• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

IPMS Zumbro Valley "Hope it don't Snow" contest

Rhino

Super Moderator
IPMS Zumbro Valley is holding their 2016 "Hope It Don't Snow" contest 6 Feb 2016. :yipee
http://www.royaleresin.net/Zumbro/showinfo.html

The Accu-hunch weather-guess thinks a bumble snow-monster will fall from the sky here Tues./Wed.
About half of the IPMS Plastic Surgeons plan to attend, conditions permitting. Anyone else?

Dang, they posted their categories, now covenant. Who would have thought to do such a thing for a model show...

Hope y'all don't have to dig out too much and have a good showing. (y)

DIG?!? :rotf No Brudda! My snowblower has more horsepower than my work truck!
Supplies are laid in for a Tues/Wed. snow/Model/ :drinks Day!! :drunk

The Zumbro show ROCKS!! The further North I go, the more hospitality I experience, Contest-wise, it seems.
Their members sponsor all the "Best of's" and there's a whole slew of 'em!!

Here's my "M/A Roving Reporter" Show report!! :captain
Registration was straight forwards, and not too hard to do. Since we didn't know, until the day before, if it would in fact, snow, and spoil the trip, I didn't fill out any registration forms ahead of. time. It only snowed a teeny bit on Friday evening's run in, but the trusty Bird handily out ran the storm. :yipee I didn't chronicle every model. I took pictures of my favorites, and others I thought were Keen. 5 Plastic Surgeons, plus my Beloved, attended.
See Chris Krco behind the desk, and Frank Miller getting his Raffle on!
IMG_4660.JPG

Color-coded Raffle tickets coincided with colored zones where a plethora of plastic awaited lucky winners!
IMG_4661.JPG

About the Contest room. Big room! Almost pretty good light! Warm & Comfy!
IMG_4659.JPG

A hotly contested Aircraft category! :pilot Many, many truly impressive models (y)
IMG_4658.JPG

In 1/72; Photo-Panther, and F-86E Sabre, in one of my favored liveries.
IMG_4662.JPG

Judging was Gold/Silver/Bronze, according to IPMS reg's Scales were mixed together on the show tables.
Flying Thingies!
IMG_4663.JPG

1/72 Douglas F4D-1 in Her North island ADC scheme, and the prettiest bare metal finish I've ever seen, on "Mike's Bird" Sabre jet! He's missing his anti-glare panel, but was otherwise Doch Perfekt! :notworthy
IMG_4664.JPG

IMG_4666.JPG

IMG_4667.JPG

"Polish Glider" 1/72 Thud. SWEET!
IMG_4665.JPG

More Aircraft entries.
IMG_4668.JPG

You don't see this nice a job on an old Matchbox Supermarine Stranraer. this was this modeler's first try at rigging as well. He did well. He was awarded a Gold for the old Box kite!
IMG_4669.JPG

Armor thingies :v :soldier
1/72 entries;
IMG_4670.JPG

Under heavy fire, from the ballroom, The 38t and Wehrmacht soldiers defend themselves! :coolio
IMG_4671.JPG

Impressive Bradley AFV.
IMG_4672.JPG

Early Tiger I, going somewhere to make things go "BOOM!"!
IMG_4689.JPG

IPMS Alexander Lippisch' Larry's "Russian Mud" diorama. A gold award winner! :yipee
IMG_4690.JPG

IMG_4691.JPG

Mr. Bob Steinbrun's Bugatti. Gold award winner! :zen Travissimo!!
IMG_4673.JPG

IMG_4674.JPG

18-Gun Brig, The Fair American. Gold award & People's Choice award winning model. 4 years in the making, she's scratch-built from the main deck up. Also the handywork of Mr. Bob Steinbrun! :ro:
My sweetie, Donna's favorite as well!
IMG_4680.JPG

IMG_4681.JPG

Shiney Cars! Many very nice models!
IMG_4675.JPG

Penske Javelin! Cool!! :dude
IMG_4676.JPG

You don't see the old Monogram "Son of Ford" car model built everyday! A very tidy, shiney car model!!
IMG_4677.JPG

