942, Turning the Tide in The Pacific".
Surgicon23Flyer.pdf

Yet another year I won't be able to make the show, but will maybe make the nat's in Omaha? B)

Best wishes and here's to good attendance! :drinks

flyer.jpg

Our awards will once again be the ever popular Drinkware. Some of you will be working on a whole set in the not too distant future. (You know who YOU are!)
We have a great many special Awards as well. They are listed on the Club website.
http://ipms-plasticsurgeons.com/index.html
The Club has a FaceHole page, but I don't use FaceHole. I swear I never will.
100_2699.JPG

100_2700.JPG

Making it's very first appearance at SurgiCon 23, is the Chuck Sterns Junior Award. A fun Eaglet seemed appropriate!
We split our juniors by age. FUN!
Thanks for looking in!
That's all for now!

I won't be able to get away from work long enough to make the trip. Have fun and get lots of loot! :drinks

Beautiful awards! I know already that even if I showed up, I'd never have a shot at one of those. Too many outstanding modelers surpass my work by a country mile. Still, I'm trying to get to the Omaha Nationals so hopefully I'll see some of you there. Good luck to all those who attend.

A little to short of a notice for me this year. I am going to try and make the Nats in Omaha though. Go up and visit my brother in Kansas City and make a long day trip to Omaha to check it out. Hopefully nothing will come up to derail that plan.

Anybody who wants to win the Chuck Sterns Award must build a classic (Turd) Model kit, Lindberg, Airfix, old Tamiya, Mania, Aurora, IMC, Monogram, Revell (not Revell of Germany), Hawk, AMT (Yep! Cars count!) MPC, Skywave (Ship models count too!), L/S, like Chuck used to and blow it out! Scratch built beauties with all the detail. Last years winner was an old 1/48 Monorgram F-5E Tiger II, by Alan Milsap. It was truly amazing!!
IMG_5370~0.JPG

IMG_5371~0.JPG

The Gauntlet has been thrown down! Bring your finest (or don't!) PFFGHT!! :pp
At very least, I wish My Model Brethren to come share in our Fun!

Sweet Tiger! I could build one of those ancient models (and often do) but I can't scratch or kitbash enough to match even half that skill. Great to see and I'll be eager to see who wins it this year.

As Modelers, we are oft, our own worst critic. Trust Yourself! Your work, or more succinctly "Play" is much better than you think it is!! Dig deep for the Boldness required to be judged by your peers (Or some ding-a-ling that builds Airplanes)
Take you medications! Overcome your angst, and come enjoy the company of We ding-a-lings :smack (y) :bat :salute :eek:ldguy :pilot

Or don't.
:rotf

NEXT SATURDAY! :yipee :yipee :yipee
I love me a Model Show! :drool

Be there, or be a Bay City Roller! :rotf :bat :rotf :tomato

Sooo......... SOME of you are now Bay City Rollers!! :stinker :pp (you know who you are!!) Great Fun, and expansive modelness was had by all at SurgiCon 23 today! I took 53 Pictures! :yipee Commentary to follow!
Our Biggest Show yet!
100_2866.JPG

100_2867.JPG

So it begins, tentative, like the deep breath before the plunge....... Once again, Frank Miller is, unintentionally, in nearly even pitcher I took! See the burgundy sweater?! I got Mrs. Miller too! See the Lady in the denim top? GOTCHA! Hmm..
100_2868.JPG

100_2869.JPG

100_2870.JPG

100_2871.JPG

About the Contested Space. Vendors setting up.
100_2873.JPG

Kevin Yootsler and Dave Lintell. The dyanamic Model Duo!
100_2875.JPG

Frank (Again!) Pete Gitzel, Roscoe, Tim, and Ty Stevens, getting the bulge on other styrene-starved model vultures!!

100_2876.JPG

Model stalwart, Winston Vermillia fills out his registration forms. See Cinda Miller, with her party hair, in the background, yet again? HA! Gotcha Cinda!!
100_2877.JPG

United Nates! McCoy & Stevens! Both awesome model makers
100_2878.JPG

USN Vet Tim Bowden Barry Rolow (Raffle) Jeff & his wife (Getting married to Jeff to become Belle Bobela! If THAT's not Lovin', Nuthin is! She's very sweet!), from KC, and Honored diorama maker/vendor Larry Klausen in action!
100_2879.JPG

100_2880.JPG

About the Vendor spaces. Many $$ changed hands this Day!
100_2881.JPG

Incredulous Barry Rolow disdains my winning raffle tickets.
100_2882.JPG

Sneak Peek! 2017 Omaha National Contest Awards. Pretty Nifty!! (y) :ro: :drool

100_2883.JPG

SurgiCon 23 Awards.
100_2884.JPG

Contestants (Francisco Melendez and some other doods) and Monogram's 1/72 B-52 built! Neet-O! (y)
100_2885.JPG

1/72 scale jet
100_2886.JPG

1/48 scale Jets! :pilot Plenty of 1/48 F-14 Tomcats, Tamiya & Academy came to play today!!
100_2887.JPG

100_2888.JPG

1/72 & smaller Props!
100_2889.JPG

100_2890.JPG

1/72 scale multi-engine Props. That IS the most horrible, ill-fitting Mach 2 POS N/A A-2J Savage, perfected! Virgil won this year's Chuck Sterns Award. :good: (y) :notworthy :ro: :dude

Back