• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

SurgiCon 21 Des Moines IA

Rhino

Super Moderator
SurgiCon 21 was held Saturday Last, 11 April 2015. We had 29 entrants, with a total of 118 Models entered. We also had the pleasure of 8 good quality vendors! The weather was perfect, perhaps too much so, after so many days of rain & cold. I was Head Judge of our show for the first time. :bang head There had been some discussion in our pre-contest meeting, about whether our members would enter our own show or not. I didn't, and Many of our members did not. We felt like our awards should go to the Folks who took the time & trouble, and expense, to come join in our fun! I only took a few pictures, as I had quite a lot of official-ness to do, :facepalm and Awards presentations. Here are a few! 1/72 Aircraft;
IMG_3195.JPG
IMG_3197.JPG

1/48 Aircraft;
IMG_3198_281024x52029~0.jpg
IMG_3198_28229.jpg
IMG_3199.JPG
IMG_3200.JPG
1/32 Scale Aircraft; Adam Mangold's Sopwith Pup.
IMG_3201.JPG

Pete brought 2 really nice 1/32 entries; :pilot
IMG_3202.JPG

Franz Olsen decided the contest display tables would make a nice place to work on his 1/350 Star Trek Enterprise. I disagreed, but whaddyagonnado?
IMG_3203_281024x46429.jpg

Rod Shackelford's Out Of Box award winner 1/48 tamiya Spad
IMG_3205.JPG

Richard Sliwka's Best Out Of Box award winner; USCG Spencer WPG-36 :captain
IMG_3206.JPG

We had more Autos this year. Bill & Tom came all the way from burlington, and brought their "Shineys"!!
IMG_3208_281024x88429.jpg

IMG_3209_281024x66129.jpg

IMG_3211.JPG

That's all I've got. Our 1/35th scale armor category was lightly entered. I think that's because our Guys didn't bring their finest. We had an entry in 1/35 Armor, that went unjudged. The Model was made from scratch, in the 1980's by a Modeler who has since passed away. I'll not dignify the Entrant by naming him, :bat as he continues to enter the little Renault in contests, as if he'd built it himself. :stinker Most Foul! Everybody knows who he is. :tomato

The Zumbro Valley Modelers came in force with many a 1/72 & smaller Armor & Military Vehicle, so thanks to our brethren from the frosty North! Somebody had time for more pictures than I did, so you can see the bitty handiwork!

Some very nice models. Seems weird that someone would build a kit on the display table though. Even weirder that someone would bring in a kit numerous times and not even built by him. Oh well. Love that Spad, the exhaust looks great from here. Thanks for posting.
James

It looks like a good turn out and I'll bet everyone had a fun time. Any additions to your collection? Thanks for sharing. (y) :drinks

Why is the armor gone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JImcvtJzIK8

:hmmm

:drinks

1/35 Armor was lightly entered. Our Club members, Many who are Armor builders, mostly didn't enter our own show, so the Awards would go, mostly, to guys who took the time, expense, and trouble to come share in our Fun! The Zumbro Valley Modelers brought a bunch of 1/72 & smaller Armor & Vehicles, I saw a few Men, from our Brothers to the South, but not as many as I'd hoped for.
I was called away on urgent Head Judge duties, before I completed my Photo pass.
None of the Targets were defended, but I never got away from category splits, judging, and announcing awards, to make a second pass. :bang head Sorry.

I swear it! I shall not fail again! I hope someone else will be Club President next year.
I was bitterly disappointed with our small turn out this year.
Our Awards were engraved pint glasses. Something a Guy could use, instead of piling up plaques, of putting those cool coin awards in a drawer. I have a proof of the pint glass, and I use it all the time! (see above 'Why is the Rum gone')

Great report Chris, thanks for sharing.

James we see the same DR1 at every show we go to around here. Almost deserves an award for making so many trips, but na....

Back