• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Well, I Guess I'd Better Get Started!

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
After much waffling and searching for inspiration, I have finally decided on a direction for this project. The photo that was shared actually got me thinking about trying some new stuff, as did the build of one of our talented members! So here goes, what's the worst that can happen??

IMG_3830.JPG

st-come-du-mont-fountain.jpg

IMG_3829.JPG

IMG_3828.JPG

I have laid out the street and sidewalk on cardboard to get a feel for the size, will transfer that to some Styrofoam for the base. I am still sorting through my ideas for the rest of the scene, but at least I'm off the dime!!

OK, already feeling cobbleSTONED! Got the good tunes on, with about 20 more minutes to work on this before I go to the movies with Chris and his wife. Holy moley, this is tedious!!

IMG_3833.JPG

IMG_3834.JPG

I laid out the general size of the rows and ground off a #16 X-acto blade to the right width. I used a single edge razor blade for the long runs and then made a story stick and the modified 16 to gauge the "stones". :gogo

You bought that blueboard? I wish you had told me that's what you were going for, I have a full pack of that stuff. Bought it for the house addition and it never got used.

Good looking start Mike. Lighting the fire for me to get back on mine.

NOW he tells me he's got blue board! :laugh: That's OK, I stimulated the economy! I did make it to the bench today, tried to upload the pix to the Gallery, but it kept spitting them back out! I marked out all the rows for the cobbles, ran a single edge razor blade down the length. I ground a #16 Xacto blade to the approximate width of the stones and carefully marked out the cobble (very boring!)

IMG_3834.jpg

I then cut cardboard to the same size as the foam to support the base. I used my template to raise the curb above the street level.

IMG_3835.jpg

IMG_3836.jpg

IMG_3837.jpg

IMG_3838.jpg

I assembled the well with a minimum of sanding to square up the parts, using Aves Apoxie Sculpt to hold it all together. The heavy consistency of the Sculpt allowed me to level the parts as I went and it dried rock hard overnight. I have it sitting on the base to give a sense of where I'm headed with this.

IMG_3840.jpg

IMG_3839.jpg

The curb came out pretty well (I think).

IMG_3841.jpg

Comments, critiques, suggestions always welcome, thanks for looking!

Level? we're suppose to make these things level?

I like it Mike, looks like you've done this before. really nice details you're adding to the street and curbs.

Well Mike, in my opinion you chose a hard road to follow: figures are pretty much a mystery to me, I mean, they seem to be one of the most difficult objects to model and specially to paint... :unsure:

That said, I liked the idea a lot and will follow this here build of your's very closely.
emoticon_nod.gif

Cheers! B)
Fernao

Hi Bob! Yeah, level helps! :laugh: I haven't made styrofoam pavers before, but have a little real time experience.

Thanks Fernao! I'm not planning on doing the scene in the b/w photo, using it for the street and well reference, so there may not be any figures.

Hey Jeff! Thanks, but remember, this is all seat o' the pants and could go bad in a hurry! :idonno

"... I'm not planning on doing the scene in the b/w photo, using it for the street and well reference, so there may not be any figures. ..."
Well then... what should we expect to see on the dio? Perhaps a Zundapp with a sidecar, or a tank replenishing it's radiators, or...
emoticon_noidea.gif
...?

Cheers! B)
Fernao

Wonderful stuff, Mike- the masonry looks great. Gotta get me some of that Aves stuff- haven't heard a bad thing about it. How will you fill/seal the foam? I've had great luck with good old every day spackle.

Cheers!
chuk

Hey Chuck! I have some lightweight spackle that I was planning on filling some of the voids and smoothing some of the stones, but I am flying seat of the pants and hoping not to crash! Thanks for the kind words, any suggestions you have would help greatly! The Aves stuff is really easy to use and goes a long way!

Great minds think alike! You can seal the spackle with Future- I used to to seal balsa back in my Rubber-power free flight days. It's super-light and seals that thirsty grain in one pass. B)

Making pavement out of blue board! I'd never thought of that. Wow!!!! I'll have to try that out sure beats making bricks out of cork.

Terry B)

Hey Terry! The blueboard idea wasn't mine, learned it from one of our "Masters", but found out about the technique from Randy Ditton. I just moved it to the pavement instead of making bricks. It's tedious, but I only have a couple hours in all of it. :gogo

Back