• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Surgicon 22, 30 April 2016

Rhino

Super Moderator
I would like to in invite my Modeler's Alliance Brethren, and guests to the IPMS Plastic Surgeon's 2016 model contest and extravaganza on 30 April 2016. Here's the Show handbill;
SurgiconFlyer.jpg

Many special awards are listed, but you don't see Best Bundewehr Subject, Nifty Fifties lissted on the flyer.
Our First, second, and third place awards look like this right here;
IMG_5083.JPG

Our "special" and "Best of" awards will be the ever popular pint glass. A fine vessel for comsuming sweet tea, and extra handy to have in the event of gathering Rum clouds! A good picture was not easy to get.
IMG_5085.JPG

IMG_5086.JPG

In honor of our great friend, mentor, and gifted modeler, Chuck Sterns, a trophy for the best classic model (Take an old Hawk, Heller, Airfix, Frog, Monogram, Imai, etc. kit, and make it REAL) will be awarded.
IMG_5079.JPG

IMG_5080.JPG

IMG_5081.JPG

I fixed the Eagle's eyes, to make him look focused, and determined. I always do. I'm very particular about Chuck's Award.
IMG_5082.JPG

Very Nice Awards ... But Iowa is a bit far for my 'ol 97 to make it ... I'd have to send my entry .... in the Mail ... (y) :pilot :salute

The Club decided, as a group, to award stuff a guy will use. I AM NOT a "contest modeler" I build things I love and have a lot of fun doing so. Sometimes the judges like them too. My "Love Me" wall went away in 1993's flood in West Des Moines, so medals and plaques mostly just lay around. I do love the cutesy little challenge coin awards.

I had K2 Awards in Richmond VA, womp me up a pint glass, commemerating my Club Presidency, :stinker and I use it all the time. We've bought our drinkware awards from them 2 years in a row. K2 Rocks!! :ro:

I should think that would be quite a ride, from way down Texas way (?) to our show. I included a visit to the Atlanta region 4 show last year, in my Dixie Flyer road-trip. I did not go JUST for the show. I fixed a desk chair too!

We've received sponsorship from Iwata Airbrush, :yipee Xuron tools, :yipee and Ammo by MiG. :yipee so far. 8 vendor tables are sold. :yipee

Twas a soggy April Saturday. Garth Brooks is in town, DemiCon is underway at the Ramada, A SurgiCon 22 is spinning up.
Rhiner's Roughnecks are ready for action. :salute Once again, dear Friends, into the Breach! Huu-Aah!
Venue.
IMG_5324.JPG

Vendors:
Frank & (invisible) Cinda Miller, of IMPS Alexander Lippisch :notworthy
IMG_5325.JPG

Virgil, his Wife, and his shiny cars! :woohoo:
IMG_5326.JPG

Dave Lentel in action :good:
IMG_5327.JPG

Chris Merseal's CRM Hobbies helps eager surgeons empty their pocketbooks :drinks
IMG_5328.JPG

Pete Gitzel came from Milwaukee to ply his unique, classic plastic wares. Lots of cool kits. No JoHan 1/72 P-40B/C kit, so far. :gogo
IMG_5329.JPG

New Surgeons, Nate & Ty Stevens' Wife/Mom & brothers Had courage enough to attend & Vend :ro: The boys are a credit to their Parents! :bat
IMG_5332.JPG

Plastic Surgeon Mike Seek's Wife, Sue, a club stalwart, mans Mike's table. Mike's the only one of us who sells his built models for others to enjoy.
IMG_5333.JPG

Surgicon 22 Raffle;
IMG_5336.JPG

Jeff (Armor-pedia) Holle mans the Super Raffle/Raffle sales station. He looked pensive, without anyone to talk to. I fixed that!!
IMG_5335.JPG

Often unseen, but still valued Surgeons, Kurt Young, Tom Hiatt, and Kevin Nelson pose to be recorded for posterity.
IMG_5331.JPG

About the Contested space. Somehow, Frank Miller seems to appear in nearly every picture I take. He moves around a lot! Some folk just don't have the proper appreciation for a comfy chair.
https://www.modelersalliance.com/gallery/albums/userpics/14699/IMG_5331.JPG[/img)
Mad City Modeler, Scott, on the far right. Gotcha!
[img]https://www.modelersalliance.com/gallery/albums/userpics/14699/IMG_5338.JPG
IMG_5339.JPG

And Now........... Models!! Keep in mind as Head Judge, and Club President, my Contest day gets really busy after registration ends at 12:00, so many of our 214 entered models weren't here when I had time to make my recon passes.
Science Fiction (We Moved The Wolfman Figure)
IMG_5340.JPG