IMG_4677_28229.jpg

Scratch-built 12 months of Penguins! These were fun! :gogo
IMG_4678.JPG

A fully lighted, and detailed USS Reliant. :ro: Don't push The RED button! (y)
IMG_4679.JPG

I don't know what it is, but I thought it was really cool!!! :idonno
IMG_4701.JPG

IMG_4699.JPG

On Display, 1/200 USS San Francisco. A paper model. :v
IMG_4686.JPG

1 of 2 Impressive 1/200 USS Arizona model ships. (People who build ships in this scale are weenies!!!!)
IMG_4683.JPG

1/700 Edmund Fitzgerald (Better!) and a 1/350 Surcouf, French navy cruiser submarine
IMG_4682.JPG

Anne Bonney Bust :idonno and a Japanese vixen figure. Very intricate!
IMG_4684.JPG

Juniors; Not just entries, but the Zumbro guys help a Younger Model with finer points and judging tips too! :good:
IMG_4688.JPG

IMG_4687.JPG

Stunning Aircraft, towards the end of the day.
1/48 Cessna O-1E Bird Dog
IMG_4692.JPG

US Coast Guard WPGC-123 WR. I see another 1/700 USGC airplane in my future!!! :gogo
IMG_4693.JPG

Eduard 1/48 Late F6F-3 Hellcat. Really impressive!!
IMG_4695.JPG

I'm a sucker for a Sharkmouth! Here ya go Saul!! 1/48 Nationalist Chineses C-47 Tiger-Gooney!
IMG_4696.JPG

I like other kinds of nose art too! never saw this on a Viggen before!
IMG_4698.JPG

Zumbro Valley team, hard at it!
IMG_4694.JPG

Group Club picture.
IMG_4697.JPG

It was a fun show, and had lots of gemutlischkeiten! 357 Models. 157 Modelers, 27 Juniors. Big turnout for a local contest in winter time!!
I came away with 3 raffle prizes. A cool Navy book, a Monogram 1/48 C-47 Skytrain kit, that was missing its decal sheet,and 3 Paratroopers, and a 1/32 Monogram Panzerspahwagen that was all there, but had been started. I am NOT complaining!! I entered 2 models at "Hope it don't Snow";
My silly little CSS Arkansas Confederate Ironclad gleaned a Gold award, and may have been the only Confederate flag on display.
IMG_4703.JPG

The 1/72 Iron Hand F-8E Crusader hadn't been Up North before. She brought home a Bronze, to the Sunny (comparitively) South!
IMG_4704.JPG

This very clean HMS Queen Elizabeth won a gold award for one of the Fartin' Fleas guys from Cedar Rapids. Forgive me, I can't recall his name.
IMG_4702.JPG

IPMS Plastic Surgeons in the North land, eh! Well Jeff Holle couldn't be found for the picture. Bugger!
The_guys.jpg

Myself, George Stevens, Rodney Shackleford, Mike Seek, and Ray Powers.
Thanks to Zumbro Valley Modelers for putting on such a nice show!! :yipee :ro: :dude :notworthy (y) :dance

I spoke to John & Mary Roll, and I bought some more bitty 40mm gun barrels, and skinny Tamiya tape. They are alive & well. Gordon Kwan does a fine business at Sprue Brothers. I'm old enough to not be surprised by much. Not surprising if He eyed Roll Models most hungrily.

Nice pix Chris . Thank for posting .

If mixing scales is an IPMS rule, than I think it's plum retarded .

Cheers, Christian B)

There were 7 categories, and awards were Gold/Silver/Bronze. Some Chapters do that. Lots of awards. I think it simplifies entries, but complicates judging. Then they awarded 25 Special sponsored awards.
We divide our categories by scale for 1st/2nd/3rd prize awards. Not as many awards, but streamlined judging. see?!?
We had a very fine time!

I've never found anyone who could give me a good explanation on how you can plan the number of awards necessary for a Gold Silver Bronze method of judging. What happens if you get a category full of excellent models? First, second and third seems more user friendly for the host club, you know how many awards to plan for and keeps expenses down. What's not to like? :idonno

Excellent report, Scout! :drinks

Back