• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Academy Sopwith Camel

The Academy Camel uses the Hobbycraft tooling from the 1980's or 1990's. Around 2005 Hobbycraft quietly re-tooled the kit and released Clegert and Le Rhone engine versions. They feature a redesigned wing de-emphazing the ribs and new wingtips, redesigned fin and rudder, improved engine details and rudimentary cockpit. The two biggest items missing from the cockpit are the fuel tank that the seat belts attach to and the ammunition boxes. Both these items will have to be scratch built.

Tom's Modelworks makes a photo etch set for British interiors that will improve the cockpit look.

Cheers,
Rich

Thanks Rich ... Good to know ... Revell of Germany must have used a old Lindburg Pin Marks 0n top of the wing ... really destroyed the cloth detail ... :pilot

Posted: ACADEMY 1/32 SOPWITH CAMEL

So this is an entirely new kit and not just a rebox of some other company's model?

Cheers from Peter

(moved to proper thread jk)

My favorite WWI plane since I was a boy. Of course I was influenced by a certain pilot... :snoopy

Is there any aftermarket for this kit? What about generic WWI aftermarket manufacturers? I know about ships and some armor and I'm learning about 1/25 autos.

There's a lot of stuff that are for WWI aircraft in general.
Gaspatch for one.
Aeroscale has some IPs for the older stuff.
Aviattic for decals.

About the best resource,
http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/

There are a few options out there.

PART makes a PE set for the Academy Camel (You'll find it under the S32/35 button)

TOM'S MODELWORKS makes some generic British PE sets for guns, interior and spoke wheels.

TAURUS MODELS makes some resin parts for engines.

GASPATCH makes turnbuckles and guns.

BARRACUDA makes some resin wicker seats. (It seems the site is down today)

RB PRODUCTIONS makes British flat flying wires and terminals.

There may be more out there too.

Cheers,
Rich

Back