• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Mini-Review: AMMO of Mig Panel Line Washes 10

Sharkmouth

Information Overload
Staff member
Last month, I received the new AMMO of Mig aircraft Panel Line Washes for Soviet Black and Green Camouflage (set 9) and Natural Metal Finishes (Set 10). I had been asking Miguel Jimenez to release aircraft specific sets for many years.

AmmoOfMig09and10.JPG

First, some background. I've known Miguel Jimenez from before he started Mig Productions. Working for the telecom, I was able to speak to him on the telephone and he was always amicable and freely shared his thoughts and techniques. Fast forward all the years in between and he now has his third company with a name which I think is a play on words.

While some web sites call his company Ammo by Mig, it is AMMO of Mig. This comes from exactly translating 'Munición de Mig' word for word. It is a play on words since Amo de Mig means Mig's Love and we all know he loves modeling! AMMO of Mig has already released eight aircraft sets and this is their tenth. The ninth will be reviewed separately.

After returning from a trip, I decided to try Set 10. Inside the blister packaging we find three bottles as seen below.
AmmoOfMig10.JPG

To do this, I took out my Hasegawa 1/32nd scale Ki-84 lower wing and spray painted it with Testors ModelMaster Aluminum Plate (buffing formula). I allowed it to cure 24 hours and buffed it.

Ki84August2014a.JPG

Ki84August2014b.JPG

I then applied the Testors ModelMaster Metalizer Sealer and let it cure 48 hours.

AMMOofMig10a.JPG

AMMOofMig10b.JPG

These are enamel washes and I was fearful that my test mule's paint coat had not cured long enough. Using a Testors ModelMaster Number 3 paintbrush (a pinstripe brush which means it is long so that it holds more paint but still comes to a sharp point), I added (from left to right in the photograph) Blue Black, Deep Brown, and Deep Grey to the lower wing.

AMMOofMig10c.JPG

After waiting ten minutes, I used an old T-shirt to wipe the wash in the direction of the airstream if this were a real aircraft.

AMMOofMig10d.JPG

Close up of the area with Blue Black.
AMMOofMig10e.JPG

The central section had Deep Brown added and wiped.
AMMOofMig10f.JPG

Here is where Deep Grey was tested.
AMMOofMig10g.JPG

It should be noted that each of the three bottles is available separately and PLW002 (Deep Grey) was already out. These sets are composed by combining three of the available bottles for a particular subject.

So, do we really need these sets? The truth is that many of the old hands are familiar with making enamel paint washes using thinner and paint. However, not many of us modelers have had the benefit of an art degree or familiar with art to know which colors are best for a particular subject's scheme. This is where these sets come in. They are assembled by subject and made from the highest quality so one can be subtle, as I prefer, or harsher with making the panel lines stand out.

My fears of it stripping my metal coats was unfounded. The fact I was able to remove most of the wash to leave only a hint shows some versatility that I didn't expect. Of course, one can add a second wash or combine with other techniques to weather and highlight. I am pleased with this set as the packaging took out the guesswork as to what colors to use for Natural Metal Finishes.

Regards,

The Blue Black seems to be the most visible.

The Blue Black is the most visible in the photos but a touch harsh in reality, I prefer the Deep Brown but, having all three, I will try again with the following approach:

Blue Black - removable panels, movable surfaces (rudder, ailerons, flaps, and elevators).
Deep Grey - regular panel lines above and below.
Deep Brown - dirt and grime on the lower surfaces.

Regards,

You hit the nail on the head about what colors for what schemes. They look good from here also. (y)

Really like the idea of marketing weathering sets to aircraft genera. :pilot

Back