• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Shapeway 3D printed parts

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
If you have not heard of 3D printing yet, crawl out the hole you've been hiding in and pull up a stool.

In a nutshell, you can print in various types of resin materials. Much like your inkjet printers of old. Only now it is come off that flat page and into the real world.

From Wiki:
Additive manufacturing or 3D printing[1] is a process of making a three-dimensional solid object of virtually any shape from a digital model.link

So yeah, it's like freakin' Star Trek replicator thing!

This started like most things, with a question. Where might I find the track tensioner for my M4A3e8 Sherman tank seeing how it is prominently displayed on the side of the tank I am building. Everyone's pal Saúl García pointed me to the website http://www.shapeways.com/ where they have the part, 6 of them for just 10.99.

Here's how it works. You have a 3d drawing you want printed out (the engineers at our plant call it a prototype printer) but you can't afford one of the new 3d printers(yet). You upload your drawing to Shapeways and they print it for you. Now if you really like your part and you want to share it, you can setup a store on Shapeways and sell your parts to the public. This is what Mike Canaday of MMC Designs has done. Mike Canaday has a warehouse full of unique Sherman parts listed at Shapeways. I'm sure we can get the full story on Mikes motivation after this look-see is over.

I evaluated the shipping and risk and figured for $17.49, I'd like to see how this works. I placed my order on the 20th of July, which was a weekend. Got immediate email confirmation that the order has been received. Monday the 22nd of July, I got email from Shapeways at about 3:00P:
Once our robots have finished creating your order and we make sure it's perfect, you'll receive an email from UPS, which will include the tracking information of your package.
Not my order has been printed, the PART has been printed. Part arrived at my mail box today and lucky me, I had an dentist appointment so I got out of work early to pick it up and take a look.

I must say, I am impressed with the level of detail from the first look.

t80tension01.jpg

There is absolutely no clean up in the likes of which we are use to. No resin pour slabs or sprue gates to clean up. Only clean up that's needed that I see is some of the suspension material that is used in the printing process. I used my airbrush with the pressure turned up a bit to blow out the one on the right, the others still have some material stuck. Check out the gap between the screw gear and the jack housing!

t80tension02.jpg

We get 6 of these tensioning fixtures. Enough to use on 3 Shermans as I assume they were equipped with 2 each. What's neat to me, these parts are not copies of each other, they come in two positions on the screw jack. One wide open and the other close to completely closed. Adds a bit of variety I think.

t80tension03.jpg

Look down in there, can you see the detail on the screw gear? I'm sure it will show up better after being primed.

Saúl tells me not to clean it with any soft of chemical, I'm not asking him how he knows, just taking his word for it. I'm looking for suggestions on what to prime it with and will share with you all as soon as I find out.

But for me, the options here is boundless. If you can draw in a CAD program you can now have a part custom made for you and in your hand in less than a week. Pretty cool times we live in huh?

Shapeways, I give a enthusiastic thumbs up and thank you Mike Canaday for filling a void on the Sherman front!

A little hard to tell with the translucent material Bob. I can say that all the new Brassin from Eduard have the masters 3D printed. The parts are absolutely smooth and super highly detailed. How I know the masters are printed is that the pour blocks have the coarse 3D texture which on that part it isn't a problem. As to the odd parts I guess I will have to get back into the 3D modelling like I did a while back. :hmmm

There are some types of plastic used in 3D printing that they recommend dipping the part in acetone to smooth them. Some of the plastics are also very heat sensitive and can soften and droop in a hot room.

Cheers,
Rich

Saúl tells me not to clean it with any soft of chemical, I'm not asking him how he knows, just taking his word for it.

I screwed up THREE sets of Sherman idlers with my ultrasonic cleaner.

Now if we could just get them doing WWII German parts...

Mike Canaday only has done Sherman stuff for now and is avidly Allied.

Regards,

I believe the main problem was the Ultrasonic Saul.

Most soaps shouldn't hurt anything. Also it isn't resin with the release oils. If there were any oils it probably would not bond to itself during the printing process. Other than part cleanup or removal of leftover supporting print you should be able to just paint it.

Back