• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hobby Elements Molding Flash Sander

jknaus

Administrator
A while back I mentioned these handy little sanding bits had just been released. I bought some and gave an initial try but not enough to write a review about. I just have not used them since. Between my frequent off days where I could care less about modeling and my days where I could model and therefore did, these have not entered my thoughts. Well a lot of people want to know what they are like so I dug a bit and found a very good review on another site. So I will link you to it to see what they are about. http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/tools/he/tool_he_7001.shtml
I just dont know when I will get to them at this time and I have a review of a book that I have to work on first. And just as a reminder of what they are the youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfjCzlIOxTY

James

I remember seeing a video on them, possibly by the manufacturer, awhile back, and was very impressed by then. Still seriously considering getting a set when funds allow.

*edit* Just watched the video you linked, and that's the one I remember watching, and was, and still am, very impressed.

Those look great.

I have burring bits and I have chucked small files in a drill, but this seems to combine the best of all worlds.

I just wish they had an easier way to get your hands on them.

I'll email today to see about the process.

:rotf Dave. Would be entertaining to hear the explanation.
Ausf, after I emailed them they sent a paypal invoice. Paid and a few weeks later they arrived.
Adam I posted the video when I first found out about them. I think it covers pretty well everything.

On a personal note when I did try them I used them on low speed and where a ssprue gate was it skipped or dug in. Maybe next time I will try higher speed and see if I can have more control when using it. Other wise the seam I sanded came out pretty nice. I just have to use these now. I keep forgetting and my file works pretty good anyways. As soon as I do get to useing them and get comfortable I will leave word on my feelings towards them.
James

I got a response to the email, just waiting on the invoice.

I wrap different grades of sandpaper on skewers to smooth out hollow areas, etc, but by hand it's a slow process. I was trying to adapt an old Wahl clipper to make a micro-sander, but didn't get to far.

This seems like a great solution to sanding the nooks and crannies with sculpting.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

I dont know if you have tried it, but years ago when the first battery operated tooth brush came out I cut off the bristles and glued sand paper to it. Recently I have tried pushing a wad of steel wool down into the bristles leaving a cushion of it up top. Makes a great rotary sander for seams etc. Hope that might be another inexpensive idea for sanding for you.
James

I've got an Oral-B rechargeable toothbrush that I use as an electric sander. Works great for it. I've bought multiple heads for it that I have put different diameter & length dowel rods on, and then different grit papers as well. I love it. I've had it for several years but its only really in the last year or two that I've actually started using it, and it makes a huge difference.

Cyber Modeller has come out with an update to their review with a you tube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krGvMALGPj0#t=145

I want one of those stylus dremels, but mostly this should help you decide if you want these.

James

I have a Dremel Stylus and absolutely love it, it works great.

Someone posted on one of the Facebook groups I'm in about a new Dremel called the Dremel Micro, which I'm definitely going to look into.

Dremel 8050 Micro

Back