• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Lafayette Scale Modelers Show June 6, 2015

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
This excursion had a new twist to it. Due to the distance from home, we decided to leave Friday after I got off work and drive the 4 hours over to Fayetteville, NC. Friday night traffic through the Charlotte metro was killer, but we managed to yak all the way there. Moon Puppy came up from the south, apparently had better luck with the traffic than we did and as already there when we arrived. We had a great supper and hit the rack early in preparation for our day at the show. The show was held at a local college gymnasium, loads of close parking, great lighting and a good array of vendors. We got there when the doors opened at 8, so we had first crack at the vendor tables. Here's proof.

The entries were dominated by aircraft, so there's lots of wings to follow.

IMG_7175.JPG

IMG_7176.JPG

IMG_7177.JPG

IMG_7178.JPG

IMG_7180.JPG

IMG_7179.JPG

IMG_7181.JPG

IMG_7182.JPG

IMG_7183.JPG

IMG_7184.JPG

IMG_7185.JPG

Several models at the figures table evoked some discussion as to the "family" oriented nature of the subject, I just photograph them?

IMG_7186.JPG

IMG_7187.JPG

IMG_7188.JPG

IMG_7189.JPG

IMG_7190.JPG

IMG_7193.JPG

IMG_7194.JPG

IMG_7195.JPG

IMG_7196.JPG

Lots more to come, I'll post them later tonight.

Iron Mike reporting for MA News. :drinks

Chris was excited that Dana Bell, formerly of the Smithsonian, was at the show chatting with builders. He is an authority on aircraft and aircraft colors, I invited him to check out our site. He was most gracious and spent a good deal of time with us.

IMG_7173.JPG

IMG_7172.JPG

IMG_7174.JPG

Back to the model tables...

IMG_7219.JPG

Our buddy Dave Dunson showed up with a bunch of excellent models, including The French Salute V.

IMG_7220.JPG

IMG_7221.JPG

IMG_7223.JPG

Another international incident, hmmm? :rotf

IMG_7224.JPG

IMG_7225.JPG

IMG_7227.JPG

Whew, my clicker finger is tired. More photos to come, stay tuned. :drinks

I only got a couple of shots. Will post after supper.

It was a long drive, thinking back on how I drove from Grand Forks ND to SC without stopping, I could never do that today. This was my first road trip since joining the zipper chest club, driving wasn't so bad but I had to pull the old man at the show and have a sit spell, course that had nothing to do with getting there at 8am to be the first to hit the vendors....:rotf

You haven't posted the one I'm looking for to comment on so i'm in holding pattern. :pilot

Great pic's Mike, thanks for sharing.

I've always heard the Fayetteville group puts on a great show, and one of these days I might actually get out to one. I really miss going to shows.

:drinks SIERRA HOTEL! Tiki!!
Well done. Didja get any vendor shots?

Mike hasn't posted the picture of the USS Midway (Impressed I recognized it? :skipper ) but I had a question. Would USS Midway have had F18s on it?

Sweet, nice stuff there.

I love the reboot of Anne Francis in Robbie's hands. Quite the pair of...ah...sunglasses. :D

More photos...

IMG_7228.JPG

IMG_7231.JPG

IMG_7232.JPG

IMG_7233b.jpg

IMG_7234.JPG

IMG_7235.JPG

IMG_7236.JPG

IMG_7237.JPG

IMG_7238.JPG

We decided to break for an early lunch, stopped by The Hobbit on the way to the restaurant. What a cool store, loaded to the gills! Friendly staff too. :good:

IMG_7229b.jpg

IMG_7230b.jpg

Visit them in person or at hobbithobbyshop@gmail.com.

After a good lunch, we went to one of the best hobby shops I have ever been in, Hayes Hobby House. Mike Starling and his crew really treated us well and we stocked up on some much needed supplies. I apparently had a lunch hangover (no alcohol involved) and did not take my camera in, so no photos from the store, but it is worth the trip.

Back at the show, we found that many more entries had arrived.

IMG_7239.JPG

IMG_7240.JPG

IMG_7241.JPG

IMG_7242.JPG

IMG_7244.JPG

IMG_7243.JPG

IMG_7245.JPG

IMG_7247.JPG

IMG_7246.JPG

IMG_7248.JPG

This did not photograph as well as I'd hoped, cool subject.

IMG_7249.JPG

IMG_7252.JPG

We took a quick break to check the vendors out again, lots of deals to be had. Mark from Mark's Models and Toys had his line of Starfighter Decals there, plus many 1/72 scale resin parts. That really made Chris' day! Visit Mark at www.starfighter-decals.com.

Back to the tables...

IMG_7250.JPG

IMG_7251.JPG

IMG_7253.JPG

I wonder what this red button does?

IMG_7254.JPG

Despite the admonition to "never push the red one", I did. The lights came on under deck!

