• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 scale Shrimp/Fishing Boat kit.

Rhino

Super Moderator
Sea n' Sky is creating our first resin model kit. This thread will document the process for creating a Master, making the mold and the Resin castings. :gogo :bang head :drinks
2 options will be possible. Option one is a small commercial fishing vessel, with an additional deckhouse to make a bitty Model of the Shrimp Boat made famous by a popular Tom Hanks Movie.
The Master begins with a basic hull. It came from, years back, a Revell 1/426 USS Arizona kit. #78 Drill around the edges for formers for the main deck bulwarks. I drilled #74 holes for the cleat pins
IMG_4325.JPG

Styrene strip, applied liquid cement to the strip, and clamped, with my teeny tweezers, to the formers. You can see the generic fishing boat deck house as well.
IMG_4328.JPG

IMG_4330.JPG

Now I've done it! The Secret is out. The green Dragon has much smaller hands than I do. :stinker
IMG_4334.JPG

After reviewing some references, I realized my Jenny hull wasn't "Chubby" enough. :frantic Sooo.............
IMG_4337.JPG

Hi-HO, Tamiya Putty!!
IMG_4339.JPG

Also, here is the Jenny's more sweeping Deck house rough start! :stinker
IMG_4340.JPG

:drinks :bang head :blink

Test fit of scratchbuilt Shrimp boat deck house. :yipee See also the optional Fishing boat deck house master.
IMG_4344.JPG

Started work on the Shrimp Boat's doors. :bang head One must punch out a bitty hole, then file it square with a #78 drillbit. :smack
IMG_4368.JPG

File, and fit. The Deck house looked a wee bit to tall for 1/700 scale, However, it is not a Warship!
IMG_4369.JPG

IMG_4370.JPG

Figured out the Photo-etch winders! :facepalm
IMG_4371.JPG

Hatches for the North Sea Fishing boat. No doors or winders. She'd be in more hostile Seas, than a Gulf Coast Shrimper! :skipper
IMG_4373.JPG

Jenny's coming together! Perhaps a tad more sanding & shaping. Booms, masts, and nets next! :dance
Almost ready to pour RTV for the mold!!
IMG_4376.JPG

I'm almost happy with the profile of the bow. :bang head Added the running light boxes to the top of the Shrimp Boat. I'm hoping the mold making process will pick them out. :drool
IMG_4446.JPG

I base coated both Pilothouses, and finally found Happiness with the bow profile. :bang head Finally!
IMG_4449.JPG

A few more bits & Booms, and the basic parts can got to The Mold!! :yipee
IMG_4450.JPG

The boat hull, and deck houses are ready to mold. Along with the up-graded Defiance hull, a Swift boat, the dingy for the PTF. :captain
IMG_4720.JPG

Stuart suggests I do some modeling on his favorite Star Wars Fighter. :bat
IMG_4723.JPG

Back