• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

10 Sept 2016 IPMS Gateway Model Show

Rhino

Super Moderator
Any M/A personel visiting St. Louis this coming week-end?

http://www.ipms-gateway.com/invite2016.html

It's Boeing's 100th Birthday! :salute :eek:ldguy :pilot

That'd be a hell of a road trip for me, wish I could but.

What's Boeings connection to St. Louis?

They acquired major manufacturing & development facilities from the acquisition of McDonnell Douglas. Current production facilities of the F-15 & F/A-18.

Rhino's Immortals ride again! :rotf :yipee
If you don't make the show, you can wait for the Pictures. :pp

Ah, the Ride of the Immortals! Right on!

I shall miss the Ride, but will still enjoy living vicariously through your pics.

Attending a Show isn't just about Modeling. The Road Trip, the Jokes, the pranks we play, the speed limits we fracture, The music, Beverages, good food, "Want Lists", Old Friends, new acquaintances, Pointers from the Old Hands. Well, Models too! Pictures and Overview, Incoming!!
BI21168_281024x81929.jpg

St. Louis is the home office of Douglas-McDonnell/Douglas-Boeing Aircraft Company, since 1916. Lots of flying War Machines have originated from right here on the Missouri banks of the Mighty Mississippi River. :pilot
The Trip to St. Louis was without loss or mishap. Cloudy skies, intermittent showers, and non verbal communications with texting drivers were the norm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPKLfKtrikI
Our Club Treasurer, George is a HUGE Fan of Steak & Shake restaurants. There aren't any in Iowa, so after the customary arrival celebration, we adjourned, on foot to the nearby Steak & Shake location. This gave birth to the first Prank.
IMG_6144.JPG

Our fun-loving server provided the necessary items to surprise George. We tipped the dickens out of her!!
IMG_6145.JPG

George seemed pleased, and it was great fun!
On a trip of 5 hours driving time, when I can I like to get there the day before, and stay overnight, to be suitably ready for Model-Happiness the next morning. We had 3 Surgeons in the room, and I encountered some obstacles with our accommodations, that I feel disinclined to delve into. On to the Show!!
IMG_6153.JPG

The vendor hall was packed and well lighted! LOTS of cool old kits to be had, and newer issues too!!
IMG_6154_281014x102429.jpg

Contest Stalwart Smilin' Pete Giztel came all the way from Milwaukee WI. to feed the appetities of many styrene enthusiasts!
(Nobody gripe about how far it is to St. Lou!!!) :bat
IMG_6155.JPG

IMG_6156.JPG

Armor.
IMG_6157.JPG

One of Sheppard Paine's old Favorites!!
IMG_6158.JPG

Skill & patience yield a dandy 1/35 Wasserschlepper!
IMG_6159.JPG

The old Italeri SU-76 needed further dusting, perhaps, before Her show appearance.
IMG_6160.JPG

I liked the "Puma" Sherman vignette very much! :ro: (y)
IMG_6161_281024x95629.jpg

Darren "Mr. Roberts" Roberts in action! He might have the most enthusiasm of anyone I've ever met! :yipee
IMG_6162.JPG

1/72 M4A3E8 Sherman tank vignette! :coolio
IMG_6169_281024x76829.jpg

IMG_6171_281024x76829.jpg

IMG_6172_281024x76829.jpg

IMG_6173_281024x76829.jpg

IMG_6174_28768x102429.jpg

1/16 Big-Boy scale Tamiya KT dio. "In the round" Impressive! Eyes are hard to get "just-so"
IMG_6195.JPG

IMG_6196.JPG

IMG_6203.JPG

IMG_6197.JPG

IMG_6204.JPG

I'm pretty sure "Puma" and "Awaiting Orders" M-36 Jackson are the same Modeler. :notworthy
Look, Mom! No tracks!!
IMG_6198.JPG

Artillery. Things that make you go "BOOM"!!
IMG_6200.JPG

Here's an old Tamiya favorite! Royal Army 25-pounder!

IMG_6206_28911x102429.jpg

IMG_6207.JPG

Hand-made Story telling on display!! "Grizzly Surprise" made out of wire armatures and epoxy sculpt. Not a contest entry, but completely amazing!! :drool :notworthy
IMG_6164.JPG

Figures.
IMG_6164_28229.jpg

Don's "Ahab the Arab used machine gun delivery" I wish my picture was better! It was really COOL!!
IMG_6201.JPG

Missiles. V-2 = Missile, YES! V-2 = spacecraft? Not buying it.
IMG_6168.JPG

IMG_6170_28746x102429.jpg

IMG_6167_281024x74429.jpg

Ship Models and Submarines. Mike says "Hey! Someone built one of your Shrimpin' Boat models!" :smack Indeed!!
IMG_6165.JPG

Military, out-of Box.
IMG_6166.JPG

This why I think it works well to have fewer categories, and more possible splits.
On to Flying Thingies!!
IMG_6175.JPG

You don't see the 1/24 scale George everyday!
IMG_6177.JPG

Airfix' Mighty 1/24 scale Rocket-Tiffy! :good:
IMG_6178.JPG

IMG_6179.JPG

1/48 Props
IMG_6180.JPG

IMG_6181.JPG

1/72 Props
IMG_6182.JPG

1/72 & Smaller Aircraft.