IMG_7255.JPG

IMG_7256.JPG

IMG_7257.JPG

IMG_7258.JPG

IMG_7259.JPG

IMG_7260.JPG

FIGHT!!!!!!

IMG_7261.JPG

IMG_7262.JPG

IMG_7263.JPG

Those wacky sand people!

IMG_7264.JPG

IMG_7265.JPG

IMG_7266.JPG

IMG_7267.JPG

IMG_7268.JPG

This fellow was still working on this piece at the display table.

IMG_7269.JPG

IMG_7270.JPG

It's hard to tell from the photo, but this was in 3D.

IMG_7271.JPG

IMG_7272.JPG

IMG_7273.JPG

IMG_7275.JPG

Someone has first hand knowledge of helos, my photos do not do it justice.

IMG_7274.JPG

IMG_7277.JPG

IMG_7279.JPG

IMG_7278.JPG

IMG_7281.JPG

IMG_7276.JPG

These were fun!

IMG_7282.JPG

IMG_7283.JPG

IMG_7284.JPG

IMG_7285.JPG

SCRATCHBUILT !!!!

IMG_7286.JPG

IMG_7287.JPG

Autos

IMG_7288.JPG

IMG_7289.JPG

IMG_7290.JPG

IMG_7295.JPG

Cool!

IMG_7291.JPG

IMG_7293.JPG

IMG_7292.JPG

IMG_7294.JPG

More aircraft...

IMG_7296.JPG

IMG_7297.JPG

IMG_7300.JPG

IMG_7301.JPG

IMG_7302.JPG

And that concludes my photo report from Fayetteville. A big thank you to Mike from the Lafayette Scale Modelers for the hospitality and the info, it was a swell show! (y) :drinks

Hayes Hobby Shop

http://www.hayeshobby.com/

Hobbit Hobby

https://plus.google.com/117642728170617637844/about?gl=us&hl=en

IMG_7274.JPG

This one would have been best of show in my book.

I totlally missed that P16..I mena P61,

IMG_7249.JPG

OK Contender for Best of show.

Even more great pic's.

I've been following the progress of the build of the Sand Crawler, its an all resin kit. The guy who built it is on a couple other modeling forums I'm on, and I follow his build page on Facebook. He also did the Rancor w/ the Gamorrean guard, the Wrangler Viper & the Budweiser F-5.

Several years ago I had the opportunity to visit Hayes, and was absolutely blown away when I walked in, couldn't believe it in there!

Even more great pic's.

I've been following the progress of the build of the Sand Crawler, its an all resin kit. The guy who built it is on a couple other modeling forums I'm on, and I follow his build page on Facebook. He also did the Rancor w/ the Gamorrean guard, the Wrangler Viper & the Budweiser F-5.

Several years ago I had the opportunity to visit Hayes, and was absolutely blown away when I walked in, couldn't believe it in there!

The staff at Hayes hobby house are about the most helpful group of people I have met to date (y)

Surprisingly , I found as much stuff at Hobbit Inc. that could keep me going in my particular interest :good:

Would not have believed it if I had not been there personally !

Cheers, Christian B)

Mike hasn't posted the picture of the USS Midway (Impressed I recognized it? :skipper ) but I had a question. Would USS Midway have had F18s on it?

While editing the photos, I cropped off the subject on the submission card, but I'm pretty sure that is supposed to be the USS Coral Sea in 1986 and yes, there were F-18s stationed on her. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Coral_Sea_%28CV-43%29#/media/File:F-18As_on_USS_Coral_Sea_%28CV-43%29_Jan_1986.JPEG
:skipper

Even more great pic's.

The staff at Hayes hobby house are about the most helpful group of people I have met to date (y)

Surprisingly , I found as much stuff at Hobbit Inc. that could keep me going in my particular interest :good:

Would not have believed it if I had not been there personally !

Cheers, Christian B)

I agree, both very well stocked with supplies and kits. Actually I thought Hobbit was better stocked with plastic than Hayes but supplies, Hayes had them and in this day of age I think that's how the LHS will be surviving IMHO.

While editing the photos, I cropped off the subject on the submission card, but I'm pretty sure that is supposed to be the USS Coral Sea in 1986 and yes, there were F-18s stationed on her. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Coral_Sea_%28CV-43%29#/media/File:F-18As_on_USS_Coral_Sea_%28CV-43%29_Jan_1986.JPEG
:skipper

Didn't even think to look at that. :facepalm

So much for being some Navy ship IDer.... :drunk

The day I was in Fayetteville that I got to stop at Hayes, I wanted to stop at Hobbit too, but ran out of time. Eventually I'll get back out that way, and I'll make sure to stop at both, and hopefully I'll have money in my pocket.

Is the Lindberg Trawler the one that was sunk, when a cow fell out of the sky, in the south China Sea? :frantic
Good job Guys!!

Back