• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Iwata HP-TH review

Great review Ausf!

I'm sold, though I don't think I need one at the moment. I understand you got this for priming larger models,
I'm curious how it does for getting in those nooks and crannies of smaller stuff.

Tom

Thanks for the review Jeff! :good:
Alot of details to know about, and looks I'll need settle the workbench before give a try and buy one of these, because of the exhaustion system... :hmmm

Cheers
Art

Thanks guys.

Tom,

It's weird and definitely something I need to play around with. Yes it covers large areas, but it also covers all areas better in how the paint lands. I haven't sprayed anything smaller than Batman's utility belt pieces so far (did fine), but have some smaller stuff on the bench which will test it more. Instinctively, I wouldn't grab this to prime a 1/35 figure, but I have a feeling it may do a better job on it.

Art,
Ventilation is a must. At first I thought it was just the volume of paint, but on further testing, I've been spraying less paint in shorter bursts and the fogging is still there. It's probably more a by product of the blunt tip, since the paint/air mix is less concentrated than a fine detail brush.

I wonder...and not to take away anything from this product but...if one would blunt an old needle would we get the same effect?

Does this airgun have the adjustable air flow to create a fan patter like what Paul talks about in his videos?

I wonder...and not to take away anything from this product but...if one would blunt an old needle would we get the same effect?

Does this airgun have the adjustable air flow to create a fan pattern like what Paul talks about in his videos?

There are two caps, one that sprays a fan pattern, which is the one I used on all testing. If you look at a closeup of the fan tip, there's two small holes in the 'arms'. The actual fan pateern sprays, between the arms, so the air flow is forcing a circular pattern to bend into a oblong pattern. That probably has a lot to do with the atomization and fogging too.

I bet you could get a similar effect with a blunt needle on a finer brush, but it would still have to seat in the nozzle without leakage and the point would have to be ground evenly so the spray would go straight. I can be done, but you'd be risking a needle or two trying to get there.

Paul's spraying is really the epitome of ABing. The man has skill. What looks like a simple pass is a perfectly timed danceand it's a real leap of confidence. I'm nowhere near that yet, but in my jerky, timid handling, I haven't had any pooling or pebbling yet, which I can't say wouldn't happen with my smaller brushes.

My intention isn't to push this gun, it certainly is a luxury compared to one all around brush. I'm just surprised by how much it does make a difference. I ended up buying a med-fine detail siphon first, then a detail gravity and then this. IMO opinion, the best aresenal would be a med-fine detail gravity feed and this one (or similar wide pattern).

I can see that fan pattern making a huge difference. I got a needle that has a broke tip, I may shape it up a bit and see what happens, I could always sharpen it more to a point once done playing.

You can see how blunt the tip is in the photo and it starts immediately outside the nozzle lip.

If you could somehow chuck the needle in slow moving drill, you may be able to grind it easily enough, or at least consistently.

Definitely worth a shot with a bad needle.

Back