• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Modeling for Competition: Know the Rules

Man that's a lot to take in. I'm looking forward to looking over all this when work slacks up a bit.

Yeah! That's why some folks get slammed when they enter a show. You need to study the rules or be mentored by a local club. Believe me I went to my first shows without doing either one and got my head handed to me. Lesson learned.

Terry B)

Very interesting. I don't know how judging feedback is with AMPS contests, but the IPMS contest I have been to, getting feedback from judges is like pulling teeth. They judge and take off to see what they won at the raffle table or to hurry up and pack and get a good seat for the awards.

Very interesting. I don't know how judging feedback is with AMPS contests, but the IPMS contest I have been to, getting feedback from judges is like pulling teeth. They judge and take off to see what they won at the raffle table or to hurry up and pack and get a good seat for the awards.

That's a good point. AMPS judges will put any feedback on the entry sheet. For IPMS seek out the head Judge and ask questions. He should direct you to judges for the area in question.

(y)

Very nice article Terry. If I be able to do the basic part of it, my models gone be much, much better! (y) , thanks for sharing.

While ago, here in Brazil together with a friend, we translate the IPMS handbook, which have a part of the text, but not so clear as Terry put it to us. The point is that sometimes we forget the simple things, wich make a huge diference at a competition.
Here in the events that I'd go, I listening a lot fo modelers complain about the criterion's used to judge. Of course some Open's don't worry about say which one they follow. About 2 years to now, is been large use the IPMS Handbook, since the most clubs are associated with the IPMS, APMS is almost unknown for these lands.
And I bet that the modelers don't look tho known the rules, a part of them, before go to a contest.

Nifty instructional Terry! (y) I'd add two additional points to your IPMS guidelines, if I may.

The model entered in an IPMS Contest must be constructed entirely by the Entrant. I won't tell the long story, but we've had an aging modeler bring a Tankette that his friend, whom passed away, God rest Him, built, and entered it under his own name. We, as a Club, chose not to judge the Model. I wanted to disqualify him for cheating, and LAUNCH him. Discretion was the better part of valor that day. :bat
I have a dear old friend who built AMAZING Aircraft before he died. I pay the extra entry fee, and enter them under HIS name. Chuck is the only IPMS member I know of, to win an Award posthumously. He's not won any raffle prizes. I KNOW He laughs at me from On High!

Second, If you build a Model, build the WHOLE kit. I've seen really striking Aircraft models have the inside of the canopy painted. There's stuff in there, Doggone it! I want to see the "Front Office" too! No IPMS reg. I know of says you have to use all the parts in the kit. It counts against "Construction".

Not every IPMS judge carries a Sidearm. Many of them have tips & techniques to pass on to all y'all. ASK!! We is all PEOPLE! Don't just pack up, sob, and leave!! I saw an AMAZING build of Revell's old 1/32 Hawker Typhoon, all the bells & whistles, but She had a gap in both leading edges, at the wing root, on both sides. :smack EZ fix for an otherwise truly, excellent Model. I didn't get a chance to speak to the Modeler. I dearly wished to.

N
I have a dear old friend who built AMAZING Aircraft before he died. I pay the extra entry fee, and enter them under HIS name. Chuck is the only IPMS member I know of, to win an Award posthumously. He's not won any raffle prizes. I KNOW He laughs at me from On High!

Now that's funny right there...don't care who you are.. :rotf

Truly! All of you that know me, know I'm an incurable jokester, but this was from the Heart. Chuck won a Gold in 1/72 Aircraft in Madison, for his 1/72 Vacform US Navy T3-D Sabreliner, and another at the Cedar Rapids show, and a 2nd place at the Omaha show for His 1/72 A-4M "Lady Jessie" Skyhawk. Hey Y'all! Dead Guys are beating you!! Turn your model-ness up a thousand or two! We both got skunked in Marietta, this last March. IT was still FUN!!
MUHHU HA hahaha HA!

N

Now that's funny right there...don't care who you are.. :rotf

You got that right!!! :yipee :drinks

Terry, thanks for starting this. I for one find it all very interesting since I've never entered, nor attended a model contest. Looks like I have my work cut out for me if I ever decide to enter one!! :eek:hmy: :bang head

Terry, thanks for starting this. I for one find it all very interesting since I've never entered, nor attended a model contest. Looks like I have my work cut out for me if I ever decide to enter one!! :eek:hmy: :bang head

Just take it one step at a time. Use the rules like a check list.

B)

Back