• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Rivet Molds

jknaus

Administrator
Green Stuff World has just released rivet molds.

2x-rivets-rubber-molds.jpg

steampunk-rivets-studs-stamp-scratch-polymer-clay-detail-03.JPG

steampunk-rivets-studs-stamp-scratch-polymer-clay-detail-01.JPG

Looks interesting.
James

It's a great idea in theory, but molds are a tricky balance to keep for any length of time. The library life has a lot to do with the material, whether it was heat cured and how it's used/stored.

Since failure rate is high with small parts like that, unless you're vacuuming, it may be more trouble than they are worth.

Otherwise, why wouldn't they be selling the rivets and using the molds themselves?

I would guess they think we would see more value in them than buying packages of nuts and bolt heads when we're not really sure what size we do need. Like when I bought from scale hardware I just got like one of each size, spent a lot of money and now, not much to show for it.

If the molds are good quality they could last a while with low usage. If they are not good quality, the word will get out... :eek:hyeah

Pretty cool idea. I guess we'll see how it all shakes out. Me, I get my detailed nuts and bolts from models-hobby.com.
These gems are really detailed.
I bought some for my rotor head scratchbuild. You get a pack of 100 for hardly nothing!

Tim

I would guess they think we would see more value in them than buying packages of nuts and bolt heads when we're not really sure what size we do need. Like when I bought from scale hardware I just got like one of each size, spent a lot of money and now, not much to show for it.

If the molds are good quality they could last a while with low usage. If they are not good quality, the word will get out... :eek:hyeah

Wait a minute - Bob - was that you that used some miniature fasteners for sway braces?

Wait a minute - Bob - was that you that used some miniature fasteners for sway braces?

Not sure about sway braces but I've made all sorts of moving stuff. Like a seat that stows on the 88.

http://www.scalehardware.com/

They have threaded nuts and bolts as well as simulated bolt heads.

Me, I get my detailed nuts and bolts from models-hobby.com.
These gems are really detailed.

Ah, OK. That is the store but the nuts, bolts, and rivets are by MasterClub. I do agree as I have the full line when Historica Hobbies closed down. Another sale (only tracks this time) was from The Tankworkshop.

Click image to see range. The photo shows their 3D catalog which I often use to squash mold a few rivets/bolts/nuts to see how they look on a kit part prior to ordering.

Regards,

Masterclub, yep that's them.
I wish I knew of a US distributor as this site ships out of Russia, which takes a little time.

Tim

I wish I knew of a US distributor as this site ships out of Russia, which takes a little time.

No US distributor for them yet but I am working on that! Problem is, once they make it to this side of the pond, the price goes up quite a bit!

If you don't mind paying a bit more, they are available from a few US shops with the latest (and armor centric) being Hard Target Models (who are completely out of stock on bolts/nuts/rivets).

Regards,

Some very cool stuff here! James, did you buy their mold? Saul, that full size 3D catalog is too cool! Is it available somewhere? Inquiring minds want to know. :coolio

Saul, that full size 3D catalog is too cool!

You can buy it from the link in the first post. I bought mine to get an idea of the sizes available and to know what to order. When the order did not come, or was sold out, I used it to make my own rivets.

Regards,

Just had a thought on this. To extend the mold life, a decent mold release needs to be used. Also simple molds like this tend to work very nicely with little or no damage over time.

Back