Dioramas
IMG_5341.JPG

Junior Models. 11 contestants. A new record for our Show!
IMG_5342.JPG

Miscellaneous; Paper USS Iowa. Jeff Holle dared to enter his Zil-151 Pontoon carrier truck conversion! :coolio
IMG_5343.JPG

Mike Seek's big "Canoe" finished, cased, and on display! :captain :dude (y)
IMG_5344.JPG

Do you need a plexiglas case/cover?
IMG_5346.JPG

Ships;
Once again, my "Terror of the Yazoo River" C.S.S. Arkansas is dwarfed my very fine, larger scale vessels! Lookit at Heller's Surcouf Sub on the left. Zumbro Valley's Ray Smith is a Submarine R-teest!
IMG_5345.JPG

Out-of-Box, with instructions!
IMG_5347.JPG

Artillery. Artilerry? Artilerie? No spell-check on our fancy placard "printer"
IMG_5348.JPG

Figures;
Check out those.............Eyes!! Perverts!!
IMG_5349.JPG

IMG_5350.JPG

IMG_5351.JPG

Armor! (and Military Vehicles):soldier
IMG_5352.JPG

IMG_5353.JPG

IMG_5354.JPG

IMG_5355.JPG

:love AIRCRAFT! :love :yipee :pilot
IMG_5356.JPG

IMG_5357.JPG

Air traffic conflict above the Arctic Circle. :rotf
IMG_5358.JPG

IMG_5359.JPG

IMG_5360.JPG

Yes, Virginia, It IS 1/72 scale!
IMG_5361.JPG

IMG_5362.JPG

1/72 Aircraft. I always have had a great fondness for Mr. Frank Miller's Crusaders :salute :eek:ldguy :pilot
IMG_5363.JPG

The USMC F8U-1 Norad ADC schmeme, is my favorite! :ro:
IMG_5365.JPG

Best Cargo Aircraft Award winner.
IMG_5364.JPG

IMG_5366.JPG

HA HA!! Cinda!! Gotcha!!
IMG_5367.JPG

Left to center, Julie admires the Panzerhaubitze 2000, Kurt Grins, as usual, In orange, our own Tony Ellis had magically appeared as well!! :yipee
IMG_5368.JPG

https://www.modelersalliance.com/gallery/albums/userpics/14699/IMG_5368.JPG[/img)
2016 Chuck Sterns Award Winner: Allan Millsap's 1/48 Monogram Northrup USN F-5E Tiger II. :dance :notworthy: :rockon [img]https://www.modelersalliance.com/gallery/albums/userpics/14699/IMG_5368.JPG
IMG_5370.JPG

IMG_5371.JPG

IMG_5369.JPG

Some Contestants did VERY well in our Raffle!!
IMG_5372.JPG

You may notice, I managed not to take one picture of the proliferous Automotive entires. My apologies.

In closing, I wish to reiterate, that what I believe makes a Model Contest a success, is NOT the Club, it's members, the Awards, or the weather. It IS all of our friends and modelers who CHOOSE to spend their hard earned $$ to travel, in many cases, a long distance, to participate in our Contest. They make their best Model, carefully pack and come enter, to share in the fun of what I hope Surgicon will always be.
I'd like to Presidentially thank all of our 49 Participants and 8 Vendors, just one more time, for Choosing Surgicon 22 this year!

Thanks as well to our Sponsors! Iwata Airbrush, Xuron Tools, Sprue Brothers Models, are a few. Club members and friends who donated complete, quality kits & Items for our raffle.

As Club President I will take full responsibility for the "Hiccups" we had, and personally attend to Un-Hiccuping them. Without Club Plank-owner & contest Top-Kick Greg Metge for the first time, I felt things went better than I expected. We had a passel of new members, making them 1st time Judges. I think judging makes a man a better modeler.
I'll also extend my gratitude to our Membership for stepping up, and performing in exemplary fashion!
To the Junior Modelers who dared enter. Thank you for reminding us that we are all giant children, and for your youth and enthusiasm.
Well done Surgeons!

I need, also to thank the ever-cheerful master ship Model-maker :salute :captain Richard Sliwka, for his wisdom and patience, in leading the judging team for 1/72 & smaller Aircraft.

Brilliant Rhino!...very nice models,great photos too... :good: ... Btw,the F5 in Agressor Colors is a killer... :drool

Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

Luiz

The Text that goes with the Blue F-5E aggressor isn't visible. :smack Heaven alone knows why. Alan Millsap built the Tiger II, from the old Monogram Kit, so Alan was 2016's Chuck Sterns Award winner. I joked there was a Captain America comic book on the "Dash". but it is actually a 1/48 scale sectional map. (y) :pilot

Back