• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

IPMS Plastic Surgeons Surgicon 20 Des Moines, Iowa

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
Mark your calenders for a day of fun and friendship, Surgicon 20 is April 12, 2014 and promises to be better than ever!

2014Surgicon20ContestFlyer.jpg

The venue is easy access from I-235 and is always a hoot and a half. B)

Wish I had the money. Got family in the area I'd love to see, and go to a great model show while there would be awesome.

I wish to go too... :silly:
but it's a little far from Brasil... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Good show everyone and x2 "take pictures!"

Cheers

Art

This is gonna be our biggest show ever! Lots of vendors, plenty of model space, and our usual Surgeon hilarity!! I'd like to extend our most hearty invitastion to all you guys!!
I've sponsored the Chuck Sterns award, for all you Classic Modelers. Bring out your coolest Classic model, and have a shot at this trophy!
GA129large28129.jpg

Our other trophies will be cut marbel with appliques!
Come on, have some fun already!!

Surgicon has always been in April, they have massaged the dates a little over the years. I haven't been able to attend one since we moved to NC, but they are always well attended, have good vendors and lots of fun. Wish I could go this year.

Surgicon has always been in April, they have massaged the dates a little over the years. I haven't been able to attend one since we moved to NC, but they are always well attended, have good vendors and lots of fun. Wish I could go this year.

Thanks!

Yeah, I can't justify a 630 mile round trip just to try and score some kits on the cheap. The gas+hotel if I stayed over night would wipe out any savings and end up costing me.

It sounds like a load of fun, but there is no way I can justify it.

15 years ago Jeff would have said "HELL YEAH!"

Jeff with a wife, three kids, and a mortgage says "Darn, can't do it"

We voted last night, to make the "Theme Award" Anything 20's, something special. I doubt I'll get my wish: to have a 20 inch tall commerative award, for this category, but Brummbar & I are working on it! If U choose to miss all the fun, shame on U!!

I couldn't stand to award a wall-eyed, ding-a-ling looking Chuck Eagle. Soooo................
GA129large_2.JPG

I fixed His eyes!
GA129large_3.JPG

A much more menacing, er, Purposeful looking Eagle, for the Chuck Sterns Classic Model category!
I was looking for a "Last Great Act of Definace" effect.

I tried to get better pict's of the Chuck trophy, for all you Guys. The Eagle came with cast on pupils, and I didn't think they portrayed the proper attitude.
GA129large_4.JPG

I wet-sanded the eyes smooth, primed with Floquil Reefer White, painted the eyeballs silver, added the black forward looking pupils, overcoated the eagles eyes with Tamiya clear yellow ('Cuz Bald Eagles have yellow tinted eyeballs!) then sealed them with Future, for a good shiny finish.
GA129large_5.JPG

I think I can properly honor my Ol' friend Chuck, and award this too some Galoot, who spends WAY to much time & talent, on a favored Classic kit!
GA129large_6.JPG

Any of you Guys, that don't make it to our show, don't get a shot a Chuck's trophy!! HA

A little update on our show next week. At this point we have 13 vendor table sold with a week to go. Besides the usual hobby vendors I am happy to announce that Grex Airbrushes, Xuron Tools and Draft Decals will be there.

There goes the spending budget! Grex are nice airbrushes but it would be hard for me to switch to a pistol grip.

Aimee tried one of those pistol grip ones at the NATS in Omaha couple years ago. She really love it but is hard pressed to spend over 200 bucks or as little airbrushing as she does.

Here come the Pictures!!
Ross, the model wagon peddler & Eric Grossman!

IMG_1594.JPG

Ships Category

IMG_1596.JPG

Armor, 1/36th & smaller;

IMG_1597.JPG

military Veh, 1/36th & smaller;

IMG_1598.JPG

Looks like there were some monkeyshines going on? :laugh: B) More photos, please! :drinks

IMG_1598~1.JPG

1/36TH & smaller military Vehicles.
IMG_1599.JPG

Interesting Russian A/A Ford 1 1/2 ton truck.
IMG_1600.JPG

1/36th & smaller Armor,

Back