• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

HobbyBoss BV 141, a quick look in the box

Old Dog

The latest from HobbyBoss, something a bit out of their comfort zone as they typically release main stream and safe kits. I was a bit skeptical when I heard this was on their release schedule as I have heard a variety of comments about their kits that run the gamete from good to poor so lets see what's inside.

141new-box.jpg

Sort of an average size box but it's actually a tad small as the the longer sprues just barely fit. Inside the box the kit is presented on three sprues in a medium gray color. Each is packed in its own plastic bag (y) For the clear parts each sprue is individually bagged and inside the bag it is wrapped in foam, so far I give them high marks for packaging so lets take a look.

141new-01.jpg

The parts are cleanly molded with only a little flash here and there. Surface detail consists of fine recessed panel lines that are uniform and look good for the scale. All of the control surfaces are molded in the neutral position. I did notice some real faint sink marks of the upper surface of the wings, the area between the two red lines, where the upper gear bay structure is on the underneath side. I'm not sure if this will be noticeable once painted. You can also get an idea of the size of the panel lines.

141new-02.jpg

The next photo shows the fabric control surfaces, a tad heavy but should work for most.

141new-03.jpg

The cockpit and crew area seem well appointed and should please most of which is on the next sprue

141new-04.jpg

More interior parts, landing gear and engines.

141new-05.jpg

An idea of the level of interior detail can be seen in this page from the instructions

141new-inst.jpg

The one thing that would make or break this kit would be the clear parts and I think HobbyBoss scored big on that account. The parts are thin but not so thin as to be fragile and optically clear. I'm not sure a dunk in future will improve them any except to provide some protection. Frame lines are well defined and areas to be painted are frosted. Hatches in the upper canopy are supplied as separate parts so they can be posed open.

141new-clear1.jpg

141new-clear2.jpg

141new-clear3.jpg

141new-clear4.jpg

141new-clear5.jpg

The decal sheet provides markings for two aircraft, one in RLM 02 over RLM 65 and one in the normal splinter scheme over RLM 65. The decals look thin and in register but has a bit more excess clear film than I would like to see and they had a funny texture about them as if the rice paper protector was put on them before the ink had completely dried. I have not experienced their decals so can not comment on how they might work. There are decals for the instrument panel, which is supplied as a clear part and some other panels as well.

141new-decals.jpg

Overall I'm impressed, the kit was much better than what I might have expected, the clear parts are excellent, I hope the kit sells well as there are some other obscure German aircraft I'd like to see done up this nicely.

Thanks for looking !

Real neat Gary, I would love to build one of these but I doubt I would get to it i n the next 20 years

Very cool Gary ! That one is actually stranger than the BV 138 .

This kit would probably be a good reference for a 1/72 build :D

Hope you build it (y) . Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Gary!

I have the HiPM kit in the stash and I've had this kit in my sights. Might just pick one up n the future now that I see it up close.

Nice looking kit Gary. I seem to recall someone saying that the prop is backwards on this kit, but I could be mistaken.

Yes, it does appear to be incorrect and to me at least the BMW 801 engine looks undersized when compared to other kits I have with that engine. It still has to be an easier build than Historic Plastic Models kit which does have the propeller correct and doesn't include an engine, just a PE fan. Just another opportunity for the after market folks. I won't attempt to build mine until Eduard dose a mask set. I do have a Black Magic set of masks for the other kit but would be greatly surprised if they fit this one.

Back