• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

About the tip jar

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
I promise the banner will be moved later on to the bottom of the page. Just wanted to put it out there.

The reason we have created the donation button is, as it states, to remain privately funded. This site is not free. It is to you users and there is no requirement for subscriptions. There's been many dicusssions back and forth about the funding of the site and it was decided that we do not want to be a commercial website with paid advertisers banners all over the place.

We on the staff are all volunteers and we do this in our spare time. As much time as some of us spend on the site, you'd think we're getting paid by the hour. Personally I just enjoy the info coming and going.

I will share with you the comments I made to the staff about this over a month ago.
I have tapped on your opinions from most of you about the subject. And with all things considered I have decided not to accept advertising or create banner ads. I do not mind sharing the reasoning behind this.
[ul]
[li]It generates work that I don't have time for.[/li]
[li]I don't want to have to go after vendors to get money from them they owe. [/li]
[li]I don't want the drama of "where did my banner go" when said vendor doesn't pay what's owed[/li]
[li]There are several issues of licensing of the software that runs this site if it turns into a commercial site.[/li]
[li]I would hate to see banners all over the site cluttering up stuff.[/li]
[/ul]

What I will do, maybe after the first of the year, is configure a Pay Pal donation button on the site. I have created an email account that is tied with my personal paypal account where money will be dropped in. I do not expect it will cover cost but it will help. I'm not looking to make up money already spent, never have, I only look to help cover cost. As traffic increases we will need to upgrade our services which will cost more lunch money than i'm spending now.

Being a Donor to the site does not buy any special privileges. Maybe we could create a little badge or something that folks could put in their signatures or their profile but I leave that up for discussion. I also will leave up for discussion the reimbursement of expenses anyone else on the staff incurs in the running of the site. James, your book you bought comes to mind.

If anyone has any suggestions, comments or grips let me know.

As always, let me know what you think, other than it needs to get off the top of the page....I know that already. :D

I think it's fine. At first when it first popped up I thought I had been on the site too long. :lol: :lol:

Terry :D

heheh...it's a bit overpowering. Maybe James can figure out how to tone it down some, or reduce the size.

More news is coming, got something else in the works I need to let everyone know about, it's major on my end but not so much on yours, other than these unexpected down times we see all too often.

I guess you know if we see a bunch of latest acquisitions in the forums from you we're going to have a
good old Redneck Tar and Feather Party around this joint.:woohoo:

Tony Lee:laugh:

I tested it, it really should open in an new window as there is no way to return after they go through the process at PayPal's site.

Wait a second, did I actually send something? Who the heck is "Bob"? This donation is for Modelers Alliance...

Bob, you may want to change that.

Regards,

Where did you see Bob at? Should be paypal@modelersalliance.com.

I will change the target window, if I can figure it out...

And Terry, Thanks! Your time you put in is more than enough, I appreciate your donation. Big Manly Bear Hug to you all.. :mpup

Big Manly Bear Hug to you all

dyn_8_14_19_0_0_0_0_0_0.gif

big manly bearhug ... isn't that a contradiction in itself?

dyn_3_54_76_0_0_0_0_0_0.gif

Back