• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

IANG 75th Anniversary/ Family Day/ F-100F Visit

Rhino

Super Moderator
Today, The Iowa Air National Guard celebrated not only their Annual Family Day, but their 75th Anniversary. :salute (y)
How did I get through those Hallowed Gates, you ask?? Well, I'll tell you. Kevin Itzeller brought it to our IPMS Clubs attention that General Keith Acheson (USAF Ret.) had invited the only flying example of the North American F-100F Super Sabre (since in the '60's Our Guard flew the venerable, durable, remarkable Hun) to attend the Anniversary. Donations for the $6,400.00 worth of jet fuel were being sought. I put it to our Club for a vote, and the membership decided to donate our requested $100.00 to further this effort. It seemed like the good and right thing to do, to honor the Men, Women, families, and friends of our Air Guard Unit, The 132nd Tactical Fighter Wing. (long winded, ain't I?)

In any case, sponsors would be permitted to attend the closed Event, as long as they met General Acheson at an appointed place, and didn't make no fuss. :bat A fine task indeed! Anyone from IPMS Plastic Surgeons who showed up could attend. Woe to those who chose not to.
The Sponsor Board;
IMG_5600.JPG

I see General Robin Olds' name, but the Man, his ownself, was no where to be seen.

The Schildberg Brothers. John & Dave. John worked at the Air Guard base 45 years ago. He was VERY familiar the the F-100!
IMG_5601.JPG

Good practice for all Aviators!
IMG_5602.JPG

Now on to the Aircraft!! It seemed to be "North American" Day T-6 Texan, Stearman PT-17...
IMG_5603.JPG

General Dynamics F-16 Viper, P-51D Mustang........
IMG_5604.JPG

Dean "Cutter" Cutshall's F-100F Super Sabre!! WOOOO!! she's a Beauty!!! Now for the walk-around!!
IMG_5606.JPG

354th TFW Wing Commander's Markings (I think!)
IMG_5608.JPG

Avionics bay, and luggage;
IMG_5609.JPG

Main gear well details;
IMG_5610.JPG

Speed brake bay plumbing;
IMG_5611.JPG

Hi Chris ! Thanks for sharing the pictures. Beautifully maintained F-100 .

Did you notice, the only bird to not be a North American product is the F-16 ?

and why is that man smiling and holding a handgun ?

Cheers, Christian B)

I see General Robin Olds' name, but the Man, his ownself, was no where to be seen.

He died in 2007. :salute

Good pictures Chris.

Dig the "Center line Stores" "Special Stores" stencil, in USAF speak, you know what "Special" is. :frantic

The Hun is looking good, where's it's FOB?

Cheers, Christian B)

Stearman is NA?

I think it's a cane Chris. :eek:ldguy

Nose view. Cutter and Crew Chief, Paul, hard at it, making sure their Ship is First Class.
IMG_5612.JPG

SHINEY!!!!!
IMG_5613.JPG

Colors!!!!!
IMG_5614.JPG

That's what color the skin turns when you heat, and cool it. For Real!! see the "N" number?
IMG_5615.JPG

IMG_5616.JPG

IMG_5617.JPG

Meticulously cared for, even the afterburner nozzle sparkles! This jet used to belong to the Turkish Air Force. After Dean, Paul and his crew got their hands on Her, they spent 2 years getting the Hun into proper shape.
IMG_5618.JPG

HALLOOOOOOoooooo!
IMG_5619.JPG

Crew Chief, Paul Swick, and Dean Cutshall, pause for a picture. These two men never stood still, all day in the heat.
IMG_5619.JPG

My First F-100 experience was many Moons ago, when the USAF Thunderbirds flew Super Sabres at the Oshkosh Airshow. I saw the F-model, airborne, 3 times yesterday from my sultry, menial, dreary job site. Made my day!
Front office;
IMG_5643.JPG

Can you spot the 8-track tape player?
IMG_5644.JPG

IMG_5645.JPG

IMG_5647.JPG

Rear seat. Not too many details. I didn't want to climb all over Cutter's rare Jet.
IMG_5646.JPG

Canopy frame, port side.
IMG_5648.JPG

See the vents? They keep the front windscreen free of debris. High speed windshield wiper! :notworthy
IMG_5649.JPG

Engine started, warming up. Crew Chief Swick climbs (YGBSM!) on the outside of the jet, making final checks. John Schlidberg tells me there are instruments under the cover aft of the Canopy that must be checked during preflight. She idled for quite a while. Jet exhaust is an aroma all it's own!
IMG_5652.JPG

Iowa Air Guard personell were proficient, and professional. I'd bet they were glad to have some Fire-breathing Jets about the Airpatch. IANG transitioned to UAV's (sob. sniff. phfffgtt!) a while ago.
Chocks away, after a short roll, brake test, and a touch of throttle, Super Sabre glides off to the runway threshold.
IMG_5653.JPG

Speed building, "burner" plugged, Cutter thunders down the runway. He's very respectful of his priceless airplane.
IMG_5654.JPG

Unlike contemporary jets that have 5 zones of Afterburner, the F-100F's "reheat" is on, or off. This time it's on!!
IMG_5656.JPG

Rotate, and hunt for Heaven. I was fortunate to get these pictures. I was nearly overcome with nostalgia.
IMG_5657.JPG

"5 X 5" pass. 500 feet AGL, 500 kts. ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmm!
IMG_5658.JPG

More tomorrow!! Thanks for looking in!!

