• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Xuntong 1/48 DB-3F / Il-4 a quick look in the box

Old Dog

Well, the long anticipated (by me anyway) Xuntong Il-4 landed on my doorstep today so here is a quick look in the box.

il4-box.jpg

It comes in a box suitable to the size of the kit with a corrugated top and bottom. The kit is presented on five sprues in light gray and one in clear, each in its own cellophane bag. According to the box the kit contains 409 parts but a number of those won't be used. The molding is crisp with only traces of flash here and there. The surface has a slight texture to it but not so much as to be an issue. The surface detail consists of recessed panel lines and some rivet and fastener detail. The panel lines are OK for the scale by my criteria and the fabric surfaces though a bit overdone are better than most. The main control surfaces are molded separate. There is a good supply of external ordinance supplied. There is no PE or resin parts supplied. OK lets look at plastic.

il4-01.jpg

il4-02.jpg

A close up shot to illustrate surface detail

il4-03.jpg

The kit has two nicely detailed engines and two sets of cowlings depending on version want or you can chose an optional cooling fan and hide the engines completely.

il4-04.jpg

il4-05.jpg

A nice set of ordinance is included

il4-06.jpg

The clear parts aren't bad, thin enough with good frame detail but they are lacking a bit in optical clarity, hopefully future will help.

il4-clear.jpg

The decal sheet is huge, about 8 1/2" x 11" and contains marking for no less than 11 different aircraft in a variety of color schemes from one color top sides to three color top sides and both blue and black undersides.

il4-decals1.jpg

il4-decals2.jpg

The instructions are contained in a 38 page booklet which is quite comprehensive and includes useful cut a ways to help illustrate how some of the parts go together. I also contain a comprehensive paint chart and painting and marking diagrams. The photo below is an excerpt which also shows some of the level of interior detail.

il4-inst.jpg

All in all it looks like a nice kit of a mostly unpublicized aircraft that was built in fairly high numbers (over 5,200) and were used extensively during the Great Patriotic War. Xutong took a beating on their Tu-2 series due to shape errors and if there are any on this one I'm sure we'll hear about it but I do not have any good references to compare so I'll abstain on making any judgements on that issue.

If you would like to see a more comprehensive review of this kit in the future please shout out.

Thanks for looking !

I would rate them quite good with the possible exception of the ones around the end of the nose (not the nose cone itself but the ones directly behind it) which are a bit soft but I have seen much worse on other kits.

Test fitting would be part of a more complete review, not gonna happen before the end of the month

Right Paul, with my current backlog I should get to this one third quarter of 2016 :gogo

Thanks for the review (y) I saw that Spruebrothers has 2 of these in stock right now. Just hope they still have one tomorrow when payday rolls around :D

Thanks Garry . Nice review of a little know aircraft .

Looks pretty well made from here .

Cheers, Christian B)

A size comparison for Bob, I didn't have a B-25 in the stash but here it is in comparison to the B-26 and He 111

il4comp1.jpg

il4comp2.jpg

Hmmmm.... looks like a candidate for a Christmas present... obscure, mid-late 30's and can be done up in different schemes...

They have them at ScaleHobbyist for $42... if anyone just has to have one...I'll wait for Christmas and my birthday.

Back