Wheels. There were lots of Automotive models in different guises!! SHINY!!!
IMG_6185.JPG

IMG_6187.JPG

IMG_6189.JPG

IMG_6193.JPG

IMG_6194.JPG

The Convertibles were out in the fair fall weather.
IMG_6186_281024x54629.jpg

IMG_6188_281024x63429.jpg

IMG_6190_281024x62829.jpg

I like how this Modeler displays his Autos. You can see the handy work underneath as well! :good:

IMG_6208_281024x76829.jpg

Raffle contestants gather around their Prey! This year's raffle seemed bigger & better than last year's Regional Show. :idonno I won 8 prizes, and gave a couple away. You don't need EVERY raffle prize. The Kia only carries so much freight with 3 Model Maniacs aboard. I found 2 Model kits from my personal Want List! :yipee

IMG_6222.JPG

IMG_6223.JPG

Dr. Terrance Dactel won 3 Awards, but there was no trophy for "Best Boeing 2nd Place". Not very Cricket, That.
(his name is actually Stanley Terrance Dactel, but you NEVER use the "Stanley". He cares little for his monogram.)

120 Modelers gathered 10 Sept. 2016 at the Route 66 Holiday Inn SW, and entered 188 models. I'd like to see the vendor room and the Contest Room trade places. The lighting in Contest room is not adequate. I thought this year's Gateway show seemed lightly attended, as testified by the empty spaces on the Contest tables. No Junior Models were entered.
It was still whole big bunches of FUN!

Saturday, 10 September 2016 was also Mark Twain Hobbies 40th Anniversary. R/c stuff flying, a racing car, Door prizes, free Tee-shirts for entering for the hourly door prizes, discounts to previous customers. and the forward 1/3 of a Missouri ANG F-4E Phantom II. More shopping, laughter, and hobby fun was had! Presents!!!
F-4E_Intake_1_281024x76829.jpg

Turning on #1!! Keep clear the jet intakes!!!
F-4E_Intake_2_281024x74929.jpg

Hey, What's that noise?
F-4E_Intake_3_281024x73929.jpg

HELP MISTER WIZARD!!
F-4E_Intake_4.JPG

Whaddya gonna do?
IMG_6216.JPG

EJECT! EJECT! EJECT! This is gonna hurt without straps!
IMG_6218~0.JPG

A credit to our training and experience, no harm came to any of Iowa's Steely-Eyed, Deadly, MiG Killers!

IMG_6221.JPG

IMG_6220.JPG

A couple of Classics!!

Thanks for looking in!!

Great report and congratulations!!! Well deserved. Some good looking models there....but is it bad that the drool started with the last two pics of the Charger? LOL

Thank you Luiz! It takes a lot of time and effort to post Show stuff like this. I'm pleased to know someone enjoys my humble effort!

Thank you Luiz! It takes a lot of time and effort to post Show stuff like this. I'm pleased to know someone enjoys my humble effort!

I ALWAYS enjoy your efforts! I'd post pics of our Orangecon, but they are not nearly as entertaining as yours. I still try to post pics of some of the most interesting models though.

Got Orangecon coming up in a few weeks. Looking forward to it.

Looks like a good show and much fun was had.

Maybe next year, remind us 2 weeks ahead of time and you might see some new faces. :frantic

Well, I made it back to the Carolinas, in mostly one piece. :laugh: We had a ball fielding questions like "Are you really Plastic Surgeons?" "Why, yes ma'am. Award winning Plastic Surgeons". I'm convinced if I'd have left my scalpel in the pocket of my scrubs, a woman at the hobby shop would have had Don remove the doohicky on her elbow right there in the parking lot!

Stooge_Surgeons.jpg

I did get to visit with Alan Horner and didn't buy anything (a major rarity), although Rhino and Don got smokin' deals from The Man From Ohio. :notworthy

The_Mask.jpg

Just to clarify some rumors, Rhino did have a bit of an issue with the rollaway bed.

Rollaway_Rhino.jpg

Damned if we could figure out how the hell he got in there without opening the bed and we were laughing too hard to get a clear photo, so this one is up there with the Bigfoot and Loch Ness photos. :rotf

We got him out of there and poured him into the tub, a fitting repose for a sailor/plumber.

Plumbers_Nightmare.jpg

My only show purchase came in handy on the way home, the suction cup GPS bracket broke, so I fixed it with one of the hemostats I bought at Mark Twain's for a buck each. Seems like there's a photo somewhere, but may be lost to antiquity.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :salute

:drinks

Back