• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The IPMS show in Huntsville with photos!

Heavens Eagle

One of the guys in our local group is going down and asked if anyone wanted to ride along. Day trip for us, so is anyone going? Have not been to an IPMS show since the 80's and those were Dallas and Oklahoma City.

Anyone going to the IPMS show in Huntsville?

I guess you must be talking about Huntsville . AL.

If so, that would be about 6.30 hours for me.....Sort of far :soldier

Cheers, Christian B)

Yeah Huntsville, AlaBAMa! :D I wil take my older Nikon L24 and my phone all charged up for photos. Have figured out my Note 4 phone takes excellent close up pics so won't bother with my close up attachment on the camera.

Should be a fun adventure. Have not done anything like this in a long while.

Planning on it Bob. The folks that I will be going with are also quite interesting. Gabor and his wife are originally from Hungary and he travels all over the world in his job. Stan is ex airforce and is our resident guru on everything jet related. Types, markings, who flew them, weapon load outs and weapon types.

Should be some interesting conversations on the way to and fro. :D

The trip to Huntsville went along quite nicely! Stan ended up going separately as he had some company or something. Gabor, his wife and I left Memphis a touch after 6. We hopped on the 4 lane and became so involved in good conversation that we missed the turn off and ended up taking the long way around to Millington up north. (I didn't know! I never been there before! :smack )

We got straightened out and backtracked to the correct turn off and made it to Huntsville by a little after 11. I had only met Gabor at the meetings and we hit it off the whole trip was seemingly short as the conversations just kept bouncing around among all kinds of subjects.

At the show there were 333 entries. Gabor had the last entries and entered a bunch of kits. I believe he won 5 or 6 awards. Pretty much the rest of my local modelers group was there in attendance as well. The vendors area was a bit light, but had a few interesting items. Was able to be choosy though.

We went to lunch and then did a VERY quick run through the Huntsville Space museum and then ran back and collected Gabor's kits. As I said he placed with several of his builds and was quite elevated on the way back. While it was a long day and we were tired by the time we got back, it was hugely enjoyable and I was able to get to know one of our more interesting members!

OK here are some photos.

Hunt2016-01.jpg

Hunt2016-02.jpg

Hunt2016-03.jpg

Hunt2016-04.jpg

Hunt2016-05.jpg

Hunt2016-06.jpg

Hunt2016-07.jpg

Hunt2016-08.jpg

Hunt2016-09.jpg

Hunt2016-10.jpg

More are coming.

The last batch.

Hunt2016-41.jpg

Hunt2016-42.jpg

Hunt2016-43.jpg

Hunt2016-44.jpg

Hunt2016-45.jpg

Hunt2016-46.jpg

Hunt2016-47.jpg

Hunt2016-48.jpg

Hunt2016-49.jpg

Hunt2016-50.jpg

That's all of the photos of the show. We got back too late for the awards and had to load quick. We did a quick tour of the Space Museum there in Huntsville. Had not seen that before. Looking at the Saturn V outside it didn't seem as big as I thought it was. Yeah I was a big follower of the space flights back in the 60's. Kind of blew my mind how small all that stuff really was relatively speaking. So, yes it was big, just not really as big as I had always pictured it.

I can post some photos of the space museum if you all would like.

Think I saw #47 somewhere before, that guy must get around.

Good job Paul, nice report. No pictures for the Rocket Museum?

Some incredably nice work there. I think the first Pz III and the paddle wheeler are my favs but its hard to decide with so many nice looking entries. Thanks for posting these up.
James

Think I saw #47 somewhere before, that guy must get around.

Good job Paul, nice report. No pictures for the Rocket Museum?

Yes, I do have some pictures from the rocket museum. It was getting late and they are going to need a little more editing than the show photos did. In additon I switched to using the cam in my Note 4 (phone). It seemed to just work better though the pics are wide screen. Ugh! :facepalm

Great pics, just that the wide aspect ratio is something I have not really worked with before.

Some incredably nice work there. I think the first Pz III and the paddle wheeler are my favs but its hard to decide with so many nice looking entries. Thanks for posting these up.
James

Those first couple pics (armor) were really nice and were really small. Seems like they were 1/72nd scale. The paddle wheeler was impressive due to it's size, but up close it was made out of wood, rather rough and not finished all that well.

I just tried to take a nice sampling of some of the better looking or eye catching builds. The one that really impressed me was the "unpainted" Mig-3. The natural metal, the wood surfaces, and finally the fabric control surfaces, were very well done.

I was sort of hoping this was Huntsville, Texas. You could have gotten some pictures of "Ole Sparky" :D

Back