• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Kitty Hawk's 32nd scale T-6 Texan

Sharkmouth

Information Overload
Staff member
KH32001box.JPG

Box art of a warbird residing on Long Island, NY.

KH32001SprueAfront.JPG

Above and below, both sides of sprue A.
KH32001SprueArear.JPG

KH32001SprueBCfront.JPG

Above and below, both sides of sprues B & C.
KH32001SprueBCrear.JPG

KH32001SprueDfront.JPG

Above and below, both sides of sprue D.
KH32001SprueDrear.JPG

KH32001SprueEFfront.JPG

Above and below, both sides of sprues E & F.
KH32001SprueEFrear.JPG

KH32001SprueGPbox.JPG

Above is the box and below the contents of sprue GP.
KH32001SprueGPcontents.JPG

KH32001SpruePE.JPG

A very small PE fret with seat belts. Popeye has a mean tan...

KH32001SpruexDecals.JPG

Two very large sheets with decals. I won't be using them except for some stencils but a few are incorrectly spelt.

KH32001SpruexDetails01.JPG

KH32001SpruexDetails02.JPG

KH32001SpruexDetails03.JPG

KH32001SpruexDetails04.JPG

One of two spinners. This one is not even mentioned in the instructions.

KH32001SpruexDetails05.JPG

Notice the shape at the base of the propeller blades. It will need trimming.

KH32001SpruexDetails06.JPG

Note the scribed cut line (not mentioned in the instructions) which mark what must be removed to use the extended exhaust as per Harvards.

KH32001SpruexDetails23.JPG

The extended exhaust is included.

KH32001SpruexDetails11.JPG

The British style spade grip. Forgive me, I photographed the aft end.

KH32001SpruexDetails07.JPG

The inner side of the rear canopy shows that this release is intended as a Texan only since cut line to replace the rear deck for the longer item on the Harvard is not included.

KH32001SpruexDetails08.JPG

KH32001SpruexDetails09.JPG

KH32001SpruexDetails10.JPG

The second spinner which is the one to use. I prefer the one piece.

KH32001SpruexDetails12.JPG

The rear of the instrument panel showing nice details, only wiring is needed.

KH32001SpruexDetails13.JPG

KH32001SpruexDetails14.JPG

KH32001SpruexDetails15.JPG

KH32001SpruexDetails16.JPG

The main gear leg mounts are far too inboard. I will remove them and place them further out when I add the trunnions to each leg.

KH32001SpruexDetails17.JPG

Cut line scribed on the inside of the decking to replace the panel with a bulged MG panel.

KH32001SpruexDetails18.JPG

The bulged MG panel.

KH32001SpruexDetails19.JPG

KH32001SpruexDetails20.JPG

These center line mounting holes may need filling.

KH32001SpruexDetails21.JPG

KH32001SpruexDetails22.JPG

KH32001SpruexDetails24.JPG

Matra rockets.

KH32001SpruexDetails25.JPG

T-10 rockets.

KH32001SpruexDetails26.JPG

MG pods.

KH32001SpruexDetails27.JPG

KH32001SpruexDetails28.JPG

Regards,

Twin .30cal I think. Fitted to post war AT-6's especially the Portuguese and French machines.

Have to say this looks like a spectacular model, and definitely one I'd build, especially in one of the RNZAF colour schemes.... Mmmmm Kiwi Harvard....

Be difficult to ignore, eh ??

Ian

Just checked my Squad/Sig 'T-6 in Action' definitely twin .30cal's but I don't know how that would tie-in with the decal options illustrated on the sheet - German, Italian & UK T-6's were unarmed, SAAF ones did carry weapons from time to time, US ones carried smoke-marker rockets in Korea, which are in the pics....

Maybe they're thinking about doing a 'revised tooling' later on with alternative canopies/exhaust etc like Occidental did with their 1:48 kit ??

Ian

Maybe they're thinking about doing a 'revised tooling' later on with alternative canopies/exhaust etc like Occidental did with their 1:48 kit ??

Ian, the longer exhaust, spade control grips and decals are there but the alternative frame less canopy is not the same used by the Commonwealth Texans named Harvards.

Some (on other forums) are already bemoaning the kit's lack of Harvard canopy and mention a lack of detail. The parts are only taped in these photos:
KH32001zFit00.JPG

The fit is quite good.
KH32001zFit01.JPG

Regards,

What lack of detail? They not drawing red lines on old photos are they? I suspect someone is already stamping out some correct canopies getting them ready for market.

What lack of detail?

I don't see a lack of detail. Simplified perhaps but it is there and it looks good compared to the real thing:

Click image to go to my Gallery entry of an SNJ-2.

Regards,

Ok so what model out there that does not lack some detail or another? That's where the modeler steps up and fills in the gap, or accept the fair representation that's in the box.

There are only two or three pics that make me think the detail on some pieces/ parts are a bit clunky. The ip,and the Brit control stick looking thingy plus the prop blades being attached as the are aids me in really screwing up a good propeller. I will be buying it.

And never forget there is a particular type of person in the hobby that are just waiting to be disappointed by everything that is released unless it comes from a particular factory be that in Japan or the Czech Republic... Personally when something new that I can see myself buying comes along, I read three of four reviews that I consider objective and knowledgeable, and make a decision based upon those and my 'desire' to build the kit.

But regarding the kit in question. Good to hear that there's a spade grip and extended exhaust... and yep I'm with Bob, you can virtually guarantee that somewhere out there in AfterMarketLand a wee artisan is busy hacking-out an alternative canopy. And yes I will be buying one in the very near future despite its 'lack of detail'.

Ian

Back