• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Photo Review: Trumpeter's 48th scale A-37B

Sharkmouth

Information Overload
Staff member
Decades ago, I visited this aircraft at different air bases in Central and South America, while I have the very nice Monogram kit (only needs re-scribing), I am happy to see this release (even if they didn't niclude any of the shark mouth schemes sent):

TrumpeterA37Bbox.JPG

TrumpeterA37BSprueAfront.JPG

TrumpeterA37BSprueArear.JPG

TrumpeterA37BSprueBfront.JPG

TrumpeterA37BSprueBrear.JPG

TrumpeterA37BSprueC1front.JPG

TrumpeterA37BSprueC1rear.JPG

TrumpeterA37BSprueC3front.JPG

TrumpeterA37BSprueC3rear.JPG

TrumpeterA37BSprueD.JPG

TrumpeterA37BSprueE.JPG

TrumpeterA37BSpruexDecal1.JPG

TrumpeterA37BSpruexDecal2.JPG

TrumpeterA37BSpruexPE.JPG

An in depth look comes later.

Regards,

Interesting that they did the refueling boom as an overlay but probably cheaper than a new fuselage. The decals though more of them don't look to be much of an improvement, still looks like the red bars on the US starts and bars are off a bit.

Thanks Saul, who's building it first?

Q: Did Cessna build any other purpose built combat aircraft? I know several of their designs were militarized but the A37 did not have any civilian counterparts, that I know of.

Interesting that they did the refueling boom as an overlay but probably cheaper than a new fuselage. The decals though more of them don't look to be much of an improvement, still looks like the red bars on the US starts and bars are off a bit.

On the real aircraft, the refueling probe is scabbed on. I agree on the decals and have Aztec Decals sheet to replace them.
A-37B_Minigun.jpg

Regards,

Thanks Saul ..... Looks like quite a few bits ...... Thanks for Sharing .... about what is the scale wing span ......... :pilot

about what is the scale wing span ......... :pilot

36 scale feet = 9 actual inches for 1/48th scale. Six actual inches for 72nd scale. I had hoped to hear about this aircraft in 32nd scale where the wingspan would b 13.5 inches.

Regards,

Well, the shine wore off quickly!

Comparing the Trumpeter kit to my unbuilt Monogram Dragonfly, I see that the shape outlines are nearly identical but then there are the differences:

TrumpeterScribed panel linesNice weapons loadPE included
MonogramExcellent pilot figuresBetter detail in the cockpitCorrect raised details

Quilted walls on Monogram kit become tiles(!) on Trumpeter.
TrumpeterA37BXtraDetails01.JPG

TrumpeterA37BXtraDetails03.JPG

TrumpeterA37BXtraDetails04.JPG

Chines are longer on the Trumpeter kit, Monogram is better here...
TrumpeterA37BXtraDetails05.JPG

TrumpeterA37BXtraDetails06.JPG

Raised riveting is correct.
TrumpeterA37BXtraDetails07.JPG

Let's compare the aileron leading edges. This is Trumpeter...
TrumpeterA37BXtraDetails08.JPG

Here is Monogram's. Guess which is correct? I could do without those huge slots for the pylons.
TrumpeterA37BXtraDetails09.JPG

Once I scribe in the panel lines, I prefer Monogram's rendition. Also note that the engine exhaust is correctly uncovered on the American kit. The plate on the Chinese kit belongs to the T-37 with the smaller engine.
TrumpeterA37BXtraDetails10.JPG

Monogram's upper wing on the Trumpeter lower wing.
TrumpeterA37BXtraDetails11.JPG

Trumpeter's upper wing on Monogram's lower wing. Yes, the logo must go!
TrumpeterA37BXtraDetails12.JPG

Monogram's single point refueling probe. Note, while it can be used for air-to-air refueling, most countries simply refuel both tanks at once using this with a fuel truck.
TrumpeterA37BXtraDetails13.JPG

Trumpeter's is fine in detail but the 'hump' is wrong.
TrumpeterA37BXtraDetails14.JPG

Regards,

Back