• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

News From Shizuoka Model Show

RichB

Tamiya has two new kits on display.

First up, a 1/35 M-10.

M101.jpg

M102.jpg

Next, a 1/48 F-14A Tomcat.

F14A6.jpg

F14A3.jpg

F14A1.jpg

F14A5.jpg

F14A4.jpg

Cheers,
Rich

I'll take one of each please.

I've been hoping Tamiya would do a 1/48 Tomcat forever,should be less complicated for the occasional a/c modeler like me.

Always happy to see an F-14. :cheer:

Though I'm not a fan of how they have broken the missiles into so many pieces. Will be interesting to see where it lands pricewise with the Hasegawa and upcoming AMK.

I always liked the Academy M10, will be interesting to see how the two compare.

Interesting that the F-14 doesn't seem to have the dropped flaps & slats, perhaps an effort to keep the engineering relatively simple and therefore reign in the box price, maybe ?? :hmmm

Ian.

Interesting that the F-14 doesn't seem to have the dropped flaps & slats, perhaps an effort to keep the engineering relatively simple and therefore reign in the box price, maybe ?? :hmmm

Ian.

Looking at the wing root design, it appears they are planning a moving swing-wing like the old Monogram kit. To have that feature, it would force them to design the kit w/ flaps/slats in the up position to slide inside the fuselage confines.

I always liked the Academy M10, will be interesting to see how the two compare.

Ian.

The most common position for the flaps and slats when on the ground is in the up position. Usually they were only deployed when parked for washing, maintenance inspections or due to flap/slat lockout (broken torque tube on the flaps causing the system to default to fully deployed). The flaps and slats were electrically connected and moved together.

The wings were usually swept back to "Oversweep" when parked which would lock the system in the up position. Even with wings swept forward when parked, the flaps and slats were normally in the up position.

In flight, the flaps and slats could be fully deployed with the wings swept forward at 22[sup]o[/sup]. When deployed, the wing was locked until the flaps were raised. Sweeping the wing back between 22[sup]o[/sup] and 50[sup]o[/sup] locked the Auxiliary Flap (inner most section of the flaps) in the up position but still allowed the remainder of the system to function. Sweeping past the 50[sup]o[/sup] position locked the system in the up position.

Cheers,
Rich

I agree Rich, as far as I recall - and I could be very wrong here - only the Hobbyboss kits in 1:72 & 1:48 got the 'oversweep' accurate. It was the main reason I built the Hobbyboss 1:72 kit a few years back. Would be fantastic if Tamiya have got it right too.

Hey, anyone else notice the interchangeable Sidewinder heads, like the Kittyhawk OV-10 kits ??

Ian.

Nice shots, I do think they may have over complicated the AIM 54s though. Ian you're right, dig the optional war heads on the sidewinders.

But the sweep wing is neat the first couple of times after that, eh..

Back