• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Zoukei Mura Pro Zetsu Nippers

Thanks Saul. It looks interesting, but the cost kind of worries me. I have a set of Source (Radio Shack) cutters I use that were around $5.00. I use them for the same thing. With mine I can also clip off extra plastic when doing a conversion or whatever. Now are these in your opinion worth the cost? Would you recommend someone get them in addition to whatever they might currently be using?
James

Thanks Saul. It looks interesting, but the cost kind of worries me. I have a set of Source (Radio Shack) cutters I use that were around $5.00. I use them for the same thing. With mine I can also clip off extra plastic when doing a conversion or whatever. Now are these in your opinion worth the cost? Would you recommend someone get them in addition to whatever they might currently be using?
James

Well James, I now have four sets of cutters:
[ol]
[li]Xuron knockoff which I paid about $5USD for and the rivet is loose so I had to wrap it in fuse wire to tighten and solder the wire in place (forming a washer of sorts)[/li]
[li]Testors' Model Master side cutters which are quite nice and I was satisfied with as they are the made by Xuron. These sprue cutters are the same but I got a better price than buying Xuron.[/li]
[li]Xuron's 2175ET Professional sprue cutter which I picked up after hearing so many speak highly about their Tamiya items but these are slightly cheaper and have a lifetime warranty. The cut was so fine that no one with a Tamiya side cutter could prove theirs was any better. While the nose is thinner than Tamiya (allowing one to place it closer to the parts still on the sprue) it still cuts sprue runners easily.[/li]
[li]Pro Zetsu Nippers are designed by the owner of Zoikei Mura himself. The warnings that these are only to be used for cutting sprue gates got me curious. The cutting surface is very narrow, 5mm, allowing them to fit in more places than any of the other cutters. However, these are also the most delicate.[/li]
[/ol]

ProZetsuNipper09.JPG

The bottom line is that they are indeed expensive. They have the finest cut of all my cutters and are very comfortable but are only for right handed modelers. Left handed modelers need to order the left handed nipper. I will be trying them out continuously and see if they fail.

I'll wait to see it on sale somewheres.

Volks USA is where you'd need to look. ;)

Regards,

Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, and SA Dave

It is time to start the annual Christmas Wish List....

What was the cost again ..... ?? ... :hmmm

I guess you didn't read the review completely...

$36USD is the price from Volks in Japan and it seems to be the same from Volks USA.

Regards,

I didn't see it the 1st time .... but I did manage to find it after I perused the review ...... the 2nd time ...... :skipper dang Cadillac's in me eyes ......

he4c8a9e.JPG

h2726205.JPG

h3fc3a40.JPG

I'll just stick with these at 33 dollars (US) .... and with a 10% discount it's under $30 ...... :eek:ldguy

I got these from all the good reviews about it. I guess it's ok but I really don't like holding it, just not right for my hands.

Xuron%201_zpsbycfltul.jpg

Xuron%202_zpszzi5wgzo.jpg

I guess it cut's ok but I don't like using it at all.

he4c8a9e.JPG

h2726205.JPG

h3fc3a40.JPG

I'll just stick with these at 33 dollars (US) .... and with a 10% discount it's under $30 ......

How do they cut? They don't seem to have a spring either...

I got these from all the good reviews about it. I guess it's ok but I really don't like holding it, just not right for my hands.

I also have these (Xuron 2175ET) and like them a lot. What is wrong? Is the spring too hard/soft? I read Paul's (Heavens Eagle) review of these and the Xuron photo-etch shears. I did temper the spring on the shears, as per his review, and they are much better now.

Regards,

They open to wide in your hand and it's like I have to hold the cutter and readjust in my hand with my other hand. Just don't seem to fit good in my hand.

Saul on the citadel cutters ..... the spring is inside the fulcrum area and can't be seen .... not over powering and they feel very good in your hands .... like I say I pick them up, they feel so good in your hand, they make Me want to cut plastic !!

Those have some really nice looking cutting edges, but I don't see any return spring to open them up. If that is the case, I would have problems with using them too.

Saul I'm glad that little tempering suggestion helped. It is a scary procedure as it can sure destroy the spring, but if done right it can improve the tool's usability greatly. I am always modifying my tools after purchasing them. (The Xuron PE cutter as an example) Other tools like tweezers have to be maintained and refinished in order to keep them crisp and working properly.

Found this interesting little gadget this weekend. 2-3 $ range.

Nippers_002a.jpg

As you can see it's used but with spare blades and that price range, it does not matter if I should somehow trash it. :frantic

Nippers_001a.jpg

Cheers, Christian B)

Found this interesting little gadget this weekend. 2-3 $ range.

Nippers_002a.jpg

Christian, what started my 'quest' was a number of posts by people 'swearing by' their Tamiya sprue cutters. I thought it ridiculous that people would pay so much to cut sprues. After all, my technique was to cut the sprue near the part, trim, file, sand, & polish. Then I learned that they cut parts free and stated their cutters were better than what I had at hand (Testors Modelmaster by Xuron and a cheap knockoff). Having been to Saco, ME, the town where Xuron is located, I decided to get a pair of their professional sprue cutters and the PE shears while I was at it. Paul's review had me convinced and I was happy to see how well (clean cut) they went through sprues:

hb881e23.JPG

Then I got the one in this review and it cuts closer than the other:

h62b795e.JPG

So, how well does this one cut?

Regards,

I would not compare it to a laser cut but definitely worth the 3 $

nippers003a.jpg

Nippers_001a~0.jpg

As you can see , on the right side of the fuel tank that it cut the nub pretty darn flush but there stil will be some cleaning up to do.

I can see a couple of positives about this one though.

If the blades becomes damaged you van replace them instead of discarding the entire instrument .

secondly, you can get close to your work and the way it fits in your hand you could do it all day tirelessly. ( not that I plan on that )

Cheers, Christian B)

Those do look nice Saul! I guess I should take some photos of the cutters I use. One set for heavy cutting and one delicate set that I modified and sharpened. (and I do mean sharpened) The edges on the modified cutters actually have a cutting edge that will shave some plastic off. So I only use them for cutting parts off of sprues.

Back