Oops! This is the pict' that goes with the caption:
Crew Chief, Paul Swick, and Pilot, Dean Cutshall, pose for quick a picture. These two men never stood still very long, all day, in the 90 degree heat.
IMG_5620.JPG

There were Helicopters too! Thes two Gentlemen endured my endless queries about their new UH-72A Lakota. Yep, Eurocopter/Airbus. No, Not a TRAM ball/designator, (I said TRAM ball out loud. :smack ) a high-resolution Spectral/thermal imaging camera. (no more sneaking around in the dark!) Primarily used to support law enforcement to interdict illegal narcotics. Auto-pilot and comfier seats for 3+ hour mission endurance. No, it doesn't parallel park itself. Yet.
IMG_5622.JPG

I know Helicopter and Airplane drivers are both Pilots. Still, something is just not quite right about those Egg-beater guys. :rotf (Sorry Tim!!)
IMG_5607.JPG

Nope, not a Navy Plane from VA-176. Still cool, F-16 Viper from Toledo, Ohio.
IMG_5624.JPG

OH! The F-100F flew in from Ft. Wayne, Ohio.

Walk around details;
IMG_5625.JPG

IMG_5626.JPG

Sniper pod.
IMG_5627.JPG

IMG_5628.JPG

IMG_5629.JPG

John C. Meyer's WW-II North American P-51D Mustang. Like the one I gave my Papa, but BIGGER!
IMG_5630.JPG

IMG_5631.JPG

Things have changed some since 1944. No 8-track tape player here!
IMG_5650.JPG

I just have always liked this artwork.
IMG_5651.JPG

RC-25 (?) More Night stalkers!
IMG_5642.JPG

Chuck Sterns' Air Guard Herky is everywhere!
IMG_5632.JPG

Brian sold his pristine PT-17 to another Airplane Nut. No, Stearman isn't a North American subsidiary.
IMG_5633.JPG

IMG_5634.JPG

Not everyone is silly enough to stand out in the hot sun.
IMG_5635.JPG

You don't see the old Aeronica 7AC in "uniform" everyday! :good:
IMG_5636.JPG

IMG_5637.JPG

I found me an old Bug-smasher that made me feel right at home!
IMG_5641.JPG

See!?! Yellow Peril!
IMG_5640.JPG

Stearman cowling detail, anyone?
IMG_5638.JPG

If I had my very own N2S, I'd mebbe paint a purty gurl on Her, if it pleased me to do so.
IMG_5639.JPG

I could not bring myself to buy a 132nd TFW patch, with a Reaper UAV on it. :stinker
Soooooooooooooooo...............
IMG_5659.JPG

My thanks to the Officers, Men & Women of the Iowa Air National Guard for allowing us to share your special day, and your Super Sabre. All y'all wuz rill nahse. No one saw me do one naughty thing.
It was an Honor!!!

Cheers, Christian B)

Stearman is NA?

I think it's a cane Chris. :eek:ldguy

Oops , It is a Boeing product and after more peering into the dark, it could be a cane . Really gives the impression of a black powder pistol at first glance :coolio
Never know at these military shows :idonno

Thanks for the big dose of Iowa skies, sure makes me homesick. Glad to see the turnout and that the thunder boomer stayed away.

I remember standing on the open observation deck watching the jets with my aunt and cousins back in 1967, oh the sound of freedom to a 10 year old! :salute

Thanks again, Chris! :drinks

Very cool pics of some awesome birds. The other planes and the F-100 were ok I guess! :D
I luvs my wallymacopters. (Insert helicopter pilot emoji here!)--Hey Bob? How's about one after July???
Really seriously, those pics of the F-100 were way cool!
I bet that was one noisy jet.
Thanks for the cool pics!

Tim

The Hun wasn't as noisy as I had expected. Even with the 'burner plugged, she lacked the booming, roiling, snarl of GE-110 in zone 5. An elegant looking Aircraft. The F-100 500 kt. pass was impressive. Take that Fansong!! Up yours, Firecan!!!

General Acheson sent me pict's from his camera. Look for the wiry, wily looking, Fighter Pilot, in the orange-ish 132nd TFW tee-shirt, sunglasses, and Ball cap, and you will have found General Keith Acheson, of IANG F-100 and A-7D fame.
Have a look-see!
Cutter will tell anyone interested about his Jet
IMG_8607.jpeg

IMG_8608.jpeg

IMG_8609.jpeg

IMG_8610.jpeg

John Schildberg (Camera) getting ready to re-create his F-100 cockpit picture, 45 years later. :eek:ldguy :pilot Watching the Hun take-off was understandably emotional for John. :salute
IMG_8612.jpeg